Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Alton Towers - Opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2008, 01:15 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Alton Towers - Opinions please

Our daughter is currrently "up north" with my wifes folks and we are off this weekend to collect. They are only an hour or two away from Alton Towers so we were thinking of going Monday morning and staying overnight Monday night then off back to Wales Tuesday evening.

Haven't been for years and our daughter is 6. She won't be allowed on most of the coasters and I'll be going alone depending on the ques. What I was thinking was on Monday look round the theme park and Tuesday do the water park thingy. Anyone know what the water park is like? Is it indoors?

Anyone stayed onsite? Seems alot more expensive then getting tickets for two days and staying offsite.
Old 07 August 2008, 01:22 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live 20 mins from Alton Towers and only go when work pays for it

You're now into the Summer Holidays and will queue and queue and queue.... it's bad enough on a weekend in term time - the ONLY time it's bearable is mid-week in term time.

Frankly, I'm disillusioned with the place now. You pay WAY too much (but can save a fortune by pre-paying - PLEASE make sure you pre-pay if you go, you can get a two day pass jobbie), you queue forever for the good rides (even the good kids rides).

The only way you can get to the rides you want is to run like buggery as soon as you are released and get to THE ride you want to go on - there is a limited queue at this point but by 11 ish the place is heaving.

Oh, and Air keeps breaking down

If you want to go JUST for the gardens and the scenery - you can find quiet bits, but you can't half tell that it stopped being anything but a theme park years ago - all the quiet stuff is neglected

If she is 6 - she'll enjoy Gullivers Kingdom in Matlock Bath a lot more. It's good fun there and all the rides will be open for a 6 year old.

You can also go up the Heights of Abraham as well which is good fun - scary cable car ride for the kids! (even better on the way down )

Last edited by Kieran_Burns; 07 August 2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07 August 2008, 01:28 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Late September during term time, the only time to go We went last year and only queued for a few minutes maximum for any of the rides. Ironically the longest queue was for the corkscrew but I think they were only running one set of carriages. Got several goes on Nemesis and walked straight on. Ended the day doing repeated goes on Rita, must have been round about ten times, would have had more goes but the missus had had enough.

And yeah Air broke down for most of the day though luckily we got a go in the morning. Awesome ride
Old 07 August 2008, 01:38 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Never ever go when the kids are off school.
Old 07 August 2008, 01:42 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Don't ever go on Easter weekend either, it's full of large groups of people with Transit vans, Mitsubishi Pajeros, Irish accents and no intention of queuing.
Old 07 August 2008, 01:44 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Oblivion is possibly the best ride in the UK IMHO.

Althoug stealth at Thorpe Park runs is pretty close.
Old 07 August 2008, 02:02 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

It wouldn't be my choice to go during the holidays and to be honest at 6 its not fun being told you can't go on the awesome looking rides (I remember the feeling!)

Short Break, Self Catering, Family and Activity Holidays in Bluestone, West Wales, UK has opened about 20 minutes away and is a Centre Parcs clone. It will cost us £13 each for 3 hours and if its rubbish we can just go home.

Alton Towers is looking at £200 for the 3 of us.
Old 07 August 2008, 02:04 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Don't ever go on Easter weekend either, it's full of large groups of people with Transit vans, Mitsubishi Pajeros, Irish accents and no intention of queuing.
Whas wrong wit moi Oirish accent :grr:

If you are going during the school holidays pay a few quid extra and get a fast track ticket. Makes the queues bearable. Was there last year and there was a three hour queue for Oblivion - the ride only last about 15 seconds. Only 10 minute queue with fast track tickets. I think they cost about a tenner for the big rides
Old 07 August 2008, 02:16 PM
ChrisB

What really hacks me off with AT is them charging to park your car. The only reason I'm there is go into the park and pay for entry, pay for food, pay for drinks, pay for... etc etc

And... breath!
Old 07 August 2008, 02:21 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
What really hacks me off with AT is them charging to park your car. The only reason I'm there is go into the park and pay for entry, pay for food, pay for drinks, pay for... etc etc

And... breath!
They what?!?!? I haven't been there for 4 years, when did they start doing that?
Old 07 August 2008, 02:23 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Ive managed to avoid paying two out of four times... Theyve charged since the end of 2004 or the beginning of 2205 I think.
Old 07 August 2008, 02:31 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
They what?!?!? I haven't been there for 4 years, when did they start doing that?

Oh yeah - forgot about that.... charging for the car, just so the park fees don't seem so high.

As I said above - PRE-BOOK. You save a fortune and don't need to queue for tickets
Old 07 August 2008, 02:31 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

****ing cheeky *******s. I'll bet its only a matter of time before the rest of the start doing it.

That really is unbeleiveble. The more I think about it the more incredulous I am.

You are parking in that car park explicitly for the reason of going into the park. I mean I don't get charged when I park in, say, Tescos.
Old 07 August 2008, 02:33 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Oh yeah - forgot about that.... charging for the car, just so the park fees don't seem so high.

As I said above - PRE-BOOK. You save a fortune and don't need to queue for tickets
I tend to go to Thorpe Park (much closer to home), which is on a par with Alton Towers these day, and when I do, I go to the various money saving sites and invariably end up with a couple of buy one get one free vouchers.
Old 07 August 2008, 02:35 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Just to stoke the fire Pete - they charge £4 as well..... not exactly peanuts hey?
Old 07 August 2008, 02:38 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

How/where do you pre-book Kieran?
Old 07 August 2008, 02:40 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Just to stoke the fire Pete - they charge £4 as well..... not exactly peanuts hey?
I mean I suppose with a car of 4 of you, then it's a quid each. Which is obviously bugger all, but its the principle. I mean if it was a communal parking place, you know, like in a town centr eor such like, then I could almos tunderstand. But the only reason you will ever park there is to go into the thieving ****s' theme park.

It's like someone coming to visit me at home, and then me slapping them with a £5 fee for parking on my driveway.
Old 07 August 2008, 02:43 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

BT RialtoPlus Ticketing System

you get an even bigger discount if you have £10 or more (£22.50 compared to on the day of £35 I think)
Old 07 August 2008, 02:48 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I mailed them - Go this repsonse...
Good afternoon

Thank you for your email to me here in Guest Services. I can confirm that a nominal car parking charge of £4.00 per vehicle has been introduced. The charge applies to cars only – mini buses, coaches and disabled guests displaying the nationally recognised blue badge will not be charged.

It is not unusual for car parking to be charged at major tourist attractions. It is a minimal charge that will be ploughed back into the Park, improving the infrastructure and adding to improving the attractions on offer. There is also an environmental rationale – as part of our green transport policy we are trying to encourage more people to visit the park in groups. This does not necessarily mean public transport – many of our guests come on organized trips and this is an area that we are looking to expand, even if it is simply an increase in the number of minibuses or families sharing cars.

Thank you once again and I hope this has not deterred you from visiting us in the future.
Old 07 August 2008, 03:37 PM
ChrisB

Or it's £10 if you want to park by the entrance and not have to suffer the unwashed masses on the monorail...
Old 07 August 2008, 03:55 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

"Masses" being the operative word at Alton Towers from what i've seen...
Old 07 August 2008, 04:11 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Lol at their environmental policy for an excuse of ramping up their charges. Sounds like a press release from some gov't dep't.

I suppose they'll be charging band G cars more than much less polluting cars then?