Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mobile Phone Insurance (Direct Debit problem)

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2008, 09:38 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobile Phone Insurance (Direct Debit problem)

Following a debit card fraud on my daughter's bank account, which meant a close look at all outgoings, I discovered that she had being paying 2 direct debits (£22 & £29) every quarter to Carphone Warehouse for a couple of years or more.

It turns out that these are insurance premiums for mobiles she had used under contract, first with Virgin and then Orange. It seems that when she got a new phone no one thought about cancelling the insurance on the old one and so Carphone Warehouse just kept raking in the money; as far as I can tell this would have carried on ad infinitum.

Yes I know it was her responsibility to check these things but she didn't so don't rub this in

But this must happen a lot??? Seems legal, but dubious, practice to me. Am I wasting my time in trying to get any refunds? Have you been caught like this? dl
Old 04 September 2008, 11:02 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I would say progress it as far as you can after all if you are paying for a service you are not using then they should refund the money but I would say you will need to prove that she has not used the phones associated tot he insurance to make all the ends tie up.

good luck.
Old 04 September 2008, 11:10 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Also keep in mind there may be minimum terms of contract for the insurances as well.
Good luck getting it sorted out. Thats one of the reasons I prefer to have the insurance direct with the account, as the phone changes, so does the cover.
Old 04 September 2008, 11:11 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks Paul. Yeah I think it's worth a letter just on the basis "if you don't ask you don't get!"

I'll have to see if my gal has any papers on the Contracts which might prove something. Best get writing I suppose.

I can't really criticise as I remember years and years ago I agreed a direct debit for some seedy nightclub membership for £6 a year. I paid this for a decade or more before I noticed and cancelled it. Only went to the club once anyway!!! dl