Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Selling an item for cash - how do you ensure you are not being given dodgy notes?

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2008, 11:07 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can buy quite cheap note checkers these days, they check the mag stripe on the note.

Mini UV & MG Counterfeit Money Detector / Fake Note on eBay, also, Point of Sale POS Equipment, Retail Shop Fitting, Business, Office Industrial (end time 04-Oct-08 21:59:07 BST)

Also, you should check

Reaction to UV (the above will do that)
Raised text on the denomination i.e "Twenty Pounds" - run your finger up and down the text and it will feel raised (should look raised too).
Watermark
Quality of paper
Serial Number, i.e not all AA123456789
Strong metal strip that does not pull / rip.

The older £20 are the most regular fakes apparently as the newer one is quite hard to copy.
Old 25 September 2008, 11:17 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

ok you could just go and buy an ink note check pen and check say 1 in 10. I think you get them at staples.
Old 25 September 2008, 11:24 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Go with him to the Bank & watch it being drawn out ie make sure Banks are open when he turns up. I do this all the time - even drawn it out & paid it in at the same Bank!

This day & age though there really is no excuse for not being able to do a Bank transfer of funds ie BACS.

TX.
Old 25 September 2008, 11:59 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, as I think was suggested earlier, is there no way you can get a detector pen. Don't know if it's fool proof, but that's what we use at work.

Do you know anyone who works in a store that uses them?

Trending Topics

Old 26 September 2008, 01:25 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Checking notes individually could be a long process, depending on how much youve sold the car for.

Ive always wondered about this, if you sell a car say for £5000 and its paid in £20's, you could quite easily miss the odd 10 or so notes. Thats £200 of monopoly money.

If you think the buyer is dodgy, check every one, if you think they seem pretty straight, check half.

Personally ive never checked cash for fakes and never had a problem, but i guess, theres always a first time.
Old 26 September 2008, 02:49 AM
Scoobyols69
Scooby Regular

quickest way dont accpet 50 pound notes most of them are fakes !! the one of easiest ways is to use a uv backlight to check if the money is real or fake
Old 26 September 2008, 03:20 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby_69er
quickest way dont accpet 50 pound notes most of them are fakes !! the one of easiest ways is to use a uv backlight to check if the money is real or fake

Sorry are you saying most £50 notes in circulation are fake?
Old 26 September 2008, 06:02 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Do all the above checks, and ask him to bring his driving licence and proof of address. A genuine buyer won't mind, but a dodgy one will run a mile
Old 26 September 2008, 06:33 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by **************
Problem with bank transfer and bacs is you can't do them the very minute you decide you want the car etc. The bloke is coming a long way and expecting to take it there and then. Can't give me the cash before coming obviously, can't go away arrange it and then return once he has seen it as too far to travel a 2nd time. Cash seems the only option, can't even trust bankers drafts any more as these have been faked.
you can go with him to the bank and get them to do a CHAPS (clearing house application payment system) this is done within a matter of an hour or so. it will cost £25.

hth

James
Old 26 September 2008, 08:26 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i have seen that many now, that i can usually spot them just by the feel of them.

i have even been able to spot one, in the middle of my till before, surrounded by other notes as it just looked a bit "wrong"

the most common fake 20quid note around this way is a scottish one!!
because most people don't see enough of them in real life to be able to spot the fake ones, most of the business`s around this way stopped accepting the scottish 20`s about 2 years ago when about 3/4 of them all got hit in one day, asda lost quite a bit of cash

gangs of jocks were coming down for an easy ride, doubt this would be a problem further down the country tbh but as newcastle is like the last line of defence from the pesky buggers we got hit first