Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I get a little luck earlier, then my car conks out!

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2008, 08:33 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I get a little luck earlier, then my car conks out!

What a p.i.t.a.

Was in a good mood earlier after findoing out I'm finally getting my sick pay from work, all £1700 of it, so I decides to wash the car for a meet I was planning on going to tonight.

Only after washing the car, I tried to start it while in gear. It clunked forward as it should then died. "What a fanny" I said to myself. So tried to start her again, and nothing.

First thought it was the immobilizer being ghey, so reset that. Then tried the battery to see if it needed a charge via next door neighbours Kia nope, fine, all electrics work.

Had the steering surround off to check electrics. All seemed well with relays etc clicking away when attempting to start.

Checked fuel pump and thats clicking away too. Proper stumped, so think it's going to a local garage I know tomorrow via a trailer

Think it's an electrical wire somewhere or maybe even the starter totally giving up the goose, as before when it was dicky it would whine for a bit then the engine would start. Now it seems it's not even getting that far and all I can hear is the fuel pump whining from the rear seat.

Bugger.
Old 28 August 2008, 08:41 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

PSA cars have a battery connector that can be shaken loose in a circumstance such as that. Id never heard of it before, but the AA man went straight to it. This was a good while ago on a car only a little newer than yours, so Id say it was likely. Follow the positive leads from the terminal. Its not new enough to have a fuel cut out, is it?
Old 28 August 2008, 08:42 PM
badgerface123
Scooby Regular

Location: deepest darkest dorset ripping up the A30 in a red V5
Arrow

205 gti's do eat starter motors had a couple 1.6 both needed starters and so did a friends 1.9
Old 28 August 2008, 08:49 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

try a bump start if it starts, its either battery, alternator, or starter motor

if not, its something else

Mart
Old 28 August 2008, 08:53 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I'm getting it to a garage, as electrics are really not my thing. My neighbour had to stop me wiring the battery back up wrong earlier, I didn't have a clue.
Simon, I don't know about fuel cut, as the Pug is a phase 1.5 so an in-betweeny.

Mart, the battery is ok, as all electrics work, tried the lights, no dimming etc.

Pretty sure a wire has come loose or the motor/alternator has given up.

Some of you may remember I have been having difficulty starting the Pug (after being stood for a few hours) for a little while now.
Old 28 August 2008, 11:03 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Kin'ell Choc,

stick it in second gear, and rock the engine over, may "un-stick" the starter motor....

HTH

DunxC

P.S. Doesn't need ignition on, then into neutral and try the starter.
Old 28 August 2008, 11:06 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Kin'ell Choc,

stick it in second gear, and rock the engine over, may "un-stick" the starter motor....

HTH

DunxC

P.S. Doesn't need ignition on, then into neutral and try the starter.
Tried that earlier too Duncan mate. Before the atarter used to whine. A few turns of the key and she would pop into life, now theres nothing, not even a whine or anything from the starter. It may be best for my garage to have a good luck for any knackered wiring or signs of future cost. Just glad I can afford to fix it.
Old 28 August 2008, 11:09 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tough break Andy, good news about the cash though!!!

I walked out of my job today..... god knows what i'm gonna do now, but fear not, the money for the drawing is very safe...LOL!!! hows it going..??
Old 28 August 2008, 11:10 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Chocs, you are a walking disaster area at the moment

Great news about the payout though, and about flaming time too.
Old 28 August 2008, 11:16 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RON
Tough break Andy, good news about the cash though!!!

I walked out of my job today..... god knows what i'm gonna do now, but fear not, the money for the drawing is very safe...LOL!!! hows it going..??

Now I'm in a better frame of mind, I'll start clugging alone on it again, as my waiting list is turning into an angry mob.
Old 29 August 2008, 12:30 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope it's nothing serious mate and you get it sorted out soon and it's nothing expensive
Old 29 August 2008, 12:59 AM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

CoB - Snazy... Related per chance?

Hope you sort it CoB, be sure to let us know how you get on.
Old 29 August 2008, 11:50 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Just had the local garage get back in touch (only local guy I trust on the Pug), and as per usual, he's flat out. So may not be able to even look at the car until Tuesday time. Bugger

I don't mind waiting, but it's a big inconvenience as Nat will struggle to get to work (no buses etc) in the morning.

I'll buy her a push bike, she's been moaning for ages

Anyone got a runaround I can steal for a week? From explaining to Mel (mechanic), it seems when I attempted to start in gear, the judder may have finally killed the dicky starter motor. But obviously thats an assumption, and he needs to see it first.
Poo
Old 29 August 2008, 12:31 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Have you tried proper bump starting it yet? Have a chat with you neighbours, they'd love a team building exercise. Help to push Andy's car .

J.
Old 29 August 2008, 12:50 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It still could be the starter pinion stuck in mesh so worth a bit more rocking, or just a push backwards in top gear might do it-you would hear it click as it comes out. The starter may have died of course with the extra load on it by trying to start in gear, or it could even be a bad batttery connection which may need a clean up with a wire brush.

Trying to bump start it with the starter pinion in mesh would be very bad for a lot of things on the car, since the engine would be locked up.

Les
Old 29 August 2008, 12:54 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

I'd push it. If it starts then i would say starter motor ok and you can bag another one cheap before your bloke fits it.

5t.
Old 29 August 2008, 01:06 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I may go try pushing it forwards and backwards in 5th, see if it makes a difference, but if it does require a new starter motor, I think considering winter will be here soonish, I'm gonna go for a new one. I've heard these can be tricky on cold mornings, so not taking any chances.

But remembering it could be something else thats bust, Mel only gave an assumption over the phone.

Shall wait and see, but I'll try the rocking.

Ok tried the rocking, but there is no noise coming from the starter at all. No spark, no coughing nothing. All I'm getting is a clicking noise from the fuel pump, which you can hear is trying to pump fuel somewhere, a clicking from the relay attached to the ecu, and clicking from the several relays on the fuse box (in the glove compartment).

I'm absolutely stumped now, as I am the worst electrician in the world, and car electricals scare the sh*t out of me.

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 29 August 2008 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Did a couple of tests
Old 29 August 2008, 01:55 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a bad connection in the starter solenoid but always difficult to say when you are not on the spot. It could also be the starter motor burned out.

Les
Old 29 August 2008, 02:17 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Going on what you've said i would suggest bump start. Can't really seeing it being anything more than a stater motor.

As long as you park on a hill the next few days you'll still be able to drive about too!

5t.
Old 29 August 2008, 04:12 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

The brushes are probably worn out in the starter motor fella. The jolt probably just took of what was left. You can take it apart and get new ones from your local motor factor. But, for the age of the car and as you say, winter is on its way, you may aswell replace it. Very easy to do yourself.
Old 29 August 2008, 04:19 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
The brushes are probably worn out in the starter motor fella. The jolt probably just took of what was left. You can take it apart and get new ones from your local motor factor. But, for the age of the car and as you say, winter is on its way, you may aswell replace it. Very easy to do yourself.
Brushes and a rebuild is likely to be the cheapest option. Though the commutator will also be worn. Depends really on the type of brushes, are they bolted or are they soldered?
Old 29 August 2008, 07:31 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I mentioned a fuel cut in passing: what I was really telling you about was the connector that gets pulled free.
Old 29 August 2008, 08:24 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

CoB, do you have a multi meter? If so it's a straight forward diagnosis... I don't mind going through it...

Old 29 August 2008, 09:56 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB.T
CoB, do you have a multi meter? If so it's a straight forward diagnosis... I don't mind going through it...

I don't know what your on about
Old 30 August 2008, 11:08 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I hope you will tell us the real fault when it eventually gets diagnosed Chocolate.

Les
Old 30 August 2008, 11:35 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I hope you will tell us the real fault when it eventually gets diagnosed Chocolate.

Les
Aye, will do. Knowing me it will be something so trivial, it's not worth mentioning, or something so serious, it goes straight to the crusher

Andy does't have in-betweeny luck, it's good or terrible.
Old 02 September 2008, 02:10 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Gonna bump this, as the Pug has just beenm collected by Mel on his works trailer. We managed to bump start her on the drive, so its definatley the starter motor thats gone doolally. Hopefully looking at about £120 which includes collection of car, starter motor itself and fitting. Probably ready by 5.30 this afternoon, which will be good, as I have my appeal tomorrow morning regards my dismissal from work. This will be something less to think about.

Hopefully too, mel will look at the play in the steering rack, and the tracking which feels out too. A few quid in his back burner one Saturday morning will suffice I think
Old 02 September 2008, 02:21 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
What a p.i.t.a.

Was in a good mood earlier after findoing out I'm finally getting my sick pay from work, all £1700 of it, so I decides to wash the car for a meet I was planning on going to tonight.

Only after washing the car, I tried to start it while in gear. It clunked forward as it should then died. "What a fanny" I said to myself. So tried to start her again, and nothing.

First thought it was the immobilizer being ghey, so reset that. Then tried the battery to see if it needed a charge via next door neighbours Kia nope, fine, all electrics work.

Had the steering surround off to check electrics. All seemed well with relays etc clicking away when attempting to start.

Checked fuel pump and thats clicking away too. Proper stumped, so think it's going to a local garage I know tomorrow via a trailer

Think it's an electrical wire somewhere or maybe even the starter totally giving up the goose, as before when it was dicky it would whine for a bit then the engine would start. Now it seems it's not even getting that far and all I can hear is the fuel pump whining from the rear seat.

Bugger.
Andy.

Hope this cheers you up a bit!

ns04
Old 02 September 2008, 02:39 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Andy.

Hope this cheers you up a bit!

ns04