Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Indicators ?

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2008, 09:00 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Indicators ?

Have been doing more driving than usual the last few days and have been astounded at the numer of people who fail to indicate, mainly on the motorway, doing 70, 80, 90 mph and simply move lanes !

Why is it so tasking to flip the thing next to the steering wheel and the annoying thing is if the move into your lane and you hit them they will swear blind they indicated.

Then you get those that fail to cancel, we all do it occasionally but I came home to me how dangerous this is today when pulling onto an A road, an Audi Q7 was bearing down on me but indicating a left turn, I decided not to go as I dont trust anyone now, since riding the bike and sure enough 50 mph strait past, oblivious, Its ok, I forgive him as at the next lights I saw he was making an important call on his mobile.

And for the record, I have to say, it isnt generally BMW drivers that dont indicate.
Old 28 August 2008, 09:04 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i drive alot in my job and i see it all the time 9/10 people who dont cancel are on the phone!!

Nothing worse then Lane hoggers haha
Old 28 August 2008, 09:05 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

walking a lot, You tend to notice more what drivers are doing, or not doing more than if you in the car. Indicators seem like hard work for some people, especially those using roundabouts. Seems some cant concentrate on two things at one, roundabout and indicate, No!

and dont get me started on mobile phone use when driving!
Old 28 August 2008, 09:07 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mykp
and dont get me started on mobile phone use when driving!
Tell me about it. Pain in the **** when you've got to change gear when having a chat
Old 28 August 2008, 09:16 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I blew my horn at a girl (oo er) who was on the phone, no indicator, went from the left lane across me, I blew it to let her know I was there, she had to juggle her phone, steering and gears to flick me the bird,

The mobile use whilst driving is one new rule that I wholeheartedly approve of.

The only time I do it, is if stuck in a lengthy traffic jam, not moving, I apply common sense and ackknowledge the fact that I am not smart or dextrous enough to operate a tonne and a half of motor vehicle and operate a small fiddly electronic device.

I saw a guy pulling out of the Three Sisters racing circuit yesterday, on the phone, I cannot see why he couldnt make the call when stationary, he was towing a car on a trailer as well.
Old 28 August 2008, 09:23 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

if your phone is soooooo important, buy a hands free kit! £10 for a blue tooth one or a fine and points.

Your choice!
Old 28 August 2008, 09:25 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

if your phone is soooooo important, buy a hands free kit! £10 for a blue tooth one or a fine and points.

Your choice!
Or drive an auto - much easier.
Old 28 August 2008, 09:40 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
Or drive an auto - much easier.
Is it me or is FP attempting some mild trolling ?
Old 28 August 2008, 09:43 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Is it me or is FP attempting some mild trolling ?

Me? No - I'm bored.
Old 28 August 2008, 10:26 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

Your choice!
But have you tried texting on a hands-free?
Old 29 August 2008, 11:38 AM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Indicating at the last minute is also annoying. For instance you are waiting to turn out of a junction, a car approaches from your right at a speed/distance unsafe for you to pull out.. You wait 'til the vehicle passes and suddenly they indicate to turn up the road you are waiting to pull out of

Also the idiots who begin changing lanes on dual carriageways/motorways then signal "whilst" executing the manoeuvre. Usually women! Like they are probably thinking "phew, almost forgot to indicate! Still at least I've done it now so I'll be ok".

Last edited by skoobidude; 29 August 2008 at 11:41 AM.
Old 29 August 2008, 11:48 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

I don't always indicate when changing lanes on the motorway, if there is enough space for me to safely move over then I don't see it as a problem.

Do tend to use them if someone is dallying around in my blind spot, overtaking at 1 mph faster than I'm going, and I'm coming up on a slow vehicle. Tends to wake them up a bit if they think I'm about to pull out on them so the stick their foot down and complete their overtaking manoeuvre.
Old 29 August 2008, 12:08 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
I don't always indicate when changing lanes on the motorway, if there is enough space for me to safely move over then I don't see it as a problem.

Do tend to use them if someone is dallying around in my blind spot, overtaking at 1 mph faster than I'm going, and I'm coming up on a slow vehicle. Tends to wake them up a bit if they think I'm about to pull out on them so the stick their foot down and complete their overtaking manoeuvre.
Thats probably Bluebalster doing 55mph in his deisel Civic again
Old 29 August 2008, 01:05 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is unecessary to have to signal every time you change lanes, but you really have to be aware of what is going on around you before you do change. It those who just make an assumption when changing who are really dangerous.

I fully agree about the danger of using a phone. I used to have a ham radio in the car and used to talk to others with a hand microphone. I decided eventually that even that was a distraction and have not had a radio in the car since. Obviously talking on the phone is not as bad as dialing or especially texting,but still bad enough. Anyone getting caught for that deserves all that they get for it.

Les
Old 29 August 2008, 01:24 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
It is unecessary to have to signal every time you change lanes, but you really have to be aware of what is going on around you before you do change. It those who just make an assumption when changing who are really dangerous.

I fully agree about the danger of using a phone. I used to have a ham radio in the car and used to talk to others with a hand microphone. I decided eventually that even that was a distraction and have not had a radio in the car since. Obviously talking on the phone is not as bad as dialing or especially texting,but still bad enough. Anyone getting caught for that deserves all that they get for it.

Les

Could it be???
Old 29 August 2008, 01:49 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Could it be???
Nein gut buddy!

Les
Old 29 August 2008, 01:57 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

If there's no-one in front or behind that will "benefit" from knowing you are changing lanes, then there's no point in using the indicator.

Likewise, turning the indicator on "as" you change lanes is pointless, it's supposed to warn people that you are about to do something... if you are already moving lanes then don't bother!
Old 29 August 2008, 02:00 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

It winds me up when I'm sat at a junction on my bike wanting to pull out onto the road (turning right) and there's a huge gap one way but a car coming on your side that doesn't indicate and then turns left.

ARGH!

Bloody inconsiderate little toe-rag! It's even worse when at this point a huge queue of traffic comes the other way stuck behind a lorry.

Now who can guess when this happened?
Old 29 August 2008, 02:40 PM
worley
Scooby Regular

Living in France, 80% of road users do not use their indicators, I've lost the will to be concerned.

Except, the other day pulling out of a junction, a car coming from the left with his indicator ON and edging to the right (as if turning right), corrected at the last moment and carried straight on at 90 kph (he was on the phone). During this time, my colleague next to me asked why I wasn't moving out!!! He didn't say a word until we got to our destination.
Old 29 August 2008, 03:38 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger

I agree.

I hate it when a middle lane moron slowly draws along side you and refuses to move into a clear "fast" lane so that you can overtake a HGV. When I see such a charlie coming up, I tend to floor it to get in front of him and then pull back in front of the HGV to watch him saunter up the middle lane on the clear motorway for the next two miles, oblivious to their surroundings.

Steve
Old 29 August 2008, 04:02 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I remember my driving instructor telling me that if you HAVE to indicate to change lanes on a motorway you shouldn't (change lanes)

that comment always stuck with me, and I always try to leave a big gap betwen me and any car in the lane I want to be in
Old 29 August 2008, 06:35 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

The rule of thumb needs to be that if your manouvre might affect anyone you can or cannot see then you should indicate...
There are times where on a quiet motorway it's OK not to indicate to change lanes for sure.

The thing is Jacko is right, more and more lazy scumtards are not indicating when turning, changing lanes, going round roundabouts etc...
I was on the horn and full beams twice yesterday at 2 different scumtards who turned left into side roads without indicating when I was following them.

A lot of drivers dont consider cyclists or pedestrians when it comes to using indicators too...

Make sure you let any driver who doesnt indicate know you are affected by their poor driver skillages. Question their personal habits with a friendly hand gesture, honk the horn, flash your lights... Do the same when you see a scumtard holding a phone when driving. Between us WE can police the world... Join me... Come join me. Together we will right these wrongs...
Old 29 August 2008, 07:33 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Thing is most drivers are so oblivious to what they are doing wrong, flashing lights, making gestures or blowing horns makes no difference.

What would work is if I decided to get a full external roll cage fitted on my Series Land Rover and use it everyday, then don't bother taking avoiding action everytime someone pulls out, cuts me up, can't use lane disaplin on multi-lane roundabouts, or playing "chicken" by going round parked cars with on comming traffic (Nivara pickups and mumsys in Freelanders are the worst for this)....I'll just shove them out the way! Think I'll need to wear a neck brace and helmet as well though...don't think I could stand the whiplash

Death Proof (BTW awful film, don't watch it )

Last edited by Shark Man; 29 August 2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 29 August 2008, 08:46 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Abdabz
Make sure you let any driver who doesnt indicate know you are affected by their poor driver skillages. Question their personal habits with a friendly hand gesture, honk the horn, flash your lights... Do the same when you see a scumtard holding a phone when driving. Between us WE can police the world... Join me... Come join me. Together we will right these wrongs...

Remember folks - in these circumstances, you maintain eye contact, appear friendly and non-threatening.... and back away.... very... slowly....

Old 31 August 2008, 11:28 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
I remember my driving instructor telling me that if you HAVE to indicate to change lanes on a motorway you shouldn't (change lanes)

that comment always stuck with me, and I always try to leave a big gap betwen me and any car in the lane I want to be in
Thats all good sense.

Les
Old 31 August 2008, 11:38 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

The terminology in this thread is all wrong. You are referring to a now redundant part of motor vehicles that was known as indicators.

These have now been replaced with Im-coming-out-anators. They have exactly the same operation but the user having flicked on his imcomingoutanator now believes he has the god given right to manoeuvre wherever he desires with almost no notice and into the smallest of spaces in the most abrupt of manners.

Indicators are so irrelevant in this day and age that we might as well do away with them and make it a free-for-all as that's how 99% of people drive anyway. They don't indicate anything - they are just another way of saying, "look out, here I come, there's NOTHING you can do about it"
Old 31 August 2008, 11:40 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

yesterday whilst driving down the motorway at 50mph(i'm on R plates and have only been driving for over 2months) i indicated to move into the correct lane and moved in (full mirror signal manoveur jobbie) but whilst doing it someone who was defo doing over the speed limit moved into the lane i was going into without indicator and almost smashed into the back of me. At the time I waved in apology due to the fact that I have to go slower than most on the motorway.

But he decided to over take me at breakneck speeds and flip me the bird, when he did this i noticed that the back of his car had been hit and most of the panels on his car looked a bit wrecked and I really did wonder why i apologised.

Was i in the wrong?
Old 31 August 2008, 11:44 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BigJay
yesterday whilst driving down the motorway at 50mph(i'm on R plates and have only been driving for over 2months) i indicated to move into the correct lane and moved in (full mirror signal manoveur jobbie) but whilst doing it someone who was defo doing over the speed limit moved into the lane i was going into without indicator and almost smashed into the back of me. At the time I waved in apology due to the fact that I have to go slower than most on the motorway.

But he decided to over take me at breakneck speeds and flip me the bird, when he did this i noticed that the back of his car had been hit and most of the panels on his car looked a bit wrecked and I really did wonder why i apologised.

Was i in the wrong?
How come you can only do 50mph on the motorway?

Have the laws passed since i passed back in March 06? I was stright on the motorway in my scoob burning around at around 70...
Old 31 August 2008, 11:54 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Dangerous IMO. Most motor accidents are caused by DIFFERENCE in speed moreso than the actual speed.

Its bad enough with trucks restricted to 56mph and cars doing 70mph. 20+mph difference is too great.

I use the same logic to bikers filtering faster than a slow jogging pace (i.e more than 6mph faster than surrounding traffic) in traffic jams in urban areas - a passenger door opens, or a bonnet pokes out of a side junction/drive entrance. Blam! - they barely have time to see or react yet alone stop.
Old 31 August 2008, 12:25 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

not entirely relevant to the numpties that just don't bother using an indicator, but does anyone find it easier when the indicator stalk is on the right? apart from on motorways most of my overtaking doesn't come with an indication as my left hand is too busy changing down

Quick Reply: Indicators ?