Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Crown Court custodial sentencing..

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2008, 11:38 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crown Court custodial sentencing..

is there anywhere you can view online custodial sentences handed down and more information on why etc??

The sentence was only passed on Friday, and I am just looking for a bit of info for someone.. can anyone advise??
Old 29 September 2008, 01:00 AM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

Is there nothing about it in the local paper ? /website
Old 29 September 2008, 07:22 AM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

Your best bet is to ring the Crown or Magistrates Court which handed down the sentence and ask them. The magistrates have to give reasons for any decision made which will be endorsed upon the papers by the Court Clerk (in case there is any appeal to the Crown Court). Crown Court Judges always make sentencing remarks as they have to ensure that if they have imposed custody that the offence has passed the 'custody threshold' - ie is so serious that nothing ither than a sentence of imprisonment is justified. The Court office should be able to give you reasons why the sentence was passed which will have been recorded, again for appeal purposes.

Automatic release follows for most sentences (except the offences where life has been imposed, or the dangerous sentences, IPP or extended) so for example a 12 month sentence means automatic release after serving 6. In some cases, depending on nature of offence and how full the prison is, the person may get early release under home detention curfew (tagging). Contrary to popular belief, that has nothing to do with the lawyers or the Courts - simply a matter that the prison officials decide on.
Old 29 September 2008, 10:59 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ritchie21
Your best bet is to ring the Crown or Magistrates Court which handed down the sentence and ask them. The magistrates have to give reasons for any decision made which will be endorsed upon the papers by the Court Clerk (in case there is any appeal to the Crown Court). Crown Court Judges always make sentencing remarks as they have to ensure that if they have imposed custody that the offence has passed the 'custody threshold' - ie is so serious that nothing ither than a sentence of imprisonment is justified. The Court office should be able to give you reasons why the sentence was passed which will have been recorded, again for appeal purposes.

Automatic release follows for most sentences (except the offences where life has been imposed, or the dangerous sentences, IPP or extended) so for example a 12 month sentence means automatic release after serving 6. In some cases, depending on nature of offence and how full the prison is, the person may get early release under home detention curfew (tagging). Contrary to popular belief, that has nothing to do with the lawyers or the Courts - simply a matter that the prison officials decide on.
Looks like being a criminal must pay pretty well with little chance of effective punishment then!

Les
Old 29 September 2008, 11:22 AM
wagrain
Scooby Regular

I Know a dodgy guy local to us that I thought had gone down for 6 years so was amazed to see him 9 or 10 months later walking past my house with a watch on his ankle (so thats what a tag looks like!). I later found out from the local information database (the pub) that the judge had given him 2 years for each of his 3 convictons, but that they all started at the same time, so its really a total of only 2 years and not 6. Seems a daft system to me. Then he also got released 3 months early on the ankle watch.

The thing that gets me is, the guy obtained around £100,000 by fraud or whatever it was (the money was never found) and served 9 or 10 months in a 2 star hotel as punishment.
Makes me think I'm in the wrong job - I'd serve a full year for that £100k!!!