Ban smoking in cars

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2008, 04:16 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Ban smoking in cars

Bid to ban smoking in cars - Yahoo! News UK

I have to admit that I find the sight of people smoking whilst in a car when they have children in the back quite annoying but this mission of some people to ban smoking in every conceivable place makes me laugh.
Old 07 October 2008, 04:24 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think parents that smoke in cars with children in them need to be beaten around the head with a sharp object - But as for other adults, simple answer; if you dont like smoking in cars, dont get in my ****ing car (If I smoked in my car, like)
Old 07 October 2008, 04:26 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

see this quite a lot at work tbh

with the parents in the front puffing away and the kids in the back
Old 07 October 2008, 04:35 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

So it should be aswell, smoking whilst driving is as distracting as using a handheld phone IMO. Espeicially when you have a red hot cherry dancing around your knees if it falls off.
Old 07 October 2008, 04:38 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Absolutely pathetic.....heard the stupid bitch from ash ranting and raving this morning about how the legsliation we have now is good but more can be done.

Well how about keeping your ****ing nose out of our lives and stop telling us how to go about it ....
Old 07 October 2008, 04:39 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JONNY_693
So it should be aswell, smoking whilst driving is as distracting as using a handheld phone IMO.
Not even on the same planet.
Old 07 October 2008, 04:49 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Bid to ban smoking in cars - Yahoo! News UK

I have to admit that I find the sight of people smoking whilst in a car when they have children in the back quite annoying but this mission of some people to ban smoking in every conceivable place makes me laugh.
Gets my vote. Grew up with both parents smoking. In the house or in the car, they didn't care that myself or my sister inhaled there smoke
Old 07 October 2008, 06:26 PM
WRX JON
Scooby Regular

I do smoke, But i dont smoke in the car, i do have to pull over quite alot but i dont want my car to smell like an ash tray.
Old 07 October 2008, 07:23 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Any parent who smokes in a car with the windows up and the fans off is silly. Any parent who smokes in a car with the windows down and the fans on is not silly.

Any member of ash who use this as a reason to try to ban smoking in a car are silly.
Any member of ash who use the reason of "holding a red hot burning ember which might hamper your crash aversion manouvre" to ban smoking when driving is not silly.

In short, ash are silly.
Old 07 October 2008, 07:29 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine got fined for eating an apple while driving, same or harsher penalties should apply to smoking.
Old 07 October 2008, 07:35 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Def ban it!! as jonny 693,a hot *** in your lap can't be good.
Just an extream case,but in Poole about 2 years ago,a car burnt to the gound for no reason,untill it was found that a *** had been thrown in the back,probably from another car!
Old 07 October 2008, 08:29 PM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

whilst were about it:

1. ban satnav in cars - it is a distraction
2. Ban car stereos in cars - fiddling with buttons IS a distraction
3. Ban heating / fan controls in cars - it is a distraction
4. Ban passangers speaking directly to the driver / attempting to engage in conversation - it is a distraction

5. Ban any other non essential electrical gizmos such as fuel computers etc
6. Ban children from cars especially when misbehaving - they are a distraction

So where to draw the line before everything in a car is banned / illegal what a complete load of tosh. the number of people I have travelled with who are incapable of holding a converstaion without having to look at their passanger........... surely that is as dangerous as smoking a *** if not more so.

Hand on heart, have you tuned your stereo and taken your eyes off the road.

Their really are some complete idiots representing so called charities / road safety / health / human rights / awareness organisations - why can they not accept that as much as they would like too they do not have the god given right to dictate what we can and cannot do............ or at least they bloody well shouldn't be able to!!!

Rant mode off - these do-gooders really get my back up. I accept that smoking with kids in your car is unacceptable.

Cheers

GB
Old 07 October 2008, 08:36 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said GB.
Old 07 October 2008, 08:42 PM
oadamo
Scooby Regular

i smoke and dont give a ****
adam
Old 07 October 2008, 08:44 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mit
J
Agreed ........................... Ban smoking in cars , wheres the petition I can sign up to
Old 07 October 2008, 08:53 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gingerboy
whilst were about it:

1. ban satnav in cars - it is a distraction
2. Ban car stereos in cars - fiddling with buttons IS a distraction
3. Ban heating / fan controls in cars - it is a distraction
4. Ban passangers speaking directly to the driver / attempting to engage in conversation - it is a distraction

5. Ban any other non essential electrical gizmos such as fuel computers etc
6. Ban children from cars especially when misbehaving - they are a distraction

So where to draw the line before everything in a car is banned / illegal what a complete load of tosh. the number of people I have travelled with who are incapable of holding a converstaion without having to look at their passanger........... surely that is as dangerous as smoking a *** if not more so.

Hand on heart, have you tuned your stereo and taken your eyes off the road.

Their really are some complete idiots representing so called charities / road safety / health / human rights / awareness organisations - why can they not accept that as much as they would like too they do not have the god given right to dictate what we can and cannot do............ or at least they bloody well shouldn't be able to!!!

Rant mode off - these do-gooders really get my back up. I accept that smoking with kids in your car is unacceptable.

Cheers

GB

None of that you can drop in your lap and burn yourself with.
Bottom line is,if you smoke you'll disagree,so whats the smokers to none smokers ratio now days?
Old 07 October 2008, 09:03 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by mit
None of that you can drop in your lap and burn yourself with.
Bottom line is,if you smoke you'll disagree,so whats the smokers to none smokers ratio now days?
That may well be true, but when people bang on about it being distracting, so are all the other things GB mentioned.

Yes, I agree in the most it will be smokers who disagree, as it's them who will be effected here. Honestly, smoker or not, I'm amazed by how often people twist on about the government etc. meddling in our lives so much in one way or another, but discuss smoking issues, then that goes totally out of the window. It's all about the stopping the smokers doing it anywhere. Before long, they'll not even be allowed to in their homes, possibly for fear of burning the house down.

Seriously, I'm not saying it never happens, but I bet it's rare at best that people go about dropping burning cigarettes in their lap, or chucking them out of the window directly into other peoples' cars.
Old 07 October 2008, 09:06 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

BAN BANNING!!! I say!!!!

F'in tax sucking, wealth killing, non producting bureaucrats are really starting to do my head in. IMPROVE society not complicate, confuse, cost and annoy it you tw@ats that finish at 4 on a Friday!!!

I quit smoking years ago and LOVE being able to take my pink lunged kids anywhere to eat. BUT if they try to tell you what you can do IN your OWN car then that is time to fight this legislative heavy society, big time!!!

Pembroke council just prosecuted one bloke in his own van for smoking on his day off FFS!!!! Cardiff is considering banning putting a packet of 'junk' crisps in your kids' lunchbox!!!!. Can they all please F ofbefore I buy a gun and start taking their bossy bully meddling dull ***** out ???!!! F'off out of my family's life - deal with the BIGGER things and real injustices out there (and sorry thats more tricky...may have to work till 5 on a Friday, once in a blue moon - TW@TS)

D (ranting - thanks )

Last edited by Diesel; 07 October 2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07 October 2008, 09:11 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

(GOD!! I feel better now)
Old 07 October 2008, 09:27 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

to be fair i used to smoke ,nearly a year ago but i managed to kick the habit cold turkey and i really did enjoy a smoke while driving on the m/way alone and i do still miss it at times .

i always thought it was illegal to smoke in your car while driving anyway as ive heard of some people getting fined
Old 07 October 2008, 09:38 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

It's the inconsiderate Aholes in front of me that flick their used and lit *** out the window of their moving car that pees me off.
Old 07 October 2008, 09:42 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zs_phil
to be fair i used to smoke ,nearly a year ago but i managed to kick the habit cold turkey and i really did enjoy a smoke while driving on the m/way alone and i do still miss it at times .

i always thought it was illegal to smoke in your car while driving anyway as ive heard of some people getting fined
It wasnt and isnt mate. But a singed Recaro is no good thing

Talking in a car will be banned within 50 years - and DO NOT think I am joking. We are outnumbered by bureacrats wanting 'stuff' to justify their longevity, pension and salaries...

D
Old 07 October 2008, 09:46 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
It's the inconsiderate Aholes in front of me that flick their used and lit *** out the window of their moving car that pees me off.
Just out of interest, have these ever ended up in your car. I can understand your point, I'm just curious as to how common that is.

I do agree with you, Diesel, I think stuff like this is done totally to justify people being in certain jobs.
Old 07 October 2008, 09:50 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

I sure hope they never ban wanking whilst driving!!
Old 07 October 2008, 09:52 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Not read the whole thread but my opinion is, It's MY car and it's MY private space and I will do what the hell I like there. As long as I am not a danger to other drivers, they can kiss my butt (excuse the pun)

As it happens, I never smoke in the car. In fact if I have a smoke, it is usually at some social occasion, outside now

It's a wonder they are not suggesting CCTV in our homes, just in case we are having sex at the wrong time of the day, meaning some folks will be having a fly smoke in bed, after the event. Highly dangerous
Old 07 October 2008, 09:53 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
BAN BANNING!!! I say!!!!

F'in tax sucking, wealth killing, non producting bureaucrats are really starting to do my head in. IMPROVE society not complicate, confuse, cost and annoy it you tw@ats that finish at 4 on a Friday!!!

I quit smoking years ago and LOVE being able to take my pink lunged kids anywhere to eat. BUT if they try to tell you what you can do IN your OWN car then that is time to fight this legislative heavy society, big time!!!

Pembroke council just prosecuted one bloke in his own van for smoking on his day off FFS!!!! Cardiff is considering banning putting a packet of 'junk' crisps in your kids' lunchbox!!!!. Can they all please F ofbefore I buy a gun and start taking their bossy bully meddling dull ***** out ???!!! F'off out of my family's life - deal with the BIGGER things and real injustices out there (and sorry thats more tricky...may have to work till 5 on a Friday, once in a blue moon - TW@TS)

D (ranting - thanks )
Here, here!!
Old 07 October 2008, 09:54 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
Just out of interest, have these ever ended up in your car. I can understand your point, I'm just curious as to how common that is.
Not in my car but I've had a few that have landed on the car. A lot of these morons put their hand above the roofline then let go. A lot of drivers of lorries seem to not use an ashtray either. I'm sure there has been more than a few deaths of motorcyclists caused by a lit *** hitting them in the face from a car.
Old 07 October 2008, 10:01 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by mit
Just an extream case,but in Poole about 2 years ago,a car burnt to the gound for no reason,untill it was found that a *** had been thrown in the back,probably from another car!
Get a life you sad little man.

Its my car and ill smoke if i want to.

Just cos you have a problem with it doesnt mean we all have to stop.

I really hate the *** heads who are of the mindset: i dont like so no one else should be able to do it.

There are bigger problems in the world than who smokes in a car.
Old 07 October 2008, 10:06 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by GC8WRX

There are bigger problems in the world than who smokes in a car.
Agreed, but it would be a nice little earner for the Gov if it were to be made illegal no doubt I smoke but rarely smoke in the car (long trips only) nor do I flick my *** end out the window if there is a vehicle close behind!
Old 07 October 2008, 10:11 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Not in my car but I've had a few that have landed on the car. A lot of these morons put their hand above the roofline then let go. A lot of drivers of lorries seem to not use an ashtray either. I'm sure there has been more than a few deaths of motorcyclists caused by a lit *** hitting them in the face from a car.
Fair enough, just wondered. Have they damaged your car as such? I'm not saying it's ok or not, just really interested how much of a problem smoking in a car causes to others.

As for motorcyclists, I couldn't really comment, as I have no facts to back up any claim, but if they are wearing a helmet, I can't see how any more danger is posed to them than say the odd stone flying about, etc.

I'm not condoning or condeming throwing lit cigarettes out of the window, I'm just not convinced it's a real problem in the grand scheme of things. Even moreso, that smoking in a vehicle is a problem. Just another attempt to dictate how people live their lives, with no real account taken of whether something is really an issue.

Quick Reply: Ban smoking in cars