Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Low energy light bulbs bad for you!

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2008, 09:24 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low energy light bulbs bad for you!

They emit UV radiation!

BBC NEWS | Health | UV light fear over 'green' bulbs
Old 10 October 2008, 09:35 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

No proven risk of cancer, only people with light sensitivity issues may take precautions. So, it sounds not that bad TBH. Every silver lining has a cloud. Imagine people being without the bulbs altogether? People will be bumping here, and bumping there; like Sara Squares How much of disaster will it cause then, eh? Little bit of UV is ok, just don't have it right above your head, that's all.
Old 10 October 2008, 09:51 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

They also are not great for people who suffer with migraines, as for some people they bring them on.
Old 10 October 2008, 09:58 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Also dangerous to health if eaten
Old 10 October 2008, 10:00 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Free suntan
Old 10 October 2008, 10:02 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Closer than a foot

Personally id go out for some good ole uv rays, but i guess if your desperate..
Old 10 October 2008, 10:54 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

I've removed all the useless fecking things from my house and put proper bulbs back in If I wanted to sit in a candle lit room I'd buy a candle!
Old 10 October 2008, 10:56 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Youve only got to let them warm up for a few minutes ,,,!

Youngsters ....
Old 10 October 2008, 10:57 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
No proven risk of cancer, only people with light sensitivity issues may take precautions. So, it sounds not that bad TBH. Every silver lining has a cloud. Imagine people being without the bulbs altogether? People will be bumping here, and bumping there; like Sara Squares How much of disaster will it cause then, eh? Little bit of UV is ok, just don't have it right above your head, that's all.
Ive done a lot of testing with LSI issues from compact lighting,the actual light colour didnt make a lot of difference but I did find the 6500k to be less intense to those that suffer(3500 - 6500k were tested over 36 months), they also say anyone who reacts should either wear blue polarizes specs or just wear a patch over one eye,
these tests were carried out by Eon and Npower in there call centres thru out the uk.
Old 10 October 2008, 11:16 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

As a result of testing which revealed the potentially high levels of UV light, the HPA has issued guidelines against people using unencapsulated light bulbs - where the light coil is visible - closer than 30cms to the body for more than one hour a day.

Of course most people sit a foot from light bulbs for extended periods. I wonder how much skin reddening you'd get from a traditional 100W bulb if you held it a foot away for an hour. We've used large fluorescent lights for decades, so the migraine link is well know. It's the fact that the light flashes at 25hz that's the issue. Some people with photo sensitive epilepsy have problems with fluorescent lights of both sorts, although the only difference really is size. CFL bulbs and standard fluorescent tubes work on the same principle. The breakthrough that enabled CFL bulbs to be made commercially was in the design and miniaturisation of the starter/choke mechanism which "strikes" the tube.
Old 11 October 2008, 12:59 AM
Plucking Pheasants
Scooby Regular

If fluorescent lights were really that bad for your health, I think they would have been banned a very long time ago. Seeing they have been around for the best part of 70 years

Just think every person who works in a office is sat underneath one, some of which have no diffusers. Its the coating on the tube that makes these lights safe. Without the coating they would only be any good in night clubs and tanning shops. However, it does wear off, often noted by the purple UV light escaping from any bends or at the very ends of the tube. However the amount of UV emitted is tiny when compared to spending an hour out in the sun.

Personally, I'd be more worried about the mercury content, especially if I break one in the house. Nasty stuff.