Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cant believe the treatment i had at my local Doctors Today

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2008, 10:04 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cant believe the treatment i had at my local Doctors Today

I dont go to the doctors often, last time i went thought i had a lump on my nads ha ha so it has to be serious/playing on my mind for me to go.

Book an appointment for today,missus comes with me.

Basically, i have, where you wear your watch on your right hand, on the bone part underneath your wrist a lump,1 penny in diamter and its uncomfortable when i wear my watch,do my weights, anything that makes your wrist be used.

i wait 20 mins, cool,no probs, doctor comes out,calls me in, he says he has doctor foster with him, cool, trainee i thought........

i sit down, missues next to me, i expalin the problem, he looks at it, then says,

Doc, hmm, what do you want the outcome to be today ?
Me, err, to tell me what it is
Doc, hmm, i dont know
Me, o.k
Doc, hmmm
Me, thinking he`s a usless ****
Doc, Hmm
Other doc, the actual doctor, i had the new guy, what do you think it is doctor.
Doc, some kind of lump
Me, no **** !
Doc, Hmm
My missus, well ?
Doc, i dont know
Other doc takes a look, feels like a gangling
me, i thought so, can it be sorted
Doc, in the old days, they hit them with the bible
Me, wheres the bible, im wackin him with it.

In the end, i stood up after alot of waffle saying nothing can be done, got fed up, lost faith/confidence in them after tellin me to go private just wanted to leave.

the missus kicked off sayin i dont come often to the docs so it must be uncomfortable etc etc, the docs were like, hmm, nothin can be done.

usesless lot, total idiots !!

Are all gp`s like this ?

oh yeah,they cant remove worts anymore, not the sexual ones, they have a leaflet tellin you to put duct tape on it for 6 days then rub the wort off with arought stone

sheesh
Old 04 September 2008, 10:41 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have a ganglion (sp) a build up of gristle, that has gone hard.

not life threatening, so no worrys

in the old days they used to hit them with a heavy object to break up the

gangleon, and disperse it.

these days?

some go down if you leave them, others dissapear on there own.

make another appointment if it dosent improve.

not much else you can do really

mart
Old 04 September 2008, 10:44 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is surprising how many trainees haven't seen a ganglion, they spend too much time getting them to consider ideas, concerns and expectations of patients. They spend time studying about consultation models and hidden agendas, which is all well and good when it is appropriate. For an average bloke with a lump he usually just wants to know what it is and what can or should be done about it and all the other rubbish can be discarded.

I think it is the equivalent to useless call centres that after they've been useless ask you, "Is there anything else I can do for you today?"

I would employ some ritual humiliation on any trainee of mine that carried on like a numpty like this

A ganglion can certainly be removed on the NHS if the patients wants it to be removed or it causes them problems due to its size, appearance or compression of other structures. Just ask for an orthopaedic referral and it can be whipped off under local anaesthetic at the hospital, certainly that is how it works here. Some GPs do them, but to remain competent at procedures you want to stick to what you do regularly.

I reckon about half my patients opt for them to be removed. I probably see about 4 or 5 patients a year with a ganglion.
Old 04 September 2008, 10:44 PM
New_scooby_04

I went to hospital the other day and was given a check up by a Dr: he gave me a rectal exam, checked by ***** etc.. It was horrible.

He said "You're fine"

I said "Great, but I was only here to visit my Nan!"

There was something funny about him!

Ns04
Old 04 September 2008, 10:49 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Trainees, eh?
I remember my brother being rushed to the Outpatients once. he was in agony with stomach ache. He could hardly speak in that state, so we carted him to the hospital in the middle of the night. He was diagnosed with appendicitis by a trainee, and he was to be urgently admitted for the surgery in the morning. At that, my brother got off the stretcher at once, and said to the trainee doc:"What the hell are you talking about???? I had 6 boiled eggs with a bottle load of tomato catchup on them for my dinner. It's nothing but some serious wind in my guts, you fool!" And he walked out That was the end of our trust in trainee docs

The Rig, I have a little lump on my back. It has been there for years. It doesn't cause any hurt or a problem, but I recently had it looked at. My GP has offered in-house surgery for that after one glance at it. He has postponed it 3 times by now (he has had to go abroad), but he will do it next week. No test took place, nothing. According to him, dead muscle/mass can be removed under local anesthetic in the GP's clinic itself, performed by the nurse and the GP. Why can't they do the same for you, man?

Last edited by Turbohot; 04 September 2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04 September 2008, 10:58 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
It is surprising how many trainees haven't seen a ganglion, they spend too much time getting them to consider ideas, concerns and expectations of patients. They spend time studying about consultation models and hidden agendas, which is all well and good when it is appropriate. For an average bloke with a lump he usually just wants to know what it is and what can or should be done about it and all the other rubbish can be discarded.

I think it is the equivalent to useless call centres that after they've been useless ask you, "Is there anything else I can do for you today?"

I would employ some ritual humiliation on any trainee of mine that carried on like a numpty like this

A ganglion can certainly be removed on the NHS if the patients wants it to be removed or it causes them problems due to its size, appearance or compression of other structures. Just ask for an orthopaedic referral and it can be whipped off under local anaesthetic at the hospital, certainly that is how it works here. Some GPs do them, but to remain competent at procedures you want to stick to what you do regularly.

I reckon about half my patients opt for them to be removed. I probably see about 4 or 5 patients a year with a ganglion.

He doesn't want to hear all that, he wants you to agree that the doctors were crap and that they ought to have "done something".

Trending Topics

Old 04 September 2008, 11:18 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad im not alone,dont think id have had the ***** to let him proceed and operate on it, think i`ll make an appointment with the orphapeadic unit at ym local hospital,see what happens/if they whip it out, darling ha ha

cheers all
Old 04 September 2008, 11:23 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I went to hospital the other day and was given a check up by a Dr: he gave me a rectal exam, checked by ***** etc.. It was horrible.

He said "You're fine"

I said "Great, but I was only here to visit my Nan!"

There was something funny about him!

Ns04
Yes, but your Nan was discharged that afternoon and youve been back every afternoon for the last three days !
Old 04 September 2008, 11:25 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bubba

It's called on the job training.....

I look after dentists in training and patients are told that they can be examined by trainees and then I come in at the end "or" they can see me for 5 minutes and they are on their way LOL

The vast majority of patients are quite happy to participate in training provided they know they have seen a Consultant

Maybe the initial introduction was a bit flawed ?

Shaun
Old 04 September 2008, 11:26 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Trainees, eh?
I remember my brother being rushed to the Outpatients once. he was in agony with stomach ache. He could hardly speak in that state, so we carted him to the hospital in the middle of the night. He was diagnosed with appendicitis by a trainee, and he was to be urgently admitted for the surgery in the morning.
Yes, my wife had her appendix removed about two years ago and it was found to be perfectly healthy. They decided that perhaps it was just IBS or 'something', but anyway her appendix wouldn't cause her any problems in the future ...

(this was in Poland though)

Steve
Old 05 September 2008, 07:35 AM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

Sorry, no offence to any doctors here but I have no faith left in doctors, I have posted on other threads what happened to me this year after my doctor, who I am no longer with, left my condition undiagnosed for 18 months! Which has now left me unable to have anymore kids and left with problems that may reoccur after needing major surgery.

I find that everytime you see a doctor they ask you what the problem is, well if we knew that we wouldn't be sitting there asking the doctor!

Go back and see a different doctor, if you are still unhappy see the practice manager.

Mine is as far as the Healthcare Commission at the moment but that is because it was serious.

Good Luck trying to get anywhere with it.

Last edited by Julz1983; 05 September 2008 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05 September 2008, 07:46 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

To the OP. I have two ganglion growths, one on the outer left forearm, one on the inner left wrist. I wear my watch on my right hand so neither bother me.

When I mentioned them to the quack he said he could remove them if I wished as a local op, but unless it was causing me pain then there was no point.
Old 05 September 2008, 11:05 AM
yoza
BANNED

Wearing a watch on your right wrist is akin to wear shoes on your hands....

There is only one thing worse than the above, and thats wearing a watch with the face under your wrist, this is a well known sign that the wearer is an alien.
Old 05 September 2008, 11:22 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I used to suffer from a build-up of grissel on my wrists year ago. Used to be quite painfull. The hitting it with something hard does work, for a while anyway. Went on for years. Just one of those things really.

Don't have it now though
Old 05 September 2008, 12:42 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

i went few months ago , she asked if it was ok to record me and i had to strip, i though ben dover was going to walk with his filming crew. turned out to be for her university or something well gutted

But my doctors seem ok , one though he's a useless tosser he told me once i just had a cold but ended up being a chest infection
Old 05 September 2008, 01:29 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I remember that when you visited a doctor he would invariably check your blood pressure and listen to your chest with the stethoscope, and then look at your retina with his special torch *** scope.

That never seems to happen any more-wonder why those basic checks are no longer considered necessary.

Les