Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Password security.

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2008, 12:48 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Password security.

Lloyds telephone banking employee chenges user's password.

BBC NEWS | England | Shropshire | Man's 'pants' password is changed

I wouldn't expect all the passwords to be 'written down' in a form that enabled someone to change it without checks.

The scope for an employee to find a seldom used account and then change the password for their own use seems large. The fact this change occurred is more of a story to me than the details of the specific change that occurred.
Old 28 August 2008, 12:59 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Did that actually say that he could not have a password of more than 6 characters?????

Good God. Why don't they just leave the damn account wide open... shocking security
Old 28 August 2008, 01:40 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

There is no reason what-so-ever for an administrator to be able to read what a user's password is. Even when it's used as a phone challenge, they should only be asked to say what letters correspond to a couple of random positions in that password.
Old 28 August 2008, 02:00 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Thats absolutly shocking, if I banked with them I would be considering changing accounts NOW !
Old 28 August 2008, 03:20 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

one online password at a company i used to work for was 4n4153x but in characters rather than a mixture of numbers and characters! the theme was continued every time it changed...
Old 28 August 2008, 03:38 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I think the article is misleading a little (journo not done his research most likely).

With online banking, you get a password, this is encrpyted and only known buy you and the code.
You also get a security password. You are asked, when logging in (after entering normal password) to select 3 letters from the 2nd password. i.e. 2nd, 5th and 8th letters.

To log on, you need to know BOTH passwords. Possible that employee (aren't they mostly "temps" when these things happen ) may know one of the passwords but very unlikely able to find out both.

There's also possibly a security question/answer set-up too. i.e. mothers maiden name, pets name, place of birth, your own question etc. May be used in telephone banking, I don't know.

Anyway, these sort of ill researched stories are great for overreactions like this:
Originally Posted by Snazy
Thats absolutly shocking, if I banked with them I would be considering changing accounts NOW !
Old 28 August 2008, 03:45 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Also, I notice that the article is about telephone banking where you must provide security information (how else can the staff verify that it is you?)

Lloyds, validly say:
"In this case it was a business banking customer using a system where more than one person from a business can check their balance.

"In these cases an advisor can read the full password.

"But if such customers require more complex transactions, then full security procedures apply and advisors cannot read secure information."

i.e. nothing to see here, all a storm in a teacup. The only story is Lloyds being silly as the customer wants an equally silly password. Let him keep it is the simple solution although now we ALL know his password so he shouldn't really LOL
Old 28 August 2008, 03:47 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dracoro
I think the article is misleading a little (journo not done his research most likely).

With online banking, you get a password, this is encrpyted and only known buy you and the code.
You also get a security password. You are asked, when logging in (after entering normal password) to select 3 letters from the 2nd password. i.e. 2nd, 5th and 8th letters.

To log on, you need to know BOTH passwords. Possible that employee (aren't they mostly "temps" when these things happen ) may know one of the passwords but very unlikely able to find out both.

There's also possibly a security question/answer set-up too. i.e. mothers maiden name, pets name, place of birth, your own question etc. May be used in telephone banking, I don't know.

Anyway, these sort of ill researched stories are great for overreactions like this:

If you read it, it talks about a multiple user business account. The password will therefore be very low level security. It also goes on to state that the customer's biggest complaint was not any security breach, but the fact that he couldn't change it to something like "Barclays is better"
Old 28 August 2008, 03:55 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Yup, as per my 2nd post.

However, people will always over-react without thinking (maybe they can't ).

I think I might make sure I cross the high street before I pass Lloyds as security I hear is awful and I wouldn't want to be killed to death by a terrorist.
Old 28 August 2008, 04:33 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol I dont remember saying I was shocked by the lack of security and the blatent breach, and i would move my account based on not feeling secure.

I would move it if my account got pissed about with, end of, regardless of security issues.
Have never had issues of any sort with my bank, and any supplier of any service that does mess about, I will usually change from

So not an over reaction but sticking to my guns and my principals
Old 28 August 2008, 05:49 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Fair do's.

I had someone pinching money from my account twice.

Both times, Lloyds sorted it out asap and refunded the stolen money very promptly. I know other banks are much more of a pain in this respect, accusing customers of giving away their cards/pins etc.....
Old 28 August 2008, 07:17 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
Fair do's.

I had someone pinching money from my account twice.

Both times, Lloyds sorted it out asap and refunded the stolen money very promptly. I know other banks are much more of a pain in this respect, accusing customers of giving away their cards/pins etc.....
Fair play mate, I guess any large company out there has a large loyal happy following, to be the size they are. But im one that believes if a company messes me about, regardless of how many years I have been with them, im off.

Thankfully I am yet to be the victim of theft from my account, glad yours was sorted problem free though.