Caged Rodents

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2008, 11:58 AM
harry flatters
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caged Rodents

So not to be accused of trolling the scoobynet pets thread:

What benefit is there from keeping caged hamsters and gerbils, in fact any rodent for that matter. They spend their short lifes caged in a tiny area (or rolling round in a plastic ball) until they eventually die.

They don't "interact" with their owners and generally hide away all day or run for hours on a wheel in their cell, I mean cage. Typically introducing a partner ends in almost certain death would these small rodents be better living their lives in their natural habitat, doing what they do best?

It's strange when you think that people have a desire to cage these animals for thye entire duration of their natural (and short), yet also claim to love them.
Old 12 August 2008, 12:00 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harry flatters

What benefit is there from keeping caged hamsters and gerbils, in fact any rodent for that matter. They spend their short lifes caged in a tiny area (or rolling round in a plastic ball) until they eventually die.

They don't "interact" with their owners and generally hide away all day or run for hours on a wheel in their cell, I mean cage. Typically introducing a partner ends in almost certain death would these small rodents be better living their lives in their natural habitat, doing what they do best?

It's strange when you think that people have a desire to cage these animals for thye entire duration of their natural (and short), yet also claim to love them.

your bored arent you?

saw my post and thought...

Old 12 August 2008, 12:01 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Old 12 August 2008, 12:05 PM
harry flatters
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
your bored arent you?

saw my post and thought...

Not at all, that's why I clearly had the caveat about not posting in that thread, did you not understand it?

I thought it was quite clear, I guess it wasn't clear enough.
Old 12 August 2008, 12:07 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

My sister had a hamster when she was in her early teens and it was only when she noticed a funny smell that she realised it had been dead for about a week, we suspect that she forgot to feed it, poor little thing
Old 12 August 2008, 12:11 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Not at all, that's why I clearly had the caveat about not posting in that thread, did you not understand it?

I thought it was quite clear, I guess it wasn't clear enough.
quiote probably not, you do know the general intelligence of the average scoobynetter has recently diminished
Old 12 August 2008, 12:13 PM
harry flatters
Scooby Regular

quiote probably not, you do know the general intelligence of the average scoobynetter has recently diminished
By the recent infractions being given out I'd have to agree, wouldn't you
Old 12 August 2008, 12:15 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are genuinely serious here, I guess it's a matter of each to their own. I have known people who have kept rodents, who claim they are sociable creatures. In fairness, I'm no expert on rodents, but mice and rats excluded, I don't know how well other types would survive in the wild.

I would imagine those who keep them, would claim that they are well looked after, albeit caged for the life span they have. I mean they are fed, watered, kept warm, often have funky stuff to play on. Maybe if we could talk to animals, they would tell us they are very happy in that environment for their short lives, who knows. Plus, considering the size of them, and the fact most cages are quite good these days, it's a fair size area for them.

Is it any worse to domesticate these animals, regardless of where they live their life, than any other animal we've done it with?
Old 12 August 2008, 12:20 PM
harry flatters
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
If you are genuinely serious here, I guess it's a matter of each to their own. I have known people who have kept rodents, who claim they are sociable creatures. In fairness, I'm no expert on rodents, but mice and rats excluded, I don't know how well other types would survive in the wild.

I would imagine those who keep them, would claim that they are well looked after, albeit caged for the life span they have. I mean they are fed, watered, kept warm, often have funky stuff to play on. Maybe if we could talk to animals, they would tell us they are very happy in that environment for their short lives, who knows. Plus, considering the size of them, and the fact most cages are quite good these days, it's a fair size area for them.

Is it any worse to domesticate these animals, regardless of where they live their life, than any other animal we've done it with?
Yes I am serious

It struck me as wierd that's all, we consider feeding and watering as sufficient reason to cage an animal for the rest of it's natural life, and keep it isolated from it's own kind.

However we do not allow zoo's to do the same, even with rodents. It (one the face of things) seems wrong, are we saying that rodents have no right to life?
Old 12 August 2008, 12:26 PM
Lisawrx

Yes I am serious

It struck me as wierd that's all, we consider feeding and watering as sufficient reason to cage an animal for the rest of it's natural life, and keep it isolated from it's own kind.

However we do not allow zoo's to do the same, even with rodents. It (one the face of things) seems wrong, are we saying that rodents have no right to life?
I can get where you are coming from, but what's to say they aren't happy, and aren't having a decent life.

In fairness, if we say it's unfair to keep rodents away from their own kind, then what about cats and dogs etc.? We have domesticated them and many people just have one of these animals as pets, thus isolating them.
Old 12 August 2008, 12:32 PM
harry flatters
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
I can get where you are coming from, but what's to say they aren't happy, and aren't having a decent life.

In fairness, if we say it's unfair to keep rodents away from their own kind, then what about cats and dogs etc.? We have domesticated them and many people just have one of these animals as pets, thus isolating them.
You can never domesticate a cat , if they don't want to be around their feet do the walking, and they also interact with their own kind while away from the house.

As with dogs, they bond with the human and form a pack mentality so they have that interaction and are seldom isolated, you would never cage a dog as it would go insane in a matter of weeks.

So what makes it acceptable for rodents?
Old 12 August 2008, 12:34 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Do you protest outside power stations by any chance?
Old 12 August 2008, 12:37 PM
harry flatters
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Do you protest outside power stations by any chance?
Thanks for your input, now if you can't add anything to this thread feel free to run along and add value elsewhere.
Old 12 August 2008, 12:38 PM
Lisawrx

You can never domesticate a cat , if they don't want to be around their feet do the walking, and they also interact with their own kind while away from the house.

As with dogs, they bond with the human and form a pack mentality so they have that interaction and are seldom isolated, you would never cage a dog as it would go insane in a matter of weeks.

So what makes it acceptable for rodents?
Truthfully, I don't have an answer to that, having never personally kept a rodent, and I doubt I ever would. I guess we really need a response from someone who has one.

How about snakes, reptiles etc, is keeping them cruel as well?

I understand what you are saying about cats, but I would imagine there are people out there, who don't allow their cats to go out, is this a cruel owner, as then that cat would not have an opportunity to interact with other cats?

I'm genuinely curious as to your thoughts.
Old 12 August 2008, 12:40 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

They are their to teach kids about responsibility and mortality, spend 40 quid on cage, food, bedding, toys and a small biting rodent of your choice, leave it to its young owner and their lack of responsibility soon results in the realisation of the mortality of small rodents, for another 7 quid you can repeat until they get the message.

They are a bit of fun for kids, and some genuinely do love them to bits (sometimes litterally), not sure what its like for the rodent in question but they arent the most intellectual creatures and sleep a lot, remember life aint a picnic in the wild when you are small prey animal so you choice is two years of boredon in a caged either ignored and dragged out every five minutes or however long you last before you become lunch for something bigger.

We had a Hamster a couple of years back, the kids werent arsed after a while, and the f*cker got out and munched £400 quids worth of carpet, so if it was unhappy it got its revenge. The kids showed some interest and me and the wife dilligently looked after it, every week cleaning 20 miles of assorted rotostac (the missus started buying it off Fleabay) then it went all crusty, then lumpy, then died. The kitchen certainly smelt better !
Old 12 August 2008, 12:44 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Cruel. As is caging birds, which I'd say is worse.

I really don't see the point in having an animal locked up where it must go at least a bit crazy.
Old 12 August 2008, 12:48 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your input, now if you can't add anything to this thread feel free to run along and add value elsewhere.
No, because what you are actually asking is 'shoud we have pets at all?'

We, as people are not 'free'. We are born into a society with rules. What's the difference between that and a hamster in a cage? (which is more like a mansion when you consider the size of my late 'charlie' and her palace!

We let her run around in our living room most days, either on her own or in her ball. She loved being held and played with, plus we used to spoil her rotten with treats.

The same now applies to our cat, murphy.

So, do I have any hang-ups about keeping pets, no. Ok?
Old 12 August 2008, 12:48 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I think, definition, anything that has to be "caged" in the home, is questionable from an ethical point of view.

(Fish tanks excluded)
Old 12 August 2008, 12:57 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Such a typical PSLewis retort
Old 12 August 2008, 12:58 PM
harry flatters
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
I think, definition, anything that has to be "caged" in the home, is questionable from an ethical point of view.

(Fish tanks excluded)
I agree, it speaks volumes about people.
Old 12 August 2008, 01:02 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Do Amnesty Internation deal with rodent incarceration ?
Old 12 August 2008, 01:04 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Out in the wild the majority of them will get eaten by predators so will never live out the duration of their short, natural life. They will also die if they cannot get food due to drought or whatever else.

So Henry the hamster or Gerald the gerbil is really getting quite a cushy life. Nice warm enclosure to live in, plenty of straw/hay/shredded paper/sawdust to make a nest in, few things to play with, and food constantly provided. Live a long and happy life and not get eaten by something within a few weeks/months of life. I'd do it if I were a gerbil
Old 12 August 2008, 01:08 PM
harry flatters
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
I'd do it if I were a gerbil
With your luck you would end up being bought by George Michael, taking your chances in the wild seems preferable now, doesn't it.
Old 12 August 2008, 01:08 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Out in the wild the majority of them will get eaten by predators so will never live out the duration of their short, natural life. They will also die if they cannot get food due to drought or whatever else.

So Henry the hamster or Gerald the gerbil is really getting quite a cushy life. Nice warm enclosure to live in, plenty of straw/hay/shredded paper/sawdust to make a nest in, few things to play with, and food constantly provided. Live a long and happy life and not get eaten by something within a few weeks/months of life. I'd do it if I were a gerbil
Have to agree with this man.
Once you start saying that all hamsters must be free, where do you stop?
Old 12 August 2008, 01:18 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Old 12 August 2008, 01:19 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Have to agree with this man.
Once you start saying that all hamsters must be free, where do you stop?

well thats that then.

im gonna go let both hamsters out now of their respective warm, comfortable habitats which have fresh water and food/treats. i think il go put them on the green behind my house and see what happens (considering a "natural" habitat round here for wildlife is an inustrial estate and/or main road network).

yep mind is made up.
Old 12 August 2008, 01:22 PM
harry flatters
Scooby Regular

well thats that then.

im gonna go let both hamsters out now of their respective warm, comfortable habitats which have fresh water and food/treats. i think il go put them on the green behind my house and see what happens (considering a "natural" habitat round here for wildlife is an inustrial estate and/or main road network).

yep mind is made up.
That's the type of response I would have expected you to make, it's a case of supply and demand, not some born free type release into a wild they never came from.
Old 12 August 2008, 01:27 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

That's the type of response I would have expected you to make, it's a case of supply and demand, not some born free type release into a wild they never came from.

soooooo then whats the basis of your argument?

for someone with so few posts in such a long time, the above is very presumtious
Old 12 August 2008, 01:29 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

With your luck you would end up being bought by George Michael, taking your chances in the wild seems preferable now, doesn't it.
Aww I dunno, I could be the gayest gerbil going
Old 12 August 2008, 01:30 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I'm trying to imagine a wild Hamster and I'm just not getting there.

Quick Reply: Caged Rodents