Default Labour loses 'safe' seat

Always good to hear ...

Labour Ousted From Glasgow East - Yahoo! News UK

Steve
Old 25 July 2008, 09:52 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surely even Labour haven't got blinkers so big that they can't see this is pretty much the ultimate humiliation and that Brown is a utter liablity both to the party and more importantly to the country as a whole.

Can't wait to hear how they spin this one LOL!
Old 25 July 2008, 09:53 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

On Radio 4 this Morning Des Brown said is was abad result and that it is mainly due to the durrent economic strains that the party need to stay the course but increase efforts to makes things easier for people.
Old 25 July 2008, 09:53 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Considered the strongest seat for them in the UK, MP in place for the last 60 years. Oh dear
Old 25 July 2008, 09:54 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Surely even Labour haven't got blinkers so big that they can't see this is pretty much the ultimate humiliation
Not really as huge a surprise as the media are making out, SNP do pretty well here

Considered the strongest seat for them in the UK
Can't see how any Scottish seat can be deemed 'safe' with the rise in SNP popularity
Old 25 July 2008, 09:57 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gordo
Considered the strongest seat for them in the UK, MP in place for the last 60 years. Oh dear
25th strongest. But a huge blow regardless.
Old 25 July 2008, 09:58 AM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Protest vote.

Not many Scots actually want independance from the silver spoon that feeds them, so the SNP vote was a big kick up the rear-end for Labour.

It's the economy and I'm not sure how they are going to turn it around in time to save them.
Old 25 July 2008, 10:01 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Will Scotland leave the UK in the not to distant future?

Suppose thats another matter.As to the thread,surely GB must be one of the most unpopular/unhelpful leader for any party for a long time?

Wonder if he will be booted out Et tu Brutus? Stylee (reckon Brutus might be Mr D in this case??)
Old 25 July 2008, 10:24 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lozgti
Wonder if he will be booted out Et tu Brutus? Stylee (reckon Brutus might be Mr D in this case??)
More likely to be one of the Miliband clones.

Mr Brown the public have spoken and you've run out of time. Do the decent thing for once in your life and call a general election.
Old 25 July 2008, 11:01 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

I see the dailymash has picked it up

**** WARTS TAKE POLL LEAD OVER BROWN - The Daily Mash
Old 25 July 2008, 11:03 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
Protest vote.

Not many Scots actually want independence from the silver spoon that feeds them
I challenge that.
Old 25 July 2008, 11:37 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Me too (but can't be bothered getting into another pointless argument with Sunnysideup)
Old 25 July 2008, 04:31 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well I did expect them to hold the seat but with a greatly reduced majority, but this result is a very big kick up the usual for not only Flash but the whole incompetent and selfish bunch of them.

Isn't it amazing how they are so quick to blame their self generated economic failure on world circumstances beyond their control! As for Home affairs, what more is there to say?

Les
Old 25 July 2008, 04:34 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Scottish people will vote for Scottish people. That's how that bloke won X-Factor last year! (He was sh1te BTW).
Old 25 July 2008, 04:36 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

That's a good point, whatever happened to Leon's debut album? Hmm.
Old 25 July 2008, 04:40 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
I dunno, but no doubt it will go to number one just by the sales in Glasgow alone.
Old 25 July 2008, 04:42 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Sunk without trace: rather like the Glasgow East Labour candidate!
Old 25 July 2008, 04:57 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

You'll be pleased to hear that Gordon Brown is "getting on with the job" Glasgow East by-election: Gordon Brown 'getting on with the job' after crushing Glasgow defeat - Telegraph

Shame he seems to think the job is to run the UK into the ground but there you go.....
Old 25 July 2008, 05:38 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

"We've got to listen and hear people's concerns and that's exactly what we are doing. People are worried every time they go to the petrol station for fuel and worry about the costs. These are concerns that are happening in every other country.

"My full focus is on taking people through these difficult times."

STOP IT GORDON,stop it stop it stop it stop it.Say it one more time and I think the whole electorate will go barmy with these statements.Same with the 'on with the job one'

For goodness sake someone help the bloke out,its getting just so embarrassing!

(sorry,that article wound me up!)
Old 25 July 2008, 05:39 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by SiPie
Me too (but can't be bothered getting into another pointless argument with Sunnysideup)
He's like Gordon Brown - doesn't know when it's time to go.

As far as Brown's concerned it's business as usual. I'm starting to wonder about his sanity tbh.
Old 25 July 2008, 05:49 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

"We've got to listen and hear people's concerns and that's exactly what we are doing. People are worried every time they go to the petrol station for fuel and worry about the costs. These are concerns that are happening in every other country.

"My full focus is on taking people through these difficult times."

STOP IT GORDON,stop it stop it stop it stop it.Say it one more time and I think the whole electorate will go barmy with these statements.Same with the 'on with the job one'

For goodness sake someone help the bloke out,its getting just so embarrassing!

(sorry,that article wound me up!)
Blimey I have to defend someone I don't really like here, but what's the guys supposed to say? He could he be say; 'I resign' I suppose, but that isn't going to change anything! He could call an election and, which of course he will lose, but again that really isn't going to change anything either. We are where we are, we've got to go through a really painful couple of years, whoever is in charge will make zero difference.
Old 25 July 2008, 05:55 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

He is just so poor on his feet.He has no skills in that department and comes across as annoying

Blair was just so good(I begrudgingly concede).Even at a time when people were talking about did we do the right thing with Saddam and dodgy info upon which to base a war,his bit about 'I really believed in it etc etc'

He could pull rabbits from hats.Brown just really cannot do it and as nice as he allegedly is in real life,he really is not (IMO) a Prime Minister.He is a backroom boy
Old 25 July 2008, 06:09 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

He is just so poor on his feet.He has no skills in that department and comes across as annoying

Blair was just so good(I begrudgingly concede).Even at a time when people were talking about did we do the right thing with Saddam and dodgy info upon which to base a war,his bit about 'I really believed in it etc etc'

He could pull rabbits from hats.Brown just really cannot do it and as nice as he allegedly is in real life,he really is not (IMO) a Prime Minister.He is a backroom boy

Totally agree, it's been said before, but Brown is singularly unsuited to role of PM
Old 25 July 2008, 06:15 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Blimey I have to defend someone I don't really like here, but what's the guys supposed to say? He could he be say; 'I resign' I suppose, but that isn't going to change anything! He could call an election and, which of course he will lose, but again that really isn't going to change anything either. We are where we are, we've got to go through a really painful couple of years, whoever is in charge will make zero difference.

demonstrate a bit of humility and honesty? stop pretending this is all down to global economic circumstances [which it isn't]? stop looking and sounding like a humourless, boorish and short-sighted android whose record is stuck? stop spouting meaningless statistics about GDP and the number of children he hasn't lifted out of poverty to any and every question he is asked? admit some mistakes? appear human? put the needs of the country first instead of the labour party? some hope ... he's not fit for the job of PM. he knows it, the labour party knows it and the electorate knows it.

however, despite hitting hit rock bottom he now intends to start drilling deeper. why? he's so inflexible, it's all he knows. not good enough. quite frankly, f**k him. because he's f***ing us.
Old 25 July 2008, 06:36 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Holy Ghost

demonstrate a bit of humility and honesty? stop pretending this is all down to global economic circumstances [which it isn't]? stop looking and sounding like a humourless, boorish and short-sighted android whose record is stuck? stop spouting meaningless statistics about GDP and the number of children he hasn't lifted out of poverty to any and every question he is asked? admit some mistakes? appear human? put the needs of the country first instead of the labour party? some hope ... he's not fit for the job of PM. he knows it, the labour party knows it and the electorate knows it.

however, despite hitting hit rock bottom he now intends to start drilling deeper. why? he's so inflexible, it's all he knows. not good enough. quite frankly, f**k him. because he's f***ing us.
It's good to read a nice balanced critique
Old 25 July 2008, 10:16 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

Am I the only person who is sick to death of hearing, blah blah £50 million pound to China to help with pollution, Blah Blah £30 million to Palestine, Blah Blah £x million to help fight aids , Blah Blah, £x million to help Africa, Gorden there are people in this country who are really poor uneducated and no hopers
they need our money from our overtaxed population. Please sort out the U.K. not everybody else. ( ps you may guess I am fed up with fuel prices and the con of it all )
Old 26 July 2008, 01:59 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Talking

Today will go down in history as the end of Labour as a political party after the next General Election.

LMFAO

Old 26 July 2008, 02:10 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
Today will go down in history as the end of Labour as a political party after the next General Election.
If thats true - PRAISE THE LORD! Only the Loony Lib Dems to go then!
Old 26 July 2008, 02:39 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
If thats true - PRAISE THE LORD! Only the Loony Lib Dems to go then!
you forgot to mention the Tories too
Old 26 July 2008, 02:58 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods

LMFAO

Nah, they are in no worse postion than the Tories in 1997 and sadly they managed to weather the storm.

Quick Reply: Labour loses 'safe' seat