Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Auto SCART switching?

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2008, 01:11 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the big brother of that box and it's fantastic, buy it and kick yourself for not having done it sooner.

RGB, WS, all auto, vcr loop, everything I'd tried for years to find.
Old 13 October 2008, 01:40 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Scart switching is done by the status of pin 8 on the lead.

If your TV dosent support pin 8 status switching, then if i recall a an auto box wont work

have you checked that the scart leads are fully wired?

Mart
Old 13 October 2008, 01:41 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Got a Trilogy job with five sockets on it IIRC. Does the job for me.
Old 13 October 2008, 01:50 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

I had a trilogy and it went in the bin as it wouldn't do w/s switching and was only rgb on one port, for te w/s - trilogy blamed under spec output from devices, virgin and sky blamed the switch, all devices switched on their own.

The blue delta boxes are RGB on all ports, all pins fully connected on all ports and mine has worked flawlessly with everything I've ever put on it, mine even autoswitches from a media box on s-video.
Old 13 October 2008, 02:11 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

I used to use a Triology unit and it worked OK.

Now I'm totally HDMi and it's so much easier. (DVD, HD-DVD, PS3, Sky-HD all wired through Onkyo 875 via HDMi and one lead to TV)

Cheers
Lee
Old 13 October 2008, 02:13 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HankScorpio
I had a trilogy and it went in the bin as it wouldn't do w/s switching and was only rgb on one port, for te w/s - trilogy blamed under spec output from devices, virgin and sky blamed the switch, all devices switched on their own.

The blue delta boxes are RGB on all ports, all pins fully connected on all ports and mine has worked flawlessly with everything I've ever put on it, mine even autoswitches from a media box on s-video.
Must be a different one to the one I've got. Got Digi-Box, PS2, and a streaming media thingy connected to mine, all RGB. Was the main reason I bought it as the TV I've got only has one RGB scart. Does wide screen switching no problems either.
Old 13 October 2008, 02:27 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Yeah, probably. I'm a "once bitten" person, the product I got didn't do what it was supposed to so I went off the whole brand even though the probably have alright stuff in the range.
Old 14 October 2008, 11:11 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by logiclee
I used to use a Triology unit and it worked OK.

Now I'm totally HDMi and it's so much easier. (DVD, HD-DVD, PS3, Sky-HD all wired through Onkyo 875 via HDMi and one lead to TV)

Cheers
Lee

Dont you believe HDmi is the dogs danglies

I had my xbox via hdmi, all ok, audio out via tos to the amp & hdmi to the tv, so i didnt need the amp on all the time.

My new DVD player with hdmi, :grr:

It would talk to the tv with audio via hdmi, but wouldnt output via coaxial to the amp, or it would output via coaxial to the amp, but not via hdmi to the tv.

I could switch it manually, but it meant diving into the options screen every time.

I managed to solve it by puting the DVD into hdmi port one on the telly, to which you can change the hdmi prioritys, the xbox now has to go into hdmi port two, it dosent mind which.

So hdmi, isnt the be all and end all

Mart
Old 14 October 2008, 11:55 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Yes, I had the one you are using and then swapped to the other one you are considering.
It is automatic (and doesn't have those other 3 semi-redundant switches the manual one has) so does mean you don't have to get off the couch if you change video source.
It is a straight swap.
Kevin
Old 15 October 2008, 05:59 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
Dont you believe HDmi is the dogs danglies

I had my xbox via hdmi, all ok, audio out via tos to the amp & hdmi to the tv, so i didnt need the amp on all the time.

My new DVD player with hdmi, :grr:

It would talk to the tv with audio via hdmi, but wouldnt output via coaxial to the amp, or it would output via coaxial to the amp, but not via hdmi to the tv.

I could switch it manually, but it meant diving into the options screen every time.

I managed to solve it by puting the DVD into hdmi port one on the telly, to which you can change the hdmi prioritys, the xbox now has to go into hdmi port two, it dosent mind which.

So hdmi, isnt the be all and end all

Mart
Shouldn't buy cheap tackle

No seriously if you are going HDMi and you have to if thinking Hi-Def Audio then there is (Nearly) no need for coaxial or optical digital outputs.

When I decided to go HDMi and HiDef I junked all my phono, scart, coaxial, optical (Except one) and component leads and replaced them with 5 HDMI leads and one optical for Sky.

DVD to Amp
HD-DVD to Amp
Sky-HD to Amp + Optical
PS3 to Amp
Amp to TV

Everything auto switches and auto controls and even the TV and sky volume controls operate the amps volume via HDMI link from TV to Amp. Even Auto Lip-Sync works fine.

SkyHD will not output 5.1 over HDMi so the optical connection has to be used. This is easily configurable in the amps menu.
Future Sky-HD boxes should be V1.3HDMI and will not need the optical connection.

Cheers
Lee
Old 15 October 2008, 10:26 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by logiclee
Shouldn't buy cheap tackle

No seriously if you are going HDMi and you have to if thinking Hi-Def Audio then there is (Nearly) no need for coaxial or optical digital outputs.

When I decided to go HDMi and HiDef I junked all my phono, scart, coaxial, optical (Except one) and component leads and replaced them with 5 HDMI leads and one optical for Sky.

DVD to Amp
HD-DVD to Amp
Sky-HD to Amp + Optical
PS3 to Amp
Amp to TV

Everything auto switches and auto controls and even the TV and sky volume controls operate the amps volume via HDMI link from TV to Amp. Even Auto Lip-Sync works fine.

SkyHD will not output 5.1 over HDMi so the optical connection has to be used. This is easily configurable in the amps menu.
Future Sky-HD boxes should be V1.3HDMI and will not need the optical connection.

Cheers
Lee
Bloke at work went down a similar route, DOUBLE hdmi leads, as everything goes through his all singing all dancing hdmi amp.

It drives him up the wall, as the amp controls everything, so even if he just wants to watch tv, the amp has to be on, play a dvd, amp on, xbox, amp on.

Its ok during the early evening, but at around midnight when he wants a quick blast on the xbox, he rekons its a pita

and btw it wasnt cheap kit either

Mart
Old 16 October 2008, 06:17 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Most modern amps have a low level or night mode, my Onkyo 875 for example has an "L Night" button on the remote which kills the sub and compresses the sound. Certainly not much difference to having the TV sound ON, tell your mate at work to have a look on his, other manufacturers also have this feature.
The Onkyo 875 also has a high end Reon upscaler and makes a superb job with anything lower than 1080P (1080P stuff is passed straight through). Worth having the amp on for by itself.
My wife finds it very easy as turning on the TV automatically switches on the Amp and the TV remote volume controls operates the volume on the Amp.

Oh and he wouldn't need double the hdmi leads, just one extra from the Amp to the TV.

Cheers
Lee

Last edited by logiclee; 16 October 2008 at 07:04 AM.