Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do I have the legal right...

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2008, 07:01 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have the legal right...

I have just checked my internet banking and see that as promised I have recieved 'all' outstanding monies owed to me by my former employers. But the sum I was paid is lower than what I anticipated through working it out on a weekly basis.

I will recieve a wage slip eventually, but they aren't really that explanative, just a few numbers dotted around a pink bit of toilet paper really.

What I would like to know is although that I am now officially not their employee any longer, can I request a detailed breakdown of where they have got their figures from? I worked on an hourly basis broken down into little things which accumulate to an average hourly wage, for which I was paid weekly. A stupid bonus system, so you never got the same earnings every week and it would flucutate slightly.

I ask as although not on speaking terms with them (except via my legal team), I wanna know how they have come up with this amount. The fatties upstairs in H.R. and wages are known to sit around a table eating fatty patty cakes and conjure up random numbers from time to time.

Any advice on whether I'm allowed access to this information breakdown or indeed a mehtod of obtaining this would be appreciated, ta
Old 18 September 2008, 07:13 AM
Semper
Scooby Regular

Have you asked them?
Old 18 September 2008, 07:47 AM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

^^^ What he said. Just ring up and ask them!
Old 18 September 2008, 08:16 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

either ring them or get your legal team to request it for you, they should have to justify how they made their calculations and provide the formula etc for it if you have a query as otherwise you would have no way of finding errors.
Old 18 September 2008, 08:48 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

if you are being paid a "larger than usual" sum, chances are you are being taxed on it to the heavens.
Old 18 September 2008, 09:43 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

As above. If youre paid the equivalent of six weeks wages all in one go, then youll only receive one pay periods (ie one weeks) tax allowance. In practice that means that youll be paying tax on five weeks worth of £104 (per wk.), thatd have been tax free otherwise.

It should all come right at the end of the tax year, but it can sting until then...
Old 18 September 2008, 10:36 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Whatever the reason, you must have the right to ask how they are paying you what you are owed. Might be worth getting the legal eagle to do it for you.

Les
Old 18 September 2008, 11:38 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I think I may request my solicitor to do it. If I ring up and request it, all I will get is abuse and snotty replies while being passed around the H.R. team on hold.

Honestly, never ring up as it gets you know where

But I can't go in as they won't let me through the two external fence and two sets of turnstiles into reception. I dare say the receptionist knows my face and will not let me in.
Old 18 September 2008, 11:57 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Best to do it as you said above then Chocolate, less upsetting too.

Les
Old 18 September 2008, 12:54 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
I dare say the receptionist knows my face and will not let me in.
Put on a 'scream' mask?

Not sure if the Data Protection Act covers this sort of information, but you should be able to request disclosure of all the personal information about you that is held by the company for a small fee.
Old 18 September 2008, 01:08 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

If you give the gross amount to your local tax office, theyll confirm whether the deductions are correct. With regards to the gross amount, if theyre acting as you say then its better that your solicitor makes an official demand.
Old 18 September 2008, 04:56 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
This is said with no malice or sarcasm intended at all, but i think you need to let this go now. I haven't followed your ordeal closely but have seen you posting about it every week. It's obviously seriously effecting you and causing a lot of stress.

You've got the money now, would it not be better to draw a line under it and walk away towards a fresh start rather than continue to spend time and effort chasing this anymore?

Honestly, sometimes it's better to just walk away and get on with life rather than dwell on the past....
Nope totally entitled to your opinion. I respect you for not putting it across like a lot of arseholes on here would - no names mentioned

But serioulsy, I can't let it go. I'm in the process of seeing whether I have a case for unfair dismissal. As you say, you don't know the ins and outs, and if you did, then your opinion may change. Again it may not, but I'm pretty confident on that assumption it would.

I won't rabbit on about my physical issues now/caused by them bla bla, but this is why I refuse to give it up. Honestly if the company had treated me correctly in the first place, none of this would be necessary. In the past with them I had the tendancy to be walked upon like a door mat, because, when unemployed 5 years ago, they empolyed me and I was grateful for that. But now I have seen them for what they really are and how they have treated me... well I'm not gonna walk away and let bygones be bygones. No offence intended
Old 18 September 2008, 05:07 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
I have just checked my internet banking and see that as promised I have recieved 'all' outstanding monies owed to me by my former employers. But the sum I was paid is lower than what I anticipated through working it out on a weekly basis.
Sorry chocy but if you received less than you anticipated how could they have paid you ALL outstanding monies???
Old 18 September 2008, 05:08 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Sorry chocy but if you received less than you anticipated how could they have paid you ALL outstanding monies???
Exactly, thats what they wrote to me saying they would do.

Obviously they're being funny buggers with me again
Old 18 September 2008, 08:41 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

You'll get your tax back via JSA. Sorted.
Old 19 September 2008, 07:18 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
You'll get your tax back via JSA. Sorted.
How do you mean? I'm not putting in a claim for job seekers allowance. I'm putting a claim in for incapacity benefit. Will ask for an independant interview, to see what help (as in training, not just ££) I can obtain to get into work. I think under the pc brigades ruling, I'm technically disabled so may be entitled to some sort of training scheme at least as my opportunities are severely limited.
Old 19 September 2008, 11:01 AM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

Your tax affairs will be sorted out what ever you claim for.

Seriously, if your injury is so bad that you have to claim incapacity benefit, then your pay out is going to be huge.

I take the doctors have registered you as disabled now, so the whole thing will go through with no problems. I'd not worry about the 10 quids worth of tax money!
Old 19 September 2008, 12:55 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Odds on
Your tax affairs will be sorted out what ever you claim for.

Seriously, if your injury is so bad that you have to claim incapacity benefit, then your pay out is going to be huge.

I take the doctors have registered you as disabled now, so the whole thing will go through with no problems. I'd not worry about the 10 quids worth of tax money!
I'm not too sure with regards my doctors marking me down as disabled, but I can confirm it has been discussed and mentioned in several conversations.

The DDA (disability discrimination act) was discussed at my former employers, and even their own employed health physician agreed I was covered under the act. Waht this means is probably understood better by my legal team.

I don't wanna think about payouts, as I still have to prove it's their fault. It will be a long drawn out process I estimate. At best it will probably take 3 years to go through, unless the company realise I have to good a case, thats something I can't and won't be foolish enough to predict

Re. the original question I asked, I've recieved my wage slip today. All it has on it is "Pay in Lieu of Notice" 'x' amount. No maths, no details etc. A copy of this is being emailed to my current Union rep, who lets say is an agitated fellow and an awful lot more useful than previous representation. He will wirte a correctly worded letter signed by myself to request a breakdown of how this amount was calculated.

By my figures (and I'm pretty good at maths in general), I'm closer to £300 down and not £10