How do you.......

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2008, 03:51 PM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you.......

Find someone who has went into hospital

My nextdoor neighbour went into our local hospital last Wednesday for a knee operation, he still isn't home yet and we are slightly worried as he is in his 70's and before he went in he had told us he would only be in for up to 3 days. We don't know which ward he is on. Can I phone the main number for the hospital and give his name and explain I'm unsure which ward he will be on and we just want to know he is ok? And would they tell me anyways seeing as we are not a relation?
Old 11 September 2008, 04:05 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can only phone and ask, they might let you know if he is still on the wards but chances are they won't because you might be lining up to burgle his house.

Best route is ask to leave a message on the ward he might be on, the neighbour can confirm who you are and the ward sister should phone you back to let you know the score. It's all a bit convoluted if you are not a known relative.

They will not divulge any medical information to you though.

HTH

Shaun
Old 11 September 2008, 04:24 PM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

Thanks
Oh, I don't want to know anything, just that he's ok seeing as it's been over a week now since he went in to have it done. I can only try I suppose.
Old 11 September 2008, 11:26 PM
gaz-cole
Scooby Regular

you could always phone up to ask how he is if they ask who it is say its a nephew or something, from my experience of hospitals, they very rarely tell the patient someone has rang to ask after them.
Old 12 September 2008, 07:41 AM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

Thanks, in my case I would have to say niece etc

I'm going to give it a try this morning, might just ask if he's still on a ward or due to come home, don't think I'll pretend I'm a relation, I'll just explain I'm his neighbour and was worried at the fact he still wasn't back after over a week.
Old 12 September 2008, 11:59 AM
gaz-cole
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Julz1983
Thanks, in my case I would have to say niece etc

I'm going to give it a try this morning, might just ask if he's still on a ward or due to come home, don't think I'll pretend I'm a relation, I'll just explain I'm his neighbour and was worried at the fact he still wasn't back after over a week.

i thought of putting nephew/niece as its one of those names you just cant tell, let us know how you get on
Old 12 September 2008, 01:28 PM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

well I phoned up and could confirm any questions about him so all I got told was that he's still there and which ward but nothing as to how he is. Might actually take a trip down there now I know a ward, he doesn't see his family and his sons and daughter haven't seen him for years now so it must be pretty crappy in there for over a week