Going Dubai..

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2008, 12:08 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Location: LONDON MANDEM - At Da V-Power Petty Station Fillin Up
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Going Dubai..

Yes.. as titled Anyone know any good places to go to? site seing? shoping? things to do? what i should take with me.. advice pls!
Old 24 July 2008, 12:22 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Don't **** on the beach.

BBC NEWS | UK | Woman arrested for 'sex on beach'
Old 24 July 2008, 02:00 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

I've been three times.
Taking family?
What interests do you have?

Visit:
The Wild Wadi Waterpark.
The gold souk.
Burjuman centre or Deira City mall for shopping.
Ski Dubai in the Mall of the Emirates.
Take a trip on an Abra across the creek.
Walk along the creek at night.
Evenings are still very warm but the evening "call to prayer" reverborating around the buildings is spooky and worth going out to listen to.
Go into the desert in a 4wd trip up and down the sand dunes that then drives out to an "authentic" Bedouin campsite for the evening. Cheesy but well worth the dosh. No good if you easily get car sick though. (they do stop every so often to allow you to recover)
Into the desert quad biking.
Charter a boat.
Try fishing in the creek.
Golf course.
Camel/Horse racing.

Those are the standard tourist things.
There are plenty of excursions you can book

Wouldn't bother taking anything different to your usual Spanish holiday stuff except a higher SPF suncream. You can get anything you want over there much cheaper than here.
Old 24 July 2008, 02:51 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

When are you going - avoid July-end August as it is hot - i saw 54 degrees on a couple of days, 45+ degrees the rest of the time during July-Aug.

What this means is you cannot go to the beach or the likes of Wild Wadi as it is just too hot. You cannot walk around for more than a few minutes and you cannnot siunbath or you will die. Donot take children out in this sort of heat as they dehydrate in minutes.

If you do go pick up some cans of Pocari sweat Welcome to Pocari Sweat Website it is literally a life saver.

If you have not experienced this sort of heat then little can prepare you.

Most expats go on holiday during these months to get away from the heat.

Ok
If you want adventure and stuff
Blue Banana ...the alternative gift experience

BB Have lots to do, thier people are well trained and the kit in good condition

Shopping
Inna Batutta Mall - i much prefer this to the MotE
Mall of the Emarates
Gold Souk
Souk Madinat, next to Wild Wadi and the Burj is great + good eateries and bars. Souk has lots of great shops and boutiques, good atmosphere.
If you are out there for 10+ days then get yourself down to the clothing district ajoining the gold quater and get a suit/shirts made. I have several shirts hand made for less than a tenner each including the materials. A Tailor made suit will set you back from £ 100.00+

Diving is OK, cheap compared to a lot of places, diving is not really on the Dubai side, more towards Fujeirah whch can be 60+ mins in a hot minibus
Welcome Alboomdiving,Uae marine,diving school,dubai,dive shop,dive courses,,PADI 5 Star,dive boats,PADI Dive Courses dubai,Al Boom Maraine,water dubai

Alboom are great - i dived with them.

If you have kids and want to know what a Tiger looks like seperated by no more than a sheet of (toughened0 glass then go to Dubailand, our kids loved to see them and worth the trek out there to see the model of Dubailand which is 100' square of what Dubailand will look like when complete - it will be some 7 times the size of DusneyLand.

Last edited by The Zohan; 24 July 2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 25 July 2008, 12:14 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

im going jumeirah beach! & im going with the family. Im up for everything when it comes down to holidays, theres no two ways about it. im going in 5 days time..
Old 25 July 2008, 12:43 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sti_Prodrive
im going jumeirah beach! & im going with the family. Im up for everything when it comes down to holidays, theres no two ways about it. im going in 5 days time..
You staying at the JBH?

I am sure you have got a good deal, it is cheap this time of year due to the heat!

It is a nice hotel right next (well couple hundred yds) from the burg and Souk Madinat and wild Wadi!
It is 15 mins taxi ride aaty from old Dubai town
5 mns taxi from the Mall of the Emitates
and 10 mins from Inna Batutta Mall - this is a must see!

Bonus - You have your own peson piivate section of Jumeirah Beach to lay on.

Please heed my warnings about the heat. It will get to you in minutes, even if you are used to hot climates the miday sun is ferocious.

Good luck, have fun, do obey the laws and customs and it is a fun place. You can get sh*t faced just do not stagger around in public or drop your shorts!
Old 25 July 2008, 01:34 PM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sti_Prodrive

Its gonna be hotttttttt !!!!
My sis lives out there and she says its too hot at this time of year. Can't go outside during the day have to be inside in the Air con. I will try to find out good places to go for you............
Old 25 July 2008, 01:47 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

You will like the Jumeriah Beach Hotel. Go on the complementary trip over to the Burj Al Arab, not much to see but at least you can say you've been inside.

You can also get a golf buggy to the Mina A Salem next door, has a few nice restaurants. As above, the desert 4WD trip is worth doing.

Allan
Old 28 July 2008, 11:20 AM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Yup... its smoking over there right about now! Im sooo missing the sun & the sea
Old 28 July 2008, 03:37 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

cheers guys! thanks for all the help