Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Help Finding Someone (reverse address?)

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2008, 04:21 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Finding Someone (reverse address?)

Hello

It appears I take on a bi-annual search to find my birth Mother. Occasionally I come up with new ideas (and some of you have helped in the past) but I am no closer than I was several years ago.

Anyway, my latest idea is to find the person who currently lives at an address in Fintona. Can anyone help me with that? I used to have some dodgy programs that did reverse address lookup but that was SO long ago. Unfortunately the Land Registry in Northern Ireland has no electronic records for the property (although they were suprisingly helpful!).

Any other ideas welcome: I have a full (pre-married unfortunately) name, and an address in 1969 in Northern Ireland.

Steve
Old 05 August 2008, 05:17 PM
Julio Jordio
Scooby Regular

I cant help mate, but good luck all the same.
Old 05 August 2008, 05:26 PM
gaz-cole
Scooby Regular

192.com or something similar providing she is on the electoral role, you have to pay but worth it especially if for something like this
Old 05 August 2008, 08:09 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gaz-cole
192.com or something similar providing she is on the electoral role, you have to pay but worth it especially if for something like this

Unfortunately I only have a maiden name, so electoral roll isn't any help. I tried using the surname on bt.com in the general area and ringing the (40 or so) results and asking if they had a relative with that name. Everyone was very helpful, but no luck sadly.

Steve
Old 05 August 2008, 08:11 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pay someone who does it for a living should get a result pretty quickly.
Old 05 August 2008, 08:18 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
pay someone who does it for a living should get a result pretty quickly.
I did that .... and they couldn't find them. It was a "pay up front" and we'll return your money if unsuccessful in 30 days.

Steve
Old 05 August 2008, 09:09 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

bit of a long shot but what about tracing the family tree. If you have some info like name and area and date, then can you not trace in the future so to speak? thus finding out married name etc
Old 05 August 2008, 09:30 PM
m1cks
Scooby Regular

a long shot but have you tried friends re-united/facebook/other. People often go by their maiden name as that's how school friends would have known them.
Old 05 August 2008, 10:07 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by m1cks
a long shot but have you tried friends re-united/facebook/other. People often go by their maiden name as that's how school friends would have known them.
I have tried Friends and Genes reunited.

Steve
Old 05 August 2008, 11:35 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Not sure if this is any good, but worth a try. Also you could try the local Registrar for the area using the full name you have. I would have thought pre marraige name would be better for you. Good luck

Birth Certificate UK
Old 06 August 2008, 12:57 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

If you PM me the name and address in Fintona I might be able to get some info for you. I have a few clients down that way. It is a fairly small community - the sort of place where everyone knows someone who knows everything about someone else. Might come to nothing, but you never know
Old 06 August 2008, 10:17 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

surely there would be records of marrige if she has got married?

could you pay a private investigator for this sort of thing?
Old 06 August 2008, 10:29 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Update:

Thanks to Boomer on here, I got the telephone number of the address. I called them this morning and they remember the family from 1969. Her sister is apparently living a few streets away and I have her married name. They are currently not answering the phone. Assuming that information is correct, that is extremely extremely close.

Thank you all for your help,

Steve
Old 06 August 2008, 10:36 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

good for you
Old 06 August 2008, 10:42 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

What will you do if you track her down, Steve? Knock on the door? Are you sure she wants that?
Old 06 August 2008, 10:55 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Are you adopted then Steve?

I am, and I've thought about tracking down my birth mother a few times but I was told (from someone who did track their mother) that I would need to undergo a physcological interview first because of the year in which I was born (1970, so not far from you).

I was also told that there is a central 'register' somewhere which holds contact details for anyone who has ever given a child up for adoption.

Don't know if that's BS or true, but have you heard anything like that? Surely it can't be as easy as knocking on someone's door - that could have severe implications for everyone concerned (as TelBoy eludes to).
Old 06 August 2008, 10:58 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
What will you do if you track her down, Steve? Knock on the door? Are you sure she wants that?
That is a good question. I feel I may have to play my hand early anyway, as speaking to her sister and saying "Hi, can you give me the married name of your sister...." without divulging any information is going to be difficult.

I am not 'hung up' about it, not searching for reasons why (1969 Ireland and not married is good enough), my parents are devoted so I am not resentful, I just feel that I should take the opportunity to talk to / meet my birth Mother before (frankly) it is too late and she dies.

From her perspective, I have no idea. I would have thought there should be some interest as to what happened? I would imagine her current family doesn't know, so I wouldn't want to disturb someones life.

From that ramble above, you can see I'm not sure!

Steve
Old 06 August 2008, 11:09 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks 23
Are you adopted then Steve?

I am, and I've thought about tracking down my birth mother a few times but I was told (from someone who did track their mother) that I would need to undergo a physcological interview first because of the year in which I was born (1970, so not far from you).

I was also told that there is a central 'register' somewhere which holds contact details for anyone who has ever given a child up for adoption.

Don't know if that's BS or true, but have you heard anything like that? Surely it can't be as easy as knocking on someone's door - that could have severe implications for everyone concerned (as TelBoy eludes to).

When you ask for your adoption records, they invite you in for an interview. I did this .... eek ... 19 years ago. I can't remember much about it, apart from two somewhat annoying women who 'cared' talking to me for a little while. This gives you your original birth certificate only. That isn't much help in most cases.

However, from that, you can then get a court order to have everything released. All the paperwork signed by both parties. I have all of that. It only shows the Mother's name, address at the time and that it is. In most cases the Mother isn't married, so tracking them down is very hard. Especially as she gave a false address in the UK in all but one of the documents (where the 'proper' address that I used above was shown).

Steve
Old 06 August 2008, 11:12 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
All the paperwork signed by both parties. I have all of that
Does that mean she's effectively consented to you having her details?

In which case, good luck.

(I may send you a PM as I'd like to know more).
Old 06 August 2008, 11:17 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks 23
Does that mean she's effectively consented to you having her details?

In which case, good luck.

(I may send you a PM as I'd like to know more).
You are welcome to PM me.

It isn't possible from them to get consent as they do not keep track of where the Mother is so would have no way of contacting them to ask for it.

There isn't such a thing as a 'private' adoption where you can say I never want my details released. Well, there probably is via the Police or something, but not a normal adoption.

Steve
Old 06 August 2008, 11:45 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
You are welcome to PM me
Cheers, have done so