Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Out of body experience

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2008, 10:09 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out of body experience

Sure I heard on the news ,scientists are investigating this seriously at the moment.

I think its more interesting than the Hadron Spladron Collider.

How the heck can they 'prove' or 'disprove 'this one?

(The only odd experience I have had is waking up in bed fully conscious but not being able to move anything,legs arms,etc.No it wasn't a hangover but it sure scared me )

Over to the scooby scientists (why the heck do so many scientists have Subarus?)
Old 18 September 2008, 10:16 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

See here. Of course, no matter the outcome of the experiment, people who believe in the afterlife will say it's wrong for whatever reason, and people who don't believe in the afterlife will say it confirms what they knew all along, so nothing will have changed!

Still, it keeps someone in a job.

Geezer
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

They are doing it by measuring brain activity.

And by cleverly putting photos on shelves etc in such a position that you will only be able to see them from the ceiling. So that when someone says "I saw myself on the operating table" they will able to say "great - what was on the pictures?"

At which point they answer will probably be "i was concentrating on me!"

In other words, the brain may well function and give the impression of an outer body experience, but it is the equivalent of "dreaming"

I'm not sure it's the best use of public funds.

BBC NEWS | Health | Study into near-death experiences
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I had a friend who had one, he got stabbed in the lung and remembers looking down at his body on the floor with the paramedics tending to him. His friend was screaming at him to wake up. The next thing he remembers is looking down on the medics operating on him in theatre. Then he woke up on a ward in a lot of pain!
Old 18 September 2008, 10:24 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It seems to me that those who have not experienced such an event are not qualified to say whether it can happen or not.

Les
Old 18 September 2008, 10:25 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

i had a mate in a severe motorbike accident and he was sitting by a tree near the road watching himself being attended to.

he has no reason to lie about it...

very strange!
Old 18 September 2008, 10:27 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Well this is intended to say once and for all - Had an outer body experience? Just tell 'em what was on the picture.

I bet not one person gets it right.
Old 18 September 2008, 10:28 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX_Dazza
i had a mate in a severe motorbike accident and he was sitting by a tree near the road watching himself being attended to.

he has no reason to lie about it...

very strange!
I don't doubt that people have these experiences - I mean you can dream flying, and it seems very real - But no way can I do it in reality.
Old 18 September 2008, 10:33 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

yeah true...
Old 18 September 2008, 10:41 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

My take on it is when you are unconcious youre brain is in a trace, some sort of dream at the shock of what may have just happened to you. Not actually stood in a spirit form next to yourself.
Old 18 September 2008, 11:53 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

The friend of mine who experienced it says he could see a very bright light which he felt was calling him, he felt that he made a choice not to go to it. This was whilst he was watching himself being operated on.

The doctor did say afterwards that it was a bit touch and go as to whether he made it so who knows what happened to him. I like to believe in the idea that we all are a 'soul' that just lives in a body for a short space of time before moving on to another one but I can't imagine anyone ever proving anything remotely like that. It would solve the mystery of life if they did so then we'd have nothing left to look forward to when we died
Old 18 September 2008, 12:08 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

I believe we have a soul.

I think it is something we will never unravel or solve by scientific methods.In fact there are so many things we will never understand

Which is why I think the other 'experiment ' might be 'interesting' but is just the tip of an iceberg
Old 18 September 2008, 12:09 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

When I was in my early twenties I was taken seriously ill, I was given a 50 50 chance. I was unconscious and was in intensive care (as it was called then). I quite clearly remember looking down on myself in bed, my mother was sat in the chair next to my bed. I later described the scene, where the bed was in the ward which side the chair was, what my mother was wearing etc. All the details were correct. I cannot explain it and have rarely mentioned it to any one in the past. Was it an out of body experience? I dont know but I still feel it was a very strange happening.
Old 18 September 2008, 01:07 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti
Sure I heard on the news ,scientists are investigating this seriously at the moment.

I think its more interesting than the Hadron Spladron Collider.

How the heck can they 'prove' or 'disprove 'this one?

(The only odd experience I have had is waking up in bed fully conscious but not being able to move anything,legs arms,etc.No it wasn't a hangover but it sure scared me )

Over to the scooby scientists (why the heck do so many scientists have Subarus?)
i read somewhere that when you are asleep your body is supposed to paralyse you, i do believe it has a drug to do this, to stop you moving about, sometimes it does not wake you up properly when you want to get out of bed .

might be wrong mind

i had a dream once that i actually died

i was pissing about in a car, drove into a river and started sinking, i could not get out, so thought "**** it, cant get out, going to die, lets just die and get it over with"

the dream then faded to black as i died

then i woke up and thought i was a ghost

one of my old team leaders when i was 17 tried to kill himself, i caught up with him a few years later after he got out the various mental places, he told me he wanted to die, took loads of pills, and fell asleep.

when he woke up, he thought he was a ghost, and was walking around his house, until his mam asked him what he was doing in the kitchen PMSL

Last edited by StickyMicky; 18 September 2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 18 September 2008, 01:13 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

i read somewhere that when you are asleep your body is supposed to paralyse you, i do believe it has a drug to do this, to stop you moving about,
what about sleepwalkers etc?
Old 18 September 2008, 01:16 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie
what about sleepwalkers etc?
apperentl, sometimes it does not work, its supposed to stop you from sleepwalking!

i sleepwalk myself, i have been close to walking outside in my kegs "going to see the boats"
Old 18 September 2008, 01:17 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
i read somewhere that when you are asleep your body is supposed to paralyse you, i do believe it has a drug to do this, to stop you moving about, sometimes it does not wake you up properly when you want to get out of bed .

might be wrong mind

i had a dream once that i actually died

i was pissing about in a car, drove into a river and started sinking, i could not get out, so thought "**** it, cant get out, going to die, lets just die and get it over with"

the dream then faded to black as i died

then i woke up and thought i was a ghost

Micky, sorry mate but

That has just cracked me up, and I am supposed to be working
Old 18 September 2008, 01:18 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

or

During normal sleep the chemical messenger gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) acts as an inhibitor that stifles the activity of the brain’s motor system.
New_scooby_04

Evidence of such an out of body experience here:

YouTube - Mary Loves Dick - Most Haunted - Fraud

The Chief
Scooby Regular

Its called sleep paralysis and i used to have it all the time when i was younger, it is quite alarming but i have got used to it but tbh only have it every few months.

When you dont know what it is it can be quite scary
Old 18 September 2008, 01:19 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

i sleepwalk myself, i have been close to walking outside in my kegs "going to see the boats"

Me too....

I was just contemplating starting an 'Any funny sleepwaking stories' thread as I have a belter, but some things are better left unposted

PS Thankfully, I've grown out of it
Old 18 September 2008, 01:19 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
It seems to me that those who have not experienced such an event are not qualified to say whether it can happen or not.

Les
That's not a tenable position, though, is it. There are people who do claim to have had such an experience, who will of course say that it can happen, and there are people who don't claim to have had one, whose opinion you are choosing to disregard.

Surely you'd agree that you can't possibly draw an accurate conclusion from such selectively chosen evidence?

It shouldn't actually be too difficult to devise an experiment to distinguish between actual perception, and dream-like images generated entirely by the subject's own mind. The idea of using pictures that are not visible from the patient's physical location is a good one, but even more simply - can anyone actually describe the appearance of the medics that they 'saw' tending to them, presumably while unconscious?
Old 18 September 2008, 01:26 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
Its called sleep paralysis and i used to have it all the time when i was younger, it is quite alarming but i have got used to it but tbh only have it every few months.

When you dont know what it is it can be quite scary
Yup I suffer from this occasionally. There is nothing quite like the feeling of being "aware" but utterly unable to do anything - It's like you force yourself round, eventually - But sometimes, like you say, it can be quite alarming as you lie in this comatose/aware state.