Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fitting a gas cooker?

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2002, 03:37 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know thay say you should get a corgi regiseterd fitter it install any gass applience, but it appears the next one in the bracknell area is avalible in two weeks!!

Am I going to kill myself if I fit it myself. Just turn off the gas, insert the Baianet fitting push and turn, turn gas back on and check for any leaks with a bit of diluted washing up liquid, if no bubbles, turn on a burner and light the gas? Is that all there is to it or am I missing a vital trick? The pervious owners had a gas cooker, and they have just taken it out, so should be no problems with the pressure?

Any advice welcome.

Russell.
Old 08 February 2002, 03:39 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Did my Zanussi Duel-Fuel cooker 6 years ago. Just plug and pray . . er I mean Play.

Haven't blown myself up yet
Old 08 February 2002, 03:41 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Should be straight forward if it's a bayonet and no soldering or anything is involved.

You might be on sticky ground with your house insurance should anything go wrong though !

Have you explained to a plumber that's all you want ? They may be able to squeeze you in.
Old 08 February 2002, 03:43 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

I don't really want to pay £60 for the priveldge of some pluging something in which appears to be no more complicated than changing a light bulb.

It is a dual fuel cooker, I did the LXtrickery bit last night and that seams to be fine, that did not worry me as I work with it every day, the trickery that is! What a horroble smell as it was burning off the oven coatings, it did warn me but did not expect it to smell that bad.
Old 08 February 2002, 04:36 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Smile

Do what we in the gas industry do to every joint that we make.
Put a soapy water test on the joint. As you wont have the proper detection fluid put a bit of washing up liquid with some water and cover the joint you have made with it. If it bubbles your in trouble, if it dont your OK.

Trouble with bayanet fittings is peope push then in but dont turn them far enough and after a while they work loose. Check you havent done this by pulling on the fitting and make sure its in nice and tight.

Chip.
Old 08 February 2002, 04:51 PM
Lewegie
Scooby Regular

Russel
I am registered and have all of the certificates of competance etc, to work with gas. As for connecting a gas cooker, the bayonet fitting is designed to be idiot proof and very rarely leaks once connected. To connect there is no need to isolate the gas at the meter control valve, just insert and twist to lock.
For peace of mind put some soapy water around the fitting and check for bubbles, however wash the soap off afterwards as this can be corrosive.
Your cooker should be serviced annually as other gas appliances in your home so a gas soundness check will be automatically done next time a service is carried out.
Old 08 February 2002, 04:56 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

I am a chimp when it comes to DIY and I fitted a gas hob with a friend who is a trained fitter and it was as everyone has said above - soapy water on the joint to check for leaks.

Easy peasy. Havent thought about the insurance point though, interesting one.......
Old 08 February 2002, 05:58 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Had this with new cooker. Think it's an easy thing to do, think the problem is with insurance. For example, if due to the fitting the house burns down and the ins co asks if corgi registered fitted it and you can't prove they did then you could be uninsured, which would not be good.
Old 08 February 2002, 06:19 PM
jimbrit
Scooby Regular

Red face

Yep easy peasy to fit but if you are not corgi registered you will invalidate your house insurance.

Sorry but blame the idiots who fit it themselves using old pipes, blow the house up and then try and claim on their insurance!!

Jim
Old 10 February 2002, 01:12 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments guys I have now fitted it and it seams to be working OK, checked for the leaks with the soapy water, and it seamed fine. But will probably get it checked in the near future, just for the insurace point of view.
Old 10 February 2002, 01:33 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

Nexuas,
please bear in mind that to become a Corgi registered gas installer we have to go on Acops courses ,which i will have to go on in the next few months(again)at a cost of £600+ for 2 days of asessments + 2 days of lost wages+Our annual Corgi Licence £200+annual inspections from our local Corgi inspector.All this to plug a gas cooker in!!!

What a load of bollo$£s,isnt it!
I think it must be the only trade/job where you have to go back to college every 5 years just to prove your competence!!And it costs us,there are no government grants etc to help us out,so we have to put the cost of training onto our bills......
Old 10 February 2002, 01:53 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

I was not having a pop at any corgi fitters, it was just the fact that none were avalible for two weeks, otherwise I whould have waited.

How much would you charge to fit a dual Fuel cooker, as I was getting quotes of £60 plus, it took me about 1hour in total to fit both the gas and Electrickery?

That is obscene that you have to pay that much to be able to be a gas fitter, but it means that you are safe to deal with a potentially leathal substance, it makes us feel better that you have had to do this before you can mess with the tha gas in our homes. Stops any fool becoming a gas fitter and endangering lives. I am amazed it is sooooooo expensive for you guys.
Old 10 February 2002, 04:13 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

N,
I know you wernt having a pop at corgi fitters,sorry if the post came across that way.
Up here in the north i would probably charge £30 to fit gas cooker,providing its a bayonet type(plug in).if it was otherwise a little extra for fittings/pipe and a gas soundness test would be needed.

I know the Corgi/Acops register is a good thing because many poeple have been killed/gassed to death due to badly installed or badly maintained gas appliances,its just that its so expensive!
On the other hand there are other potentially dangerous jobs that require no membership to any organisation.eg.Mechanic,a badly done job could cause brake faliure,a wheel to come off etc etc
I think electricial engineers can chose to become a member of IEE or Nicee(?)but this is not a legal requirement unlike Corgi

Nexuas,Are you down south?Because there is a shortage of gas installers down there,that maybe the reason why you would of had to wait so long.
These sort of jobs i would have done on my way home

Duncan

Old 10 February 2002, 06:58 PM
tezza
Scooby Regular

scooby nutter I think to some degree CORGI is a money making exercise.
My mate did a corgi course 5 day one (gas safety plus cooker part) now he can do some aspects of work ing on gas appliances.
I on the other hand trained with British Gas (in BG 8 yrs total)plus C=G advanced plumber and was covered under the company. But when I left I could not touch anything as I would have had to pay over £1000 to get all the different parts of CORGI. As a customer who would you trust? the CORGI badge holder with 5 days experiance!! of course you do as this is all they are told to look for when getting someone round. Decided to be a photographer instead!
Terry
Old 10 February 2002, 08:54 PM
stevie c
Scooby Regular

Wink

Nexuas,

I wouldnt worry about it mate,the good thing about gas is that it smells really bad,its not like carbon monoxide were you dont know until you are ill or worse.

But I would think about getting it checked out anyway,when was the last time you had any other gas appliances checked in your house?Do you use a gas boiler or fire or anything?You could get them all done at the same time.

Better to be safe than sorry,even tho' its really easy to leave things like that if they seem ok.

Steve
Old 10 February 2002, 11:38 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

no one said to turn all gas stuff off, leave overnight and see if the gas meter has moved. if it has, either someone else is nicking the supply or its leaking.
Old 11 February 2002, 08:38 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nexuas

Not heard any explosions rocking Berkshire, so I guess all's well with the cooker? Surprised nobody mentioned to check for leaking gas with a match though
Old 11 February 2002, 09:48 AM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

It was a tense moment when I first went to light the gas, was kinda cowering away from the cooker turned the ring on and pressed the ignition button, and prayed.

Been done scince friday night now and the house was still there when I left this morning.
Old 11 February 2002, 07:39 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

tezza,
totally agree mate ,Corgi are robbin Ba"!£$"s!!
I work for my dad who has been in the Gas trade for 35 years,ex british gas apprentice(when they had towns gas!!)Helped with the conversion of all gas aplliances from towns gas to North sea gas.Now he has to go to college the same as me!I came out with more qualifications than he's got,by just doing a 5 day intensive course as part of my plumbing course!!!!
Its a mickey mouse system,a money making scheme,how can someone who's been on a 5 day course have more qualifications than someone who has been doing it since they were 16?and he was one of the first few who signed up to corgi!!
Isnt it a load of Cr*p!!but ive got to do it