Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cash point - almost lost me £70

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2008, 09:42 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Cash point - almost lost me £70

Went to my local cash point yesterday evening to draw out £70. The machine returned my card with the usual "please take your card and cash" message....
I then waited for my cash.... and waited.... and waited...

About a minute later I began pressing random buttons and it appeared the machine had crashed. Question was: Had the money been deducted from my account?
After waiting for about 2mins I decided to go to another cashpoint (which is about 50meters away.) I put my card in and checked balance to find £70 had indeed been deducted from my account. I reluctantly drew the remaining £40 (as that was all what was left due to being the day before payday) from the other machine and on walking back to my car I couldn't believe my ears..
The 1st machine was making that beeping noise they usually make when spewing money out. I ran over to find £70 had been dispensed!
In total this must have been about 4-5mins later.

Now usually there are kids everywhere but last night there was only 2 lads cycling around the precent and lucky for me they wern't near that machine whilst my money was hanging out of the dispense slot. Plus had there not been another machine nearby I may have driven off not knowing the machine would eventually release my cash!

Oh well, I have plenty in my wallet to last me for a few days now.

I was going to ring the branch today but didn't. I don't really want to complain as luckily I have all my money but do you think I should inform the branch of the problem?

Nick
Old 29 August 2008, 09:45 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

OMFG!!!

That's horrendous

fancy only have £110 in your account

Old 29 August 2008, 09:45 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Yes
Old 29 August 2008, 10:00 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

if noone takes the cash the machine swallows it again and credits it back to your account
Old 29 August 2008, 10:03 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol @ wwsd!!
Old 29 August 2008, 10:07 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by NAF
lol @ wwsd!!

sorry
Old 29 August 2008, 10:09 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
if noone takes the cash the machine swallows it again and credits it back to your account
They dont credit it to your account, unfortunately; you have to ask for it.
Old 29 August 2008, 10:35 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get like that at the end of the month but have a several million pound credit zone to use.
Old 29 August 2008, 10:41 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
They dont credit it to your account, unfortunately; you have to ask for it.
Incorrect. I've had my account credited before now for money that got jammed coming out of the machine (2 days after it was originally "debited" without asking
Old 29 August 2008, 11:31 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

Happened to me about 3 months ago,the amount was £250.

Heard the counter spinning round,then nothing appeared. Message on screen saying Please take you cash.

I waited ,nothing came out after 5 mins went about 300 yrds up the road to the Filling Station,and looked at my balance and got a recept. £250 gone out of my account.

This was at 7.00am so went to work,then when i finished straight up to the bank to report it.Filled a few forms out,then waited.Five days later i recived a letter from the bank,basically they said.....**** off there was nothing wrong with the machine and all rolls add up.

Still £250 down to this day.
Old 29 August 2008, 11:43 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Incorrect. I've had my account credited before now for money that got jammed coming out of the machine (2 days after it was originally "debited" without asking
Not incorrect. I had to claim off the B&B when an ATM within a Woolwich branch pulled my despensed cash back in. I had to claim as you would if you were delivered a short amount. The Woolwich/Barclays didnt even bother to reply and I ended up getting my £200 back by default when the claim timed out. You may well have got your balance credited but its not the norm.
Old 30 August 2008, 12:07 AM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

Don't listen to the scare story's. If the machine has an error, for what ever reason, it will be logged. Even if you leave and it spits the money out later to someone else, you'll be refunded.

You'll always hear the machine counting the money, to make sure there's enough, BEFORE it returns your card. If it's done that, it's logged. Any crashes will be logged with the time as well.

If you take your card and walk off without your money because your pissed and someone else has it..... Don't expect any help from the bank.
Old 30 August 2008, 09:02 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Yup, this happened to me in Asda once with a Nationwide machine. The machine just froze for several minutes with my card and cash still inside, so I used the machine next to it with a different card. After I'd finished on the second machine, the first one suddenly woke up and out popped my card and cash - just as we were walking away.
Old 30 August 2008, 12:52 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
OMFG!!!

That's horrendous

fancy only have £110 in your account

That's so unfair!

I've been in the same predicament. However, I was 18 years old at the time
Old 30 August 2008, 01:18 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

[NACRO mode = on]

Thats why I have a personal assistant to carry my cash round for me

[NACRO mode = off]

Old 30 August 2008, 06:37 PM
urdad
Scooby Regular

I too had to claim,off of HSBC,apparently they had to tally up the balance before they would pay out...
Old 31 August 2008, 08:14 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Almost been cauught out myself, but it was my card not cash..

the machine took the card then stopped...

aftr about 5 mins i was starting to wonder what to do, do you try to go into the shop and report it, or wait to see if it would be returned?

as luck would have it, it spat it out, but what if i hadn't have been there when it did?

one card sitting in the slot of a cashpoint machine...

and you can guess who the bank would blame

mart
Old 31 August 2008, 10:43 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IT takes the card back in after a set time and keeps it.
Old 31 August 2008, 11:15 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Odds on
Don't listen to the scare story's. If the machine has an error, for what ever reason, it will be logged. Even if you leave and it spits the money out later to someone else, you'll be refunded.

You'll always hear the machine counting the money, to make sure there's enough, BEFORE it returns your card. If it's done that, it's logged. Any crashes will be logged with the time as well.

If you take your card and walk off without your money because your pissed and someone else has it..... Don't expect any help from the bank.
If the ATM is a spray dispenser and you request £100 it will start handing out say £10 notes and if, after counting £80, it realises it doesn't have enough money it will still dispense the £80 and your account will be debited this amount.

If the ATM is a bunch dispenser and you request £100 it will first count that it has enough notes, if only 8 £10 notes were in the machine the transaction will fail and you will be given your card back.

Every single movement of the cash dispenser is logged to an 'Electronic Journal' on modern ATMs, for your particular transaction the journal will know exactly the amount you asked for and the amount you received, even the denomination of notes is recorded.

If the money is not collected it's then re-directed to the waste tray and the money will not be debited from your account. It certainly doesn't where I work, it may be different if you're using an ATM belonging to another bank though!!

To the guy who says he is still £250 down - you shold have carried on the fight, all journal rolls for ATMs need to be kept for a minimum of 6 months (this is the time frame for claims) and you should have asked to see the journal entry for your transaction.

Old 31 August 2008, 11:19 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
Almost been cauught out myself, but it was my card not cash..

the machine took the card then stopped...

aftr about 5 mins i was starting to wonder what to do, do you try to go into the shop and report it, or wait to see if it would be returned?

as luck would have it, it spat it out, but what if i hadn't have been there when it did?

one card sitting in the slot of a cashpoint machine...

and you can guess who the bank would blame

mart
If your card is retained it's placed in a holding tray just behind the card reader, this frees up the card reader for the next transaction.

If the ATM is a store i.e. Co-op and it's a Merchant fill (rather than bank takings from the tills they put it into the ATM, this saves them time banking and saves the bank paying G4S to install cash into the ATM), they have access to the ATM and can therefore return your card - most won't though and prefer to send them back to the issuing bank.

Old 31 August 2008, 11:39 AM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had all of the above problems while living in the UK
I have never had a problem with ATM's or even vending machines (which are a way of life) while in Japan
Is it another area that we are pretty average in?
Old 31 August 2008, 04:13 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanley
If your card is retained it's placed in a holding tray just behind the card reader, this frees up the card reader for the next transaction.

If the ATM is a store i.e. Co-op and it's a Merchant fill (rather than bank takings from the tills they put it into the ATM, this saves them time banking and saves the bank paying G4S to install cash into the ATM), they have access to the ATM and can therefore return your card - most won't though and prefer to send them back to the issuing bank.

Not quite, the branches cannot just put money from tills in to ATM,s. All cash in an ATM is either new or needs to be garbled. This Garbling checks the condition of the note to make sure it won't jam the machine up (also checks for fake notes etc.).

Garbling takes place in cash centres which is just a hub for distributing cash.
Old 31 August 2008, 08:10 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattN
Not quite, the branches cannot just put money from tills in to ATM,s. All cash in an ATM is either new or needs to be garbled. This Garbling checks the condition of the note to make sure it won't jam the machine up (also checks for fake notes etc.).

Garbling takes place in cash centres which is just a hub for distributing cash.
I'm afraid you're wrong.

We have over 500 merchant fill ATMs where the retailer is responsible for replenishing the ATM with money from his own tills.

It's part of the deal with the bank.

Old 31 August 2008, 08:13 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

What is Self Fill?
Self-fill means that the you put the cash in the machine yourself. So there are no regular filling fees to pay, and you can recycle cash from your cash registers to cut down on bank fees.

What is the opposite to Self Fill?
That’s when a Cash In Transit carrier comes to your site with the cash and loads the ATM with the cash required. Under that system the site owner will not earn any significant income from the ATM’s performance and just the benefit of the extra footfall.
And of course have an ATM on site with a very significant amount of cash in it – as opposed to the relatively low amount used in the Self Fill method where the ATM is “topped up” as needed.
Old 01 September 2008, 10:38 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Sods took all my direct debits out on Saturday (theyre not due out til today) so my account appeared to be empty. I was scared sh!tless wondering where my money had gone cause online banking said nothing had come out of my account in the last few days. So I didnt have a clue what had happened and had no way of putting any dosh in today to cover the direct debits. *******!!!!!
Old 01 September 2008, 12:33 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Well it was 10 years ago I worked in the bank - things must change after all!