Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Question for the pilots here

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2008, 07:28 PM
m1cks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for the pilots here

In aviation, what exactly is classed as a near miss?

Was on the way back from Portugal and as we came over northern spain, I looked out the window, and below to the right there was another commercial plane just passing below us. Could clearly see the cockpit of the other plane so it seemed quite close but ovbiously at differing heights, it can be hard to judge the exact distance. Is there any way of finding out how close it was or if it's classed as a near miss or not?
Old 10 October 2008, 07:33 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

You're typically looking at 1000ft vertically. It can look a lot closer from the window.

Judging the height or distance an aircraft is from you is very hard. Atmospheric conditions can play a part, as can the size of the aircraft you're looking at.

If you were flying straight and level while observing this other plane, chances are you weren't even close. If the TCAS had kicked in, and sudden change in altitude would probably be noticed by all on board!
Old 10 October 2008, 07:53 PM
m1cks
Scooby Regular

We did make a turn immediatley after it had passed behind us. Is there any way of finding out if this would have been logged?

I know vertically it can be deceptive, but you would think with the amount of space that is available, they needen't have been together in the first place.
Old 10 October 2008, 08:00 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by m1cks
We did make a turn immediatley after it had passed behind us. Is there any way of finding out if this would have been logged?

I know vertically it can be deceptive, but you would think with the amount of space that is available, they needen't have been together in the first place.
So you turned AFTER the plane passed? Not really avoiding action is it?
TCAS. Traffic Collision Avoidance System.

As for your second paragraph, . How much space is available? Do you know? As for being "together" please refer to my first answer.

But, if you really want to know, then firstly find out what air space you were in. Sounds like Spain, or maybe France. Then contact that nations air services provider and ask the question. Wait for the answer.
If they say yes, you were involved in a near miss, what are you going to do?

You're wasting your time. Trust me.
Old 10 October 2008, 08:02 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

The new RVSM rules(Reduced Vertical Separation Minimum),has reduced the seperation between aircraft to 1000ft in Europ and the States,2000ft everywhere else.This is if the aircraft in question is RVSM compliant,if not then it's the 2000ft.
For horizontal seperation,aircraft at the same alt,then it all depends on speed,direction etc.
Old 10 October 2008, 08:16 PM
m1cks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
So you turned AFTER the plane passed? Not really avoiding action is it?
TCAS. Traffic Collision Avoidance System.

As for your second paragraph, . How much space is available? Do you know? As for being "together" please refer to my first answer.

But, if you really want to know, then firstly find out what air space you were in. Sounds like Spain, or maybe France. Then contact that nations air services provider and ask the question. Wait for the answer.
If they say yes, you were involved in a near miss, what are you going to do?

You're wasting your time. Trust me.
It was purely a matter of curiosity, and was wondering if this information was available to the public. Sorry, didn't mean to get you so worked up about it.
Old 10 October 2008, 08:20 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt worry about near misses its the hits that only have an effect on you.

1000ft is a huge gap.
Old 11 October 2008, 12:10 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

There are laid down separation distances of course as defined above. The thing is, another aircraft close to those distances can look remarkably close to you. I can remember being in one of the Heathrow holding patterns in cloud initially. We came out of cloud and it was quite unnerving to suddenly see all the others in the hold and how close they looked even they we were all under positive radar control. 1,000 feet is a sufficient gap under positive control but it is surprisingly easy to reduce the margins seriously with a bit of innaccurate flying. One should never do that of course and if you do you are likely to get a meaningful comment from ATC.

Les
Old 11 October 2008, 04:02 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I had an odd one flying back from Spain earlier this year. We were well into the flight and when I looked out of my window and below I could see what looked like a series of smoke rings (I couldn't see in front as the wing was in the way). They went on for some considerable time until they turned and passed under our aircraft.

I just assumed it was a UFO
Old 11 October 2008, 08:33 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XRS
I had an odd one flying back from Spain earlier this year. We were well into the flight and when I looked out of my window and below I could see what looked like a series of smoke rings (I couldn't see in front as the wing was in the way). They went on for some considerable time until they turned and passed under our aircraft.

I just assumed it was a UFO
Nah. smoke rings will be Project Aurora! Sshhhh.

Old 12 October 2008, 10:16 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Nah. smoke rings will be Project Aurora! Sshhhh.

Oooh I say!

Les
Old 12 October 2008, 10:18 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Oooh I say!

Les
C'mon Les, spill the beans. What do you know?

Old 12 October 2008, 10:46 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Not much really, I have seen the occasional strange sight which I could not explain and some which turned out to be quite normal in the end.

I did once see the Bristol high speed research aircraft which was made out of stainless steel when I was sculling around in a Canberra at high level over the North West. It suddenly produced what looked like a big smoke ring out of the back of one of its engines-(one on each wing). I think it must have had an engine failure because it set off descending back toward Filton in a hurry!

The picture you show is certainly unusual. It looks like contrails out of a twin engine aircraft but why it has all those bits sticking out. Maybe even some kind of reheat being used or a nasty engine surge going on, or even a rocket exhaust. If you know Flightman, please tell us!

Les
Old 12 October 2008, 05:21 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

These were similar, but the circles were almost perfect, and not joined as in your picture. Also, there is no way they were coming from our aircraft as they were well below us. There could have been another aircraft, but as I say, my view forward was restricted by the wing.
Old 12 October 2008, 06:40 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Not much really, I have seen the occasional strange sight which I could not explain and some which turned out to be quite normal in the end.

I did once see the Bristol high speed research aircraft which was made out of stainless steel when I was sculling around in a Canberra at high level over the North West. It suddenly produced what looked like a big smoke ring out of the back of one of its engines-(one on each wing). I think it must have had an engine failure because it set off descending back toward Filton in a hurry!

The picture you show is certainly unusual. It looks like contrails out of a twin engine aircraft but why it has all those bits sticking out. Maybe even some kind of reheat being used or a nasty engine surge going on, or even a rocket exhaust. If you know Flightman, please tell us!

Les
I'll telly you what Les. The day the USAF land an Aurora at LHR, I'll make sure SN hears all about it!

As for whether it exists, I have as much knowledge of that as the next man!
Old 12 October 2008, 06:52 PM
Publilius Syrus
Scooby Regular

It does, there are two versions. An early prototype capable of Mach 4 and a later version that's passed Mach 6. Both are now grounded due to excessive development costs but the MHD engines will make an appearance in the revamped US space shuttle due within next 10 years.
Old 12 October 2008, 07:10 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Publilius Syrus
It does, there are two versions. An early prototype capable of Mach 4 and a later version that's passed Mach 6. Both are now grounded due to excessive development costs but the MHD engines will make an appearance in the revamped US space shuttle due within next 10 years.
Cool.

Source?
Old 13 October 2008, 12:45 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I'll telly you what Les. The day the USAF land an Aurora at LHR, I'll make sure SN hears all about it!

As for whether it exists, I have as much knowledge of that as the next man!
If you get advance knowledge dont forget to tell us! It would be worth watching.

Les