Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Im back from the Gambia!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2002, 10:28 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got home from holiday last night in the Gambia. What a place !!

Temperature was low 30s all week a bit of cloud, but still fugging hot. Stayed in the Palm Beach hotel near Banjul, which was nice.

Visited a local school and family and took clothes, books, pens and sweets for the kids. Its a real eye opener to see how they live, and the fact that all the children seemed to want was a pen to write with. Kids in this country could learn something !!

Made friends with a police officer, who was actually a bodyguard for a senior government official, so wherever we went with him, no one ripped us off, which was cool !!!!!!!!

But, I am back to earth with a bump (and sunburnt shoulders) at work today. Bummer.

Dave
Old 06 February 2002, 11:51 AM
KimA
Scooby Regular

Smile

Dave,

Excellent - did you get a chance to go on any of the other trips...St James' Island (think that's right), boat trip along the river etc.

Old 06 February 2002, 12:00 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

We did the Paradise Island trip, saw the crocodile pit (it stank !!) and stroked Charlie the Croc who was massive !!

Also did a cross country safari day on the back of an old US army lorry, that was amazing.

Also neraly got stitched up by a tailor in Banjul when getting 2 suits made, but as we were with the police bodyguard blokey, he made sure we went to the tailor that makes clothes for the Prime Minister and that when he took the deposit he didnt run off. Also, when we went to collect the suits yesterday, he hadnt finished one of the jackets so the policeman told him we wouldnt pay for the second suit and the tailor would pay for the policeman to send it to me when its done.

Bomsters were a bit of a pain, but after a couple of days when you have a slight tan they leave you alone.

Boy how i am enjoying work. This time yesterday i was lying by the pool and it was 33 degrees.
Old 06 February 2002, 01:23 PM
Philip C
Scooby Newbie

Many stories from the Gambia. Great place

One is that when I went looking for a tourist map I got directed to what I thought was going to be the tourist office but turned out to be the Tourist Ministers office. Got taken to the head of the queue and into his office. Had a chat with him. Far from giving me a map he ended up asking if I would give him my Lonely Planet book I had with me.

Several days later I bumped into some Brits who were mapping the whole country in detail for the UN.

Philip