Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

another sick leave question.

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2008, 10:16 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another sick leave question.

I'm on sick leave atm with a spinal injury. My doctor promptly referred me to an orthopedic surgeon, but didnt sign me off.
My chiropractor on the other hand had sense of humour failure at this and signed me off for the week.
Question is, can a chiropractor sign you off or does it have to be your GP? the man is fully qualified and I have a pretty authentic looking sick note from him, but work are kicking up a fuss about it not being from my GP. Can I tell them to get knotted and get what they're given?
any help would be appreciated.
astraboy.
Old 14 August 2008, 10:32 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

I would say it depends on your company policy whether they would accept it but I am sure you would need to see a GP for a sick certificate...? is there anything in your contract??
Old 14 August 2008, 10:42 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about this. I'm on the sick at the moment, and my first sicknote was given to me by my surgeon, not my GP. I would have thought, so long as you had a sicknote, by someone legally allowed to give them, it wouldn't matter that it wasn't your actual GP.
Old 15 August 2008, 08:27 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

As long as you have notes covering the period you have off you should be ok. Likewise I'm off at the moment, first note was signed I think by the nurse that discharged me and the current note signed by my surgeon (silly old sod didn't date it though so I have a one month sick note with no start or end date!)

Just keep your employer in the loop so they know what's going on and they should be on side if they are half decent.

Best of luck with your recovery!
Old 15 August 2008, 08:49 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

IIRC you need no formal medical training to become a Chiropracter (much like a homeopath, you don't need to be an MD) you just have to be a member of the General Chiropractic Council (GCC). You don't need to be in the GMC.

As such, I would have thought it has about as much validity as your mate signing you off sick.

Last edited by OllyK; 15 August 2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old 15 August 2008, 08:52 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
As long as you have notes covering the period you have off you should be ok. Likewise I'm off at the moment, first note was signed I think by the nurse that discharged me and the current note signed by my surgeon (silly old sod didn't date it though so I have a one month sick note with no start or end date!)

Just keep your employer in the loop so they know what's going on and they should be on side if they are half decent.

Best of luck with your recovery!
A hospital nurse can sign your sick note, a nurse practitioner at your GPs cannot - Government abandons its promise to permit nurses to write sick notes - Healthcare Republic News
Old 15 August 2008, 09:29 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

cheers guys, although you dont need any qualifications this guy has one or two: A D.C Doctor of Chiropractic, a MSc(Hons) in Chiropractic BSc(Hons) in Human Sciences and a Lic Ac in Acupuncture. i dont even know what the last one is!
I'll call HR today and see what they say. Its down to them afterall!
astraboy.
Old 15 August 2008, 09:39 AM
Lisawrx

Astraboy, that'll be your best bet, then you'll know for sure, and cover yourself accordingly.

My work has been funny with me since before I went in for my operation, even though I let them know what was going on every step of the way. Unless the doctor, who I am going to see today, keeps me off for longer, it looks like I'm going back to work tomorrow. Not too much of a bad thing, but from my conversation yesterday with my boss, it seems I will be expected to do more or less my normal job again, which I can't, hence why I've been off so long up to now, for a pretty tiny operation.
Old 15 August 2008, 12:27 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Stop shirking and just get back to work ................

Seriously I hope your back is soon a little bit better, but be wary about returning too quickly.
Old 15 August 2008, 01:51 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

cheers, its more a neck injury than back, but seeing as the GP was a little miffed that work had the gaul to question the judgement of a qualified medical practitioner, he promptly signed me off for the time my chiro did, plus another 5 days to make sure I heal properly.
astraboy.
Old 15 August 2008, 03:58 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Having it large Rhod?