Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Samples of Textured plastics

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2008, 05:36 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Samples of Textured plastics

Looking to product different surface finishes from injection moulding but I'm not clued about surface finishes.

Is there a chat like RAL/Pantone for surface finishes?

I have a simple sparked finish chat but thats about it.

Thanks
Old 04 August 2008, 09:16 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

depends what you want Ray,

you can have a grained finish in varying levels of coarseness (sp) you also need to be aware of what you are graining, some moulds respond better than others. colour of the part & material is another factor to address.

also the grain pattern is individual, dependent on what you require. your tool/ mould maker should be aware of all this

mart
Old 04 August 2008, 10:26 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

I'm designing a few plastic medical products.

historically we've always gone for white Nylon 6 with a highly polished gloss finish which i find plain and boring.

Want an interesting finish but don't know what I want yet. Maybe something like satin, frosted, egg shell kind of finish.

Nylon 6 may also be a thing of the past if i can find a better plastic

Usually our tool maker would be more than happy to help but due to management sending everything to China no body is willing to help us and our Chinese tool makers dont know jack ****

Last edited by Ray_li; 04 August 2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04 August 2008, 10:35 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably stating the obvious as a purchaser/user/maintainer of medical equipment, but presumably a polished surface will be easier to keep clean. For the image of your equipment, something that appears clean would also be nice. Antimicrobial additives may be a nice feature if possible/economical?
Old 04 August 2008, 10:43 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

a polished surface would be easier to clean but the market has headed away from polished finishes.

we already do a plastic thats antimicrobial
Old 04 August 2008, 11:37 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

If its medical, / pharma then you will prolly have a set of industry standards on what you can or cant do with regards to supplied stuff.

Also nylon 6 is prolly used for a certain reason, you need to ask around as to why.

i,m surprised nylon is used, given that its hydroscopic.

If i were you, i,d talk to your mould dept, and get some pointers from them, and then your raw material supplier.

its a complete industry in its own right, and i doubt if i can full advise of what & where.

the toolmakers in china are very good, we used to use them. it was the graining / etch company in the UK that let us down

Mart
Old 05 August 2008, 09:40 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
i,m surprised nylon is used, given that its hydroscopic.

Mart

What would you recommend instead of Nylon?
Old 05 August 2008, 06:57 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ray_li
What would you recommend instead of Nylon?
you need to talk to your material supplier, we used glass filled nylon for automotive applications, its very abrasive and can wear out tools V quickly.

As as said its an industry in its own right. GEC used to supply lots of raw plastic, there tech dept was very good, when i needed some alternates & info on material

Mart
Old 05 August 2008, 09:22 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

If you are talking about injection moulds then yes there are surface finish differences. These vary massively.

The lightest textures give the smallest degree of protection against marking, the heavier the texture the greater the protection. Smooth surfaces with no texture are a nightmare, the lightest touch and they mark. Not great if you are heavily into your quality control.

We tend to go for a medium spark on our products. They give reasonable protection while retaining a quality smooth looking finish.

It is however worth remembering that depending on the degree of texture you go for you must allow varying draft angle on the product to allow it to be removed from the tool. A good tool maker will help you with this.

We mainly go to China these days. I currently have around £400K (25 tools) in manufacture.

The lead times vary depending on the number of iterations you need. By rule of thumb I reckon on 6-8months to get a textured tool correct and passed the part apprival process.

We generally use Mold-tech for texture samples or Yick Sang

Oh and finally don't put two varying textures together without really researching and trialing them. They can look awful and a different colour due to the shadows.

You probably didn't need any of that info but hey I was bored and thought I would type it
Old 05 August 2008, 10:29 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
Smooth surfaces with no texture are a nightmare, the lightest touch and they mark. Not great if you are heavily into your quality control.
Tell me about it spent 2 years in and out of Ford car plants, due to issues with a polished surface

Oh and finally don't put two varying textures together without really researching and trialing them. They can look awful and a different colour due to the shadows.
lol, and the next set of issues i picked up, yup graining issues

Mart
Old 06 August 2008, 12:43 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

If you are talking about injection moulds then yes there are surface finish differences. These vary massively.

The lightest textures give the smallest degree of protection against marking, the heavier the texture the greater the protection. Smooth surfaces with no texture are a nightmare, the lightest touch and they mark. Not great if you are heavily into your quality control.

We tend to go for a medium spark on our products. They give reasonable protection while retaining a quality smooth looking finish.

It is however worth remembering that depending on the degree of texture you go for you must allow varying draft angle on the product to allow it to be removed from the tool. A good tool maker will help you with this.

We mainly go to China these days. I currently have around £400K (25 tools) in manufacture.

The lead times vary depending on the number of iterations you need. By rule of thumb I reckon on 6-8months to get a textured tool correct and passed the part apprival process.

We generally use Mold-tech for texture samples or Yick Sang

You probably didn't need any of that info but hey I was bored and thought I would type it

good stuff there

I've not had much experience with plastics. I come from a metal background