Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Radio One

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2008, 09:07 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio One

Is it me or do Radio One seem to think 93% of the country is Black, nothing against Black people but they play a disproportionate ammount of Black Music and go on about "Black Music" all day, do Black People actually listen to Radio One in their droves or is it Radio One trying to be hip and playing Dizee Rascal to mainly White Van Drivers and Reps?

They Dont play Chinese, Eastern European, Pakistani, French, German, Bangladeshi, Australian etc etc music or if they do they don't single any other minority out, so why the focus on Black Music ?
Old 12 October 2008, 11:00 AM
jonnyrex
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BBC 6 music all the way for me..and there news doesnt sound like your being spoken to like a 7 year old i.e john cravens news round style..most the good uns have jumped ship over to 6 music anyway ..
Old 12 October 2008, 11:06 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I listen to Chris Moyles who amuses me whilst stuck in traffic jams in the morning and he plays a variety of music.

Steve
Old 12 October 2008, 11:35 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Current Radio 1 playlist:

The A List

Fall Out Boy I Don't Care
Girls Aloud The Promise
Iglu & Hartly In This City
Kaiser Chiefs Never Miss A Beat
Keane The Lovers Are Losing
Kings Of Leon Sex On Fire
The Kooks Sway
McFly Lies
MGMT Kids
M.I.A Paper Planes
James Morrison You Make It Real
Ne-Yo Miss Independent
Oasis The Shock Of The Lightning
Pendulum Granite
Pink So What
Razorlight Wire To Wire
Snow Patrol Take Back The City
Sugababes Girls
The Ting Tings Be The One

Ooh, look at it, swimming in negroes
Old 12 October 2008, 11:41 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Is it me or do Radio One seem to think 93% of the country is Black, nothing against Black people but they play a disproportionate ammount of Black Music and go on about "Black Music" all day, do Black People actually listen to Radio One in their droves or is it Radio One trying to be hip and playing Dizee Rascal to mainly White Van Drivers and Reps?

They Dont play Chinese, Eastern European, Pakistani, French, German, Bangladeshi, Australian etc etc music or if they do they don't single any other minority out, so why the focus on Black Music ?

saturday night is black music night on radio 1 mate.
Old 12 October 2008, 11:45 AM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV

The A List

see
Old 12 October 2008, 11:46 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

tbf I listen to radio one all day 7 till 5 and I don't think it's black orientated at all.
Old 12 October 2008, 11:57 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Radio 1 is pants - XFM is the answer
Old 12 October 2008, 12:26 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

The A List

Fall Out Boy I Don't Care
Girls Aloud The Promise
Iglu & Hartly In This City
Kaiser Chiefs Never Miss A Beat
Keane The Lovers Are Losing
Kings Of Leon Sex On Fire
The Kooks Sway
McFly Lies
MGMT Kids
M.I.A Paper Planes
James Morrison You Make It Real
Ne-Yo Miss Independent
Oasis The Shock Of The Lightning
Pendulum Granite
Pink So What
Razorlight Wire To Wire
Snow Patrol Take Back The City
Sugababes Girls

I have no problem with Black People or Black artists, I am just bemused by the constant mention of Black music like in some way it is seperate from everything else, its just music, they dont mention any other race quite as often, Asian gets dropped in there occasionally but no other race, creed or colour, they dont segregate on sex or sexuality grounds, religous or favourite type of cheese so why the focus on Black music, I personally like a song regardless of the colour of its singer.

That is what puzzles me as does your response, rolling eyes and the implication that I am in some way bemoaning the amount of "Negroes" in the charts, which was not my intention, that is just a reflection of what people are buying, I am just wondering why Radio One feel the need to keep mentioning skin colour in relation to music when, as I have said, it is irrelevant.
Old 12 October 2008, 12:34 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gordo
Radio 1 is pants - XFM is the answer
I read in mixmag yesterday that XFM Scotland is to be bought over by the Galaxy dance network, to be renamed Galaxy Scotland. I love house music, but I do need a rather large indie fix Enjoy it while you can.
Old 12 October 2008, 01:04 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by antc
tbf I listen to radio one all day 7 till 5 and I don't think it's black orientated at all.
No it's just crap.

Capital is black oriented - and ****
Old 12 October 2008, 01:16 PM
Semper
Scooby Regular

Radio 2 for me! Not ashamed to admit it! Especially evening times with Mark Radcliffe, drive time with Chris Evans and J Ross on Saturday.
Old 12 October 2008, 01:27 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I wrote to the BBC regarding the abhorrent racism that was the creation of 1xtra... It offended me that if they were to have a black music station that they absolutely had to have a station for every race creed and colour or they were in fact being racist.
Kind of like having MOBO awards but not MOWO awards...
Apparantly it's not racist, because radio 1 caters for all... Well I dont listen to Radio 1 anymore because I am over 30 and have a 3 figure IQ, but if Jacko is right then "auntie" is quite clearly losing the radio plot...
Old 12 October 2008, 03:13 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

As an oldie, accept that Radio 1's target audience are baseball cap wearing white-boys, wearing bling, and going brrrap ! at all and sundry......

And yes I do work in the education sector..... BRRRRRRAP !

DJ_DunxC, is comin at'cha.
Old 12 October 2008, 03:17 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by antc

Same here, although sarah ***** gets on me nerves constantly talking about her dog snop and her baby daughter
Old 12 October 2008, 03:29 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Semper
Radio 2 for me! Not ashamed to admit it! Especially evening times with Mark Radcliffe, drive time with Chris Evans and J Ross on Saturday.

And me!

Or Radio 4.
Old 12 October 2008, 03:48 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Only listen in the afternoon and it's Steve Wright and Chris Evans on Radio 2 for me.

Cheers
Lee
Old 12 October 2008, 05:30 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Yep Radio 2 for me - must be getting old.

Don't mind a bit of radio 5 live, and Absolute Radio is good now it's changed from Virgin Radio,
Old 12 October 2008, 05:48 PM
WRX marv
Scooby Regular

another 1 for radio2
Old 12 October 2008, 06:06 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I have no probs with Radio 1 but I usually only listen to it when I cannot get my local stations i.e if I am going out travelling.

I do think they intimate that black is the way they are going but I doubt that the main people of R1 will let it actually happen. After all thats what 1 extra is 4 init.
Old 12 October 2008, 07:10 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I have no problem with Black People or Black artists, I am just bemused by the constant mention of Black music like in some way it is seperate from everything else, its just music, they dont mention any other race quite as often, Asian gets dropped in there occasionally but no other race, creed or colour, they dont segregate on sex or sexuality grounds, religous or favourite type of cheese so why the focus on Black music, I personally like a song regardless of the colour of its singer.

That is what puzzles me as does your response, rolling eyes and the implication that I am in some way bemoaning the amount of "Negroes" in the charts, which was not my intention, that is just a reflection of what people are buying, I am just wondering why Radio One feel the need to keep mentioning skin colour in relation to music when, as I have said, it is irrelevant.
Radio 1 is the only radio station I listen to. There's too much middle of the road crap on R2 and I can't stand commercial radio without wanting to kill someone, and yet I've never noticed this apparent "obsession" with "black music" other than the references to 1Extra.

Given that comercial music is aimed mainly at a white audience, I don't see any problem with creating a niche station.

My post was simply there to illustrate the fact that your opening gambit of "Is it me or do Radio One seem to think 93% of the country is Black, nothing against Black people but they play a disproportionate ammount of Black Music" is absolutely wrong and unfortunately, yes, it does come across as being somewhat narrow minded, if not actually rascist.

I consider you to be one of the decent people on here but this post disapointed me. I'll get over it
Old 12 October 2008, 07:26 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Bobby Friction and Nihal
14/10/2008
Asian beats with Bobby Friction and Nihal. Nitin Sawhney joins the boys.

they do cater for different races too

and commecial radio is pants , i dont want to hear double glazing adverts all day.

and last time i checked RnB was invented by black people which i assume thats why they refer to as black music so i dont see it rascist at all
Old 12 October 2008, 11:47 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Radio 1 is the only radio station I listen to. There's too much middle of the road crap on R2 and I can't stand commercial radio without wanting to kill someone, and yet I've never noticed this apparent "obsession" with "black music" other than the references to 1Extra.

Given that commercial music is aimed mainly at a white audience, I don't see any problem with creating a niche station.

My post was simply there to illustrate the fact that your opening gambit of "Is it me or do Radio One seem to think 93% of the country is Black, nothing against Black people but they play a disproportionate amount of Black Music" is absolutely wrong and unfortunately, yes, it does come across as being somewhat narrow minded, if not actually rascist.

I consider you to be one of the decent people on here but this post disapointed me. I'll get over it

Ok, create a niche station, it plays mainly "Black" music, why do they have to point out that its "Black" music, music does not have a colour.

Music is aimed at people, it just seems bizarre to pigeon hole it on skin tone.

Maybe I am completely missing the point, Its just I spent a day listening to Radio One (inadvisable I know) and so many times I heard the Black Music thing, I put Planet Rock on and they talk about music but never mention skin colour, the ethos of the station is based on a genre of music, Black isn't a Genre, Blues, World Music, R n B, Hip Hop, Rap are genre's. There are black people from many parts of the world, it seems kind of insensitive to lump them all together as Black as Aboriginal people are Black, people from the Congo, African Americans, English Africans, South Africans and I bet they don't all like the same thing, its like saying, come on, you'll love this, you are Black.

To be honest though, it doesnt matter, I think we have more to worry about at the moment than the BBC trying too hard to be right on.
Old 13 October 2008, 12:25 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Radio 1 is abysmal but no problem as I am hardly representatative of their target audience

Radio 2 is abysmal as depsite being in their target audience they employ Wogan, Wright and Evans - surely a reason for a triple barrelled shotgun!!

Internet radio - Radio Paradise - Commercial Free Internet Radio - Online Radio, Stone Ground, Hand Mixed, Served Hot for me - no DJs, no egos, just music!!!
Old 13 October 2008, 12:53 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Question

Jacko, you said that:

they play a disproportionate ammount of Black Music
Notorious Rev seems to have pointed out that they, in fact, DON'T, yet he's got "pinked" for saying so.

Music DOES have a colour because it expresses the feelings of the particular ethnic or cultural group from which it springs. If it didn't, it would cease to be a valid form of communication between human beings.

Last edited by Bubba po; 13 October 2008 at 12:59 AM.
Old 13 October 2008, 01:05 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
Don't mind a bit of radio 5 live, and Absolute Radio is good now it's changed from Virgin Radio,
They gave Geoff Lloyd the drivetime ("hometime") show, so they are okay with me

Steve
Old 13 October 2008, 01:09 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
They gave Geoff Lloyd the drivetime ("hometime") show, so they are okay with me

Steve

I like Geoff - better when he was with Pete on the breakfast show, but you can't have it all.

Still better than R1, and by far the best commercial station now they have a continuous, non-repetative playlist.
Old 13 October 2008, 01:13 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
I like Geoff - better when he was with Pete on the breakfast show, but you can't have it all.

Still better than R1, and by far the best commercial station now they have a continuous, non-repetative playlist.
His late night show that I listened to via the Podcast was brilliant. "Porting Controvesy" used to crack me up.

Steve
Old 13 October 2008, 01:18 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
His late night show that I listened to via the Podcast was brilliant. "Porting Controvesy" used to crack me up.

Steve
Yes, caught that. Very understated broadcaster.

Mark and Lard are still the yardstick though.....................

Quick Reply: Radio One