Forget the rest use AUTO TRADER to sell a car

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2008, 11:55 AM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Forget the rest use AUTO TRADER to sell a car

Having stuck my 97 STI it on ebay twice, one with a reserve - got no bids
and the other time the bloke spoke to me on the phone and said he needed to sell his car first before he could get the funds.

Just gone through my phone and no less than 8 texts all from different people. Why would you text someone about a car? If your genuine surely you'd ring.

AutoTrader was the same price as ebay, but you seem to only get people who are genuine on there as its an advertised price your willing to take for it, no emails on there and they can't text you either as they use something called safe call so you only get phone calls. Needless to say it was Auto Trader I sold the car through.

Think I had it advertised on pretty much every UK scooby site, but didn't get any real interest from there.
Old 23 October 2008, 11:58 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Autotrader is fine - But the canvassers drive me absolutely mental.
Old 23 October 2008, 12:03 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Similar thing to me.

Had my 05 STI PPP on Pistonheads for weeks. Got 1 no show, and 3 emails asking about the Prodrive wheels.

Stuck it on Auto-trader - Was sold within a week.

Only thing was, I paid for the magazine advert too. Waste of money, as it was sold before it appeared in the Mag. Also interestingly enough, I never got 1 phone call from someone who'd seen it in the mag. I pulled the on-line ad the day it was sold.

Tells me most people look on-line now rather than buying the mag.
Old 23 October 2008, 12:08 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
I put no canvassers, still got 1 phone call on the first day and I got him to read out the advert to me and when he got to the end and said "no canvas"... the phone went dead.
Old 23 October 2008, 12:10 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I sold my old car within 24 hours to the first person to ring up when I put an ad on Autotrader. I didn't get any canvassers either but I pulled the advert straight after the sale
Old 23 October 2008, 12:30 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

It depends how you use ebay, what you're selling and how much you want for it.

You're pretty much guaranteed a sale on ebay if you start it at low price with no reserve. But if you have a reserve it might not make it.

Ebay's fees are the biggest con imo.
Old 23 October 2008, 12:58 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Its the only way to almost guarantee a sale, I have sold about 70 cars over the years via Autotrader, ok you still get messers but its rare I have to put anything in a second time, even wierd stuff like bright green Automatic Rover Coupes.
Old 24 October 2008, 03:06 PM
stuart n
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
And the scammers to. I wonder how many people fall for the "I live abroad but wish to buy your car, send me your bank account details and I'll send payment including freight charges emails"
Old 24 October 2008, 03:11 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I ended up selling my Supra for full price via Pistonheads. The only thing that Autotrader gave me was "We have lots of people interested in your car..".

Steve
Old 24 October 2008, 03:50 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
I ended up selling my Supra for full price via Pistonheads. The only thing that Autotrader gave me was "We have lots of people interested in your car..".

Steve
Try putting NO Canvassers on the AD.
Old 24 October 2008, 04:33 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

ebay can be good for awareness, I sold my wr1 a couple of years back primarily using autotrader although the buyer saw it on ebay too. Its crazy selling a car nowadays, in the old days it used to be, I'm interested in the car can I come and view it, now all that happens is; I'm interested in the car whats the lowest price you'll take?
Old 24 October 2008, 05:43 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryK
it used to be, I'm interested in the car can I come and view it, now all that happens is; I'm interested in the car whats the lowest price you'll take?
It's always been latter in my experience.

Price is king!
Old 24 October 2008, 06:30 PM
Plucking Pheasants
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst

Steve
I just had to deal with the world's worst timewaster on PH.

He lived 200miles away and wanted to drive the car back same day if he wanted it. Fine - so long as the money was in my account and the bank give me written confirmation of that and the transaction cannot be reversed afterwards (turns out banker's drafts are useless for this - new one on me).

Well, painstakingly scanned every invoice, every MOT, every page of the service book. Photographed in detail and emailed every chip and scratch. Had to explain every single query in phone and email conversations and negotiated a more agreeable price (in his favour).

That in itself wasted a few hours.

But I was assured if the car was exactly as I said it would be he would buy it. He had test driven the same car locally, so knows exactly what he's getting. Fine.

So I picked him up from the train station - a half hours drive away. Took him back home to go over the paperwork, plus a very extended test drive, and another hour looking over the car at every angle possible.

And after all that, he changes mind as says hes not sure he wants to spend so much money on a car. I initially thought "hear we go, he wants to knock off a few quid". But no, he just doesn't want to buy it.

WTF? So I asked whats wrong with the car. Nothing, he said, its exactly like I said it was. And its the best one hes seen.

So that was the best part of a saturday wasted. Like the half-decent pillock that I am, I also drove him back to the train station, when really I should have booted him out the door and pointed where the nearest bus stop was.

After all this he was adament he wasn't a time waster, saying he spent £60 on train tickets, Hpi checks and flashing his bank statement showing it had £20K in the account ready to buy the car.

Moral: Ignore any MR2 owners answering adverts on Pistonheads: Some of them are a right bunch of half-soaked **** cretins. Which reminds me, I need to find the forums he posts on and spout off some more about him

Last edited by Plucking Pheasants; 24 October 2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old 24 October 2008, 08:28 PM
orbix
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
I sold my old car within 24 hours to the first person to ring up when I put an ad on Autotrader. I didn't get any canvassers either but I pulled the advert straight after the sale
Me too, about 2 weeks ago now.
Old 24 October 2008, 08:40 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Anybody want to buy a 99 Impreza. It's just passed it's MOT and it taxed but it looks like **** after some ******* vandalised it. £2k
Old 25 October 2008, 04:49 PM
scooby(puppy power)
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Plucking Pheasants
Moral: Ignore any MR2 owners answering adverts on Pistonheads: Some of them are a right bunch of half-soaked **** cretins. Which reminds me, I need to find the forums he posts on and spout off some more about him
probably on MR2 Owners Club News thats where i used to go when i had my t bar, thinking of getting another as a 2nd car now prob get a turbo this time as well
Old 25 October 2008, 06:44 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Canvassers are the only problem with AT... I have sold two automobiles through LOOT... No canvassers, no timewasters, all good
Old 25 October 2008, 09:32 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by timmy2take
Try putting NO Canvassers on the AD.
I did. Four of them phoned me. One kept phoning me even after being told to do rude things to his mother.

Eventually blew a whistle at them.

5t.