Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Pay as You Drive Scheme

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2008, 02:55 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pay as You Drive Scheme

Just had Autocar through the door and there was an article in there saying that the Government is going ahead with its toll system and is looking to rush it through and have it implemented by 2010.

Labour just want more and more money from the general public whilst at the same time the cost of living is going through the roof. Where do they expect people to find the extra money from? They just don't give a flying ****!!

I want them out now. Bunch of imbeciles!!!
Old 03 September 2008, 03:00 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

I would suggest that that article is cr@p. Not saying that the Govt aren't trying to introduce it, it's just that it would take years to implement.

2010 is not possible.
Old 03 September 2008, 03:11 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

But who do we vote for ? Camerloon is a total tofu sandal wearing eco-cyclist who'll jump on any bandwagon which will secure him the middle-England vote from all the jumped-up do-goody vegan earth-mothers whom vote in their thousands. the average w*rking man who simply wants a politician to represent them well, tax them fairly and make a country that we can all be proud of are usually too busy or too apathetic to vote.
Old 03 September 2008, 03:13 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
I would suggest that that article is cr@p. Not saying that the Govt aren't trying to introduce it, it's just that it would take years to implement.

2010 is not possible.
I agree there FM. The sheer complexity of introducing such a system would be a logistical nightmare. The fact that the Government is still pursuing the idea is what has pissed me off though. It's take take take and nothing seems to be getting any better.
Old 03 September 2008, 03:15 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I heard from Pistonheads that they were trying to drive this policy through (no pun intended ).

In the present political climate the car is evil, but essential. Therefore it will be taxed to death until we are all paying a fortune to drive the most miserable forms of transport and are limited to essential journeys only.

Unless of course people start voicing their opinions and actually get other people to see the light before it is too late. Most of the people I talk to about stuff like this are totally unaware, and simply just don't care. No wonder they get away with it
Old 03 September 2008, 03:15 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrRA
nothing seems to be getting any better
It is if you're not British
Old 03 September 2008, 03:26 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

In France they always have a riot and burn a few things when the Government tries it on. About time we took to the streets and voiced out opinions. I just don't know how people are standing for it. This country is in dire straights if you ask me. Pity we haven't anyone with a bit of backbone to do something about it!

Trending Topics

Old 03 September 2008, 03:39 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

The only people left driving the good cars {so to speak} will be the politicians been paid for on our money.

They will probably rush it though with little thought of the impact, it is what they usually do, what does it matter to them after all they still get paid.
Old 03 September 2008, 07:30 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Having driven a thousand miles recently in France on their toll motorways. I paid approx £100 for the privilege. Good roads, virtually deserted. If uk motorways were to become the same quality and reduced traffic flow, then it may be worth it.
Old 03 September 2008, 08:18 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
Having driven a thousand miles recently in France on their toll motorways. I paid approx £100 for the privilege. Good roads, virtually deserted. If uk motorways were to become the same quality and reduced traffic flow, then it may be worth it.
but do you really think that would happen. Why tax an EMPTY motorway. Thats just ineffective at bringing in revenue. You want to squeeze and squash as many people onto a crappie road as possible. Then make them pay for the privilege, and also make sure the journey is a poor one to justify the charge. That is how this country's transport system works.
Old 03 September 2008, 08:37 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
I did something similar on the dual carriageways in France, had much the same experience as yourself and it didn't cost a bean
Old 03 September 2008, 08:52 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
I did something similar on the dual carriageways in France, had much the same experience as yourself and it didn't cost a bean
there's always an exit ramp before you reach a toll booth

now "if" the thief's abolished fuel duty and road tax to bring in "pay as you drive" that could turn a few head's,as this could and would benefit some but not all,i.e mr oap,just popping down the shops,or the rural commuter's out there,like myself

but,abolishing fuel duty and tax is not something that would be done,it will just be added on top of said "pay as you go"

marcus
Old 03 September 2008, 08:57 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

There's a very good reason the Motorways in France have light traffic. It's SEVEN times bigger than Britain with a (slightly) smaller population. Imagine getting rid of 6 out of every 7 cars on UK roads to see how that would work here.
Old 03 September 2008, 09:25 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I always thought that pay as you drive scheme would replace the current road tax system, however, since they've revamped the road tax (VED), how can they justify introducing pay as you drive unless they are going to do away with VED. We're already taxed to use the road, surely they can't justify taxing road users twice for using the roads??!
Old 03 September 2008, 09:30 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
I always thought that pay as you drive scheme would replace the current road tax system, however, since they've revamped the road tax (VED), how can they justify introducing pay as you drive unless they are going to do away with VED. We're already taxed to use the road, surely they can't justify taxing road users twice for using the roads??!
It is justifiable because its a green tax, and everyone should therefore pay more. Just the same as all other green measures, it simply costs you more, and they hide behind the green label so that you don't complain too much.

They will offer some token adjustment to sweeten the bitter pill, what this is we will have to wait and see. They did hint at reduced fuel tax, although they will not abolosish it. This of course leaves the obvious double edged tax increases in future of both more per mile, and more tax per litre. Not to mention constantly tracked and averaged speed checking wherever you go....

...to be honest that is why I think they want to do this. They would really like to know where every single car is in the country at every single second. Just like ID cars, they want more control over people. I'm not that keen on either idea to be honest
Old 03 September 2008, 09:39 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
they dont care
Old 03 September 2008, 10:55 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Luminous
They would really like to know where every single car is in the country at every single second
So, who'd like to drive my Furby every day. I don't want a name, address or anything, just a time and date we swap back sometime in the future
Old 04 September 2008, 12:18 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
But who do we vote for ? Camerloon is a total tofu sandal wearing eco-cyclist who'll jump on any bandwagon which will secure him the middle-England vote from all the jumped-up do-goody vegan earth-mothers whom vote in their thousands. the average w*rking man who simply wants a politician to represent them well, tax them fairly and make a country that we can all be proud of are usually too busy or too apathetic to vote.
You may well be right, we just don't know, but are you happy to give this lot another 5 years to really destroy the country completely?

Les