Which CCTV system to get?

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2008, 08:53 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which CCTV system to get?

Hello all

I need a good home based CCTV system that will clearly record the ******* whi are constantly scratching my wifes and my car.

Ideally, wireless connected up to the computer, reasonably priced and easy to store footage (So I can have evidence for the police...criminal damage?).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Aaquil
Old 11 August 2008, 08:57 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

You think the police will be interested in CCTV?
Old 11 August 2008, 09:31 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

You never know... I may be able to use it to threaten the neighbours that are involved...a couple of young kids who can't be bothered to get pens a paper they prefer stones and bodywork!
Old 11 August 2008, 09:45 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

You need to check if digital CCTV at home is admissible evidence.. i.e. may need to be registered with the data protection act etc..
Old 11 August 2008, 09:58 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

When some cars on the street near my parents got vandalised, the shop keeper offered the CCTV from his external camera which showed the offenders. The police weren't interested.
Old 11 August 2008, 09:59 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

OK thanks for that...I may just need to find out exactly who is doing it as I have seen one kid doing another car but not yet caught them doing my car!
Old 11 August 2008, 09:59 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Olly that is really bloody sad!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12 August 2008, 08:38 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

I think it can be used as evidence but it needs to have a time/date stamp on it
Old 12 August 2008, 08:49 AM
harry flatters
Scooby Regular

Going to the Police with CCTV footage will only exasperate the issue, the ******* that are perpetrating this act will then probably escalate the matter and your car will more likely suffer even more.

Find out who it is that's doing this, then either march round their house and confront them, their parents or whoever lives there and if that doesn't work just threaten them or give them a slap. It's the only way to ensure this stops happening.
Old 12 August 2008, 08:52 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
When some cars on the street near my parents got vandalised, the shop keeper offered the CCTV from his external camera which showed the offenders. The police weren't interested.
somebody had a sat nav stolen from outside a computer games shop around the corner from the carwash one day, and the toerag legged it away onto our site (dead end), the poor fat chap saw him and "speed walked" around the corner onto our site, the comedy benny hill style shenanigans that ensured on the site, were a site to behold!!!

and the police came around the following day and questioned us as the toerag ran our way, but were actually interested in the cctv and asked to be emailed a copy

actually now i think about it, they were only probably interested in the cctv to rule out us in the investigation
Old 12 August 2008, 08:54 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by harry flatters
Find out who it is that's doing this, then either march round their house and confront them, their parents or whoever lives there and if that doesn't work just threaten them or give them a slap. It's the only way to ensure this stops happening.
It is an offence at common law to incite another person to commit a criminal offence.
Old 12 August 2008, 08:57 AM
harry flatters
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
It is an offence at common law to incite another person to commit a criminal offence.
Really?

Anyway, I would strongly recommend this course of action to anybody, relying on the UK police to do anything is a complete waste of time and effort.
Old 12 August 2008, 03:01 PM
Averroes
Scooby Regular

If you have a DVR that can record your archive with full date and time by the press of a button, the police are very interested as they are able to put in a blank disc and make a copy themselves. This is what two Police officers told me anyway
Old 12 August 2008, 11:52 PM
help2003
Scooby Regular

easy can give you ebay links for a 2 camera set up which i have been running for 2yrs, with no problems at all,

If you have a pc get hold of a DVR card for £6ish (make sure you have atleast 30gb free on the hard drive so you can keep a couple of days worth)

You need a cam (hard wired bnc) with at least 54 leds for night use, which will switch from colour to black and white at dusk, £ 48 ish deliveried

If you go with wireless your pic will look crap as it jumps all over the place with the smallest signal break,

Get what ever length bnc cable with the power built in it as well 20m £7 del or 30m £10 del

then plug it all in job done

Here is a pic from my cam, you cant really get the quality of the image, as it running, through the remote window, as i have the cctv install on my server and access it through all my pc's and even online when am out,
hope this helps
Old 13 August 2008, 12:03 AM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

Don't forget, If you don't advertise the fact your filming, then it's not admissible in court.

Advertise that you are filming and they'll wear their hoodies up.

I'd try getting along with the neighbours, don't assume they are in any way lower than you and you'll do well as a starting point.