Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2008, 10:32 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I don't know what I saw tonight

but it scared the living poo out of me!

Cycling home tonight (about 6:10 - pitch black), I'm tanking (ahem) down the bridleway that is about 1/2 mile from the nearest road. As dark as a coalhole picnic, and I'm on my own. Not seen anyone since clearing the suburbs 2 miles back.

I've cleared the last bridlegate, which are always a bit unnerving as you've stopped now and it's quiet... very quiet and you can't see a damn thing.

Got past that, up to about 18-19 mph on the last stretch and I suddenly shot through a body shaped mist patch!

It appeared in my front light beam and before I knew it I was straight through it and past.

The thing is: I have a very powerful front light and it easily lights up a good 100' of the path, but this mist just appeared right (2') in front of me and I barely had time to register the shape and I was through

There was no way I was going back to check what the heck it was... there was no ground mist, no buildings near by, nothing. Clear. Mist. Clear.

Only I have to cycle back that way again tomorrow night......
Old 27 October 2008, 10:33 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Take a camera and a change of underwear.

Helmet cam???
Old 27 October 2008, 10:34 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Simon C
Take a camera and a change of underwear.

Helmet cam???

**** present list
Old 27 October 2008, 10:39 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You haven,t been on the smack again have you??

Seriously, sounds WELL scary fella, i bet you got upto about 40mph on the bike.....
Old 27 October 2008, 10:41 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

It was probably steam rising up from a fresh dog turd and the lights on your bike were playing games with the mist.
Old 27 October 2008, 10:43 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not the kind of person to believe in ghosts etc: I believe life is life, and it's as simple as that. I'm also not religious in any way.

However, one night last year mid winter I was leaving a town near me called Peebles. The road goes uphill into a heavily wooded area with a castle down a sheer drop to the left through some trees. There is a wall seperating the road from the trees and the drop.

I am certain that I saw a faint figure reaching out from the trees towards the car. Felt all the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and I immediately locked the doors, whilst continuing to sh*t myself all the way home.

I still get shivers thinking about that. Have no idea what to make of it.
Old 27 October 2008, 10:59 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

Me and my mates used to love **** like that happening when we were younger, although crapping your pants at the time the thrill was worth it.

Anyone got any good/bad experience's with a weegie board?

We did it a couple of times when in our late teens and after the second time i vowed never to touch the fecking thing again as it was way way to freaky
Old 27 October 2008, 11:05 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Over the last few years there have been sightings of a ghostly lady on the A22 dual carriageway near Caterham. All the sightings have been late at night and of a woman. Here is one story...

Apr 27 2006
By Stephanie Turner

MYSTERIOUS sightings of a "ghostly figure" wandering across the Caterham bypass have left police officers stumped. Several drivers have now reported spotting the young girl as they travel along the A22 in the early hours of the morning. But a full-scale police search - involving a helicopter and the dog unit - has uncovered absolutely nothing. Father-of-two Matthew, who did not want to reveal his surname, was driving along the road at 2.30am on Thursday, April 13 with two of his work colleagues. The 36-year-old from Whyteleafe said: "We saw a young girl's figure cross the road in front of us. It totally freaked me out. "We decided to call the police and they said that somebody else had also reported it. "She was wearing black boots or wellies, a dark top and a beige skirt. We turned around at the roundabout and went back along the bypass; the figure was still there. "We saw her three or four times that morning. She was just walking across the road. All three of us saw her; it really freaked us out." Matthew added: "The girl did not have any features on her face. It made the hairs stand out on the top of my neck. "It wouldn't stop me going along there in the future but I have never seen anything like this before. It's the kind of thing that you don't believe until you see it for yourself." The mystery girl walked from the northbound carriageway over to the southbound lane near the edge of the woods. Matthew and his colleagues, who are floor layers, remained at the site near a milestone until the police arrived. An officer claimed spooky sightings dated back to 1962. Another driver went to Kenley police station to report the incident. A spokesman from Surrey Police said: "Surrey Police were contacted by the Metropolitan Police just after 3.10am on Thursday, April 13 after a motorist attended Kenley Police Station. "He said that he had been driving along the A22 Caterham bypass when a young white woman wearing a miniskirt and ripped tights had run across the road in front of him and into woodland towards Tillingdown Farm. "Several other motorists contacted police around the same time to report seeing the same thing. "Witnesses described the woman as being in a distressed state and so officers, including a dog unit and the Metropolitan Police helicopter, searched the surrounding area but could find no trace of her. "An almost identical incident was reported to police by a lorry driver at the same time on Wednesday, March 1. Again officers searched the area but could find no trace." The spokesman said that although he was aware that similar incidents had been reported over the years on that stretch of road, there are no records of when these sightings were or how long they date back. A website called the Paranormal Database records another spooky incident in the area around the A22 on July 28, 1963. It states that eight figures dressed in black cloaks were seen running and leaping around heading towards the dual carriageway.

Another story here Caterham ghost

My mate was one of those searching that night, and recently he got called again to the same incidient, except this time they found something........

Some transvestite dude in a nighty!
Old 27 October 2008, 11:09 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 97TURBO
Me and my mates used to love **** like that happening when we were younger, although crapping your pants at the time the thrill was worth it.

Anyone got any good/bad experience's with a weegie board?

We did it a couple of times when in our late teens and after the second time i vowed never to touch the fecking thing again as it was way way to freaky
Yeah when I was 3 I used to sit and chat to a dead coal-miner or something on the stairs in our house outside of Stirling. Apparently the house was built near some kind of collapsed shaft that had killed a few men. I described a miner/underground worker down to a tee apparently and had absolutely no way of knowing about it at all.
My parentls decided to wait til I was older to talk to me about it as they thought it would freak me out a bit. It did anyway.

In the same house, my father chased a ghost across his bedroom thinking it was a burglar and he promptly just crashed into the wardobe with nothing to show for it but a few bruises.
The next door neighbour and longtime family friend (who was also a copper) had had several bizarre experiences on the cul de sac we lived on with things he could only explain as hauntings.

I do remember there being a really heavy, dark feeling about the street/houses but not alot else.

I think it's Ouija or sommat rather than weegie btw
Old 27 October 2008, 11:18 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torquemada
Yeah when I was 3 I used to sit and chat to a dead coal-miner or something on the stairs in our house outside of Stirling. Apparently the house was built near some kind of collapsed shaft that had killed a few men. I described a miner/underground worker down to a tee apparently and had absolutely no way of knowing about it at all.
My parentls decided to wait til I was older to talk to me about it as they thought it would freak me out a bit. It did anyway.

In the same house, my father chased a ghost across his bedroom thinking it was a burglar and he promptly just crashed into the wardobe with nothing to show for it but a few bruises.
The next door neighbour and longtime family friend (who was also a copper) had had several bizarre experiences on the cul de sac we lived on with things he could only explain as hauntings.

I do remember there being a really heavy, dark feeling about the street/houses but not alot else.

I think it's Ouija or sommat rather than weegie btw
If your a Stirling man you are bound to know about the many ghostly sightings in Nicky Tams Bar in the town Centre? Most haunted pub in Scotland, with the exception of the Kings House near Glencoe.
Old 27 October 2008, 11:28 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 97TURBO
If your a Stirling man you are bound to know about the many ghostly sightings in Nicky Tams Bar in the town Centre? Most haunted pub in Scotland, with the exception of the Kings House near Glencoe.
I did move away from Stirling when I was young and then moved down to sassanachland a little while after that and so I don't know loads about that pub but it rings bells. Stirling is fairly full of haunted houses etc. including the castle, as far as I know. Do they still do those night tours?
Old 27 October 2008, 11:34 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

It's a warning, get back in the scoob. Cycling is not good for the soul

Old 27 October 2008, 11:53 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Kieran - Sounds like it might be will o the wisp. We used to get it beside a river near us when I was a kid. You would get a wavy 'cloud' 6 or 8 foot tall that would just appear and disappear. Apparently caused by rotting vegetation letting off gases. I remember watching it once when the cloud just combusted - it was there - flash of flame - gone. Scared the **** out of me for years afterwards (I was only about 8 at the time)
Old 27 October 2008, 11:57 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
Kieran - Sounds like it might be will o the wisp. We used to get it beside a river near us when I was a kid. You would get a wavy 'cloud' 6 or 8 foot tall that would just appear and disappear. Apparently caused by rotting vegetation letting off gases. I remember watching it once when the cloud just combusted - it was there - flash of flame - gone. Scared the **** out of me for years afterwards (I was only about 8 at the time)
Aaawwww, spoilsport.
Old 28 October 2008, 12:06 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I was watching The Most Haunted on TV, on Saturday night with the family. Last night was a terrible night for me with the flashback of the programme. Indeed I would debate every phenomenon that took place in that show, on scientific grounds. But just the thought of the ghosts was making me wanna go for a wee
The worst thing is that I visit a friend in Denbigh who lives very close to the haunted mansion. How many times I have mentioned to him that I so admire the mansion's architecture; that I would like to own it one day in my dreams (I honestly never thought of it as that famous haunted asylum from the past), but he has kept his mouth shut about the building. It has made me very curious about that place. But,

I won't want to own that mansion anymore now although it may be the most suitable accommodation for me

LOL spooky things get to me
Kieran, you sleep with your lights on tonight, mate
Old 28 October 2008, 12:18 AM
Wenker Man
Scooby Regular

Just be wary if your bridle path goes over a driveway entrance. Not knocking you, just some of the locals near me.

I regularly collect cyllists tanking it down the bridle path that crosses my parent's driveway, as the hedegrow means I'm reversing blind. Seems the boot of a car rolling out backwards isn't enough to phase them to slow down and maybe give due consideration that I cannot see them.

Of course, because I disturbed their thrill of speed whilst "In The Zone", its somehow my fault that I don't have magical x-ray vision. to see through both the C-pillar and the hedge.

Hence, maybe I need some mystic mist via some dry ice and to play a CD soundtrack of the theme to Halloween. It might slow them down a little, maybe not. Or they won't see the car and crash into it. LOL.

Do you think dressing up as Mike Myers would help?
Old 28 October 2008, 08:47 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Mike Myers? I cant see how being Austin Powers will help at all
Old 28 October 2008, 09:30 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great you cycled through a Ghost,hey it is coming up to Halloween you know,maybe this ghost is trying to make contact with you..Think a helmet cam would be a good idea,have you heard about the naked ghost.Some ghost that as been seen roaming the woods in the nude,a person managed to get a good pic of the face early one morning...

Old 28 October 2008, 09:43 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kieron, wouldnt worry about it, I worry about having a Range Rover Sport Supercharged driven by a Cheshire WAG type, on the mobile whilst hoofing it to get little Serafina or whatever to Ballet as she is late because lunch ran over and she had gone for the extra glass of wine coming out of the mist at 60.
Old 28 October 2008, 09:46 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

I don't know what I saw tonight

Yes you do; a "body shaped mist patch".

At that speed it only takes 4s to cover the 100'.
Old 28 October 2008, 10:52 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
What he said Don't worry, read this and your mind will be put at rest Will o' the Wisp
Old 28 October 2008, 11:30 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

In the town of Pershore Worcs. they built houses on the very old cemetery of the monks from the local Pershore Abbey. Apparently the people living in them often see ghosts of monks in their houses. I used to work near there so I heard about it but never saw anything like that myself.

What the OP saw was probably a Will o' Wisp.

Les
Old 28 October 2008, 01:51 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I bet you lot were the ones who ALWAYS spoilt the Ghosts stories that you tried to scare each other with around the camp-fire.

Bunch of bloody stick-in-the-muds.

(and you're probably right about the cause as there are alot of leaves on the ground of the path as there are high hedges on both sides for long stretches... this does NOT stop you being boring )
Old 28 October 2008, 01:55 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Kieron, wouldnt worry about it, I worry about having a Range Rover Sport Supercharged driven by a Cheshire WAG type, on the mobile whilst hoofing it to get little Serafina or whatever to Ballet as she is late because lunch ran over and she had gone for the extra glass of wine coming out of the mist at 60.

....so true !!
Old 28 October 2008, 09:08 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torquemada
I did move away from Stirling when I was young and then moved down to sassanachland a little while after that and so I don't know loads about that pub but it rings bells. Stirling is fairly full of haunted houses etc. including the castle, as far as I know. Do they still do those night tours?
I think they stopped around 7 or 8 years back, but i could'nt be sure if they have started again. They were pretty good, i remember going on one for a mates Birthday and we were all spooked.
Old 28 October 2008, 09:30 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Nowt tonight. A spirit free ride home
Old 29 October 2008, 08:09 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Oh damn, I'm out biking offroad in the dark on my own tonight, I wish I hadnt read all these posts!
Old 29 October 2008, 09:20 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
You didn't look behind you did you....

Old 29 October 2008, 12:04 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Glad to hear it, drunk cycling can be very problematic!

Quick Reply: I don't know what I saw tonight