Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The Great Global Warming Swindle....swindle

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2008, 03:45 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Great Global Warming Swindle....swindle

I know there was plenty of debate on this at the time, and as predicted by some, it appears that this was just a propaganda piece. I also understand similar accusations have been made about the Al Gore documentary, which begs the question....

When can we have a proper and balanced and national debate on this complex, controversial and potentially huge issue?

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Climate documentary 'broke rules'

Last edited by Martin2005; 21 July 2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 21 July 2008, 03:53 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Hmm ofcom ruled that the documentry did not give a balanced view.

Wonder how balanced this thread is going to be
Old 21 July 2008, 03:54 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Martin2005
When can we have a proper and balanced and national debate on this complex, controversial and potentially huge issue?
When we have a government that's genuinely interested in what the people think rather than forcing their own agenda of tax tax tax. If the clown's party were really interested in what the people thought then they would have held the long-promised referendum on the EU constitution.
Old 21 July 2008, 03:59 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
When we have a government that's genuinely interested in what the people think rather than forcing their own agenda of tax tax tax. If the clown's party were really interested in what the people thought then they would have held the long-promised referendum on the EU constitution.

At the risk of derailing my own thread, what do you think the people want then, an EU constitution or not? Or is this just a trojan horse for the real agenda of some that foolishly believe we'd be better off outside the EU altogether?
Old 21 July 2008, 04:00 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant

Me and you towards the middle, everyone else out on the right....as always
Old 21 July 2008, 04:04 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Martin2005
At the risk of derailing my own thread, what do you think the people want then, an EU constitution or not? Or is this just a trojan horse for the real agenda of some that foolishly believe we'd be better off outside the EU altogether?
It makes no difference what the people want mate. It's the process of holding the referendum that I'm talking about - giving the people the right to choose, as they were promised.

What I think isn't important but considering the EU accounts for a significant majority of our trade then we would be mad to be outside it...
Old 21 July 2008, 04:08 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

It makes no difference what the people want mate. It's the process of holding the referendum that I'm talking about - giving the people the right to choose, as they were promised.

What I think isn't important but considering the EU accounts for a significant majority of our trade then we would be mad to be outside it...

Totally agree with both points, it's a bloody disgrace that we have not had the referendum we were promised, I know why they haven't done, and I kind of understand why, but it's still wrong.
Old 21 July 2008, 04:18 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

As long as politics are involved, its never going to be a balanced debate.

Tunnel-visioned scientists are bad enough as it is.
Old 21 July 2008, 04:18 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

So back to your original question - there won't be a debate on climate change while the government are not interested in hearing what the people think.
Old 21 July 2008, 04:26 PM
chris1scouser
Scooby Regular

Default the sun

The sun governs the temperature of the earth.
i remember that in the programme, a graph was laid over the time period from the start of the industrial revolution to today and the increase in temperature did not coincide with human activity.
however it did match the cycles of the sun.
we are all told that we must not do this we must do that, it is the quest for wealth and economic growth that will destroy us.
we need to be allowed to change our habits by ourselves, i.e. all new build houses should have solar panels on the roof. these are only allowed to be fitted by approved installers( scam) ineffective wind turbines should stop being built, they are not cost effective and they only produce energy when its windy. there are clean and green fuel and energy sources already available we aren't allowed to access them easily because the government doesn't want it. it is possible to run an internal combustion engine on a mixture of fuel and hydrogen. there are videos of this being achieved on you tube. Google hydrogen generator.
why isn't this method being pursued? because oil companies are terrified of the technology.
additionally the residual heat in the ground can be used to heat homes and water but again there is strict government legislation preventing our access to it.
Old 21 July 2008, 04:26 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Given that the program was called "The Great Global Warming Swindle", did they ever set out to give a balanced view? Surely they set out to discredit The Global Warming Theory?
Old 21 July 2008, 04:27 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

So back to your original question - there won't be a debate on climate change while the government are not interested in hearing what the people think.
It's not so much what the people think that matters here though is it? What really matters is the truth, we need to understand what the reality is. Let's have the experts from both sides make their cases and debate the points. Then let's judge things for a position of knowledge and balanced understanding.

At the moment this debate has been hijacked by green fanatics and conspiracy theorists, leaving Joe Public stuck in the middle.
Old 21 July 2008, 04:33 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
Given that the program was called "The Great Global Warming Swindle", did they ever set out to give a balanced view? Surely they set out to discredit The Global Warming Theory?
I think the point is that the title of the programme could well be the conclusion they reached after going through a balanced and inpartial process. The problem is they would appear to of reached that conclusion before they made the show!
Old 21 July 2008, 04:34 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

At the moment this debate has been hijacked by green fanatics and conspiracy theorists, leaving Joe Public stuck in the middle.
Here Here
Old 21 July 2008, 04:36 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

[quote=chris1scouser;8019652]The sun governs the temperature of the earth.

Thanks for that revelation matey
Old 21 July 2008, 04:37 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

1. Climate change exists (look how cold it is at the minute!!).
2. It is not man made, it's natural.
3. We can't do anything about it.
4. The End.

There you go, that's how it is so we should all get on with getting Labour out of gov't now.
Old 21 July 2008, 04:38 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
1. Climate change exists (look how cold it is at the minute!!).
2. It is not man made, it's natural.
3. We can't do anything about it.
4. The End.

There you go, that's how it is so we should all get on with getting Labour out of gov't now.
And you KNOW all of this........how?
Old 21 July 2008, 04:47 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I'm God.
Old 21 July 2008, 04:50 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Quote:
"I think the point is that the title of the programme could well be the conclusion they reached after going through a balanced and inpartial process. The problem is they would appear to of reached that conclusion before they made the show! "

So if I made a documentary entitled "Hitler was a right b*stard", would I have to include a whole load of good things he'd achieved when he was younger, to balance my argument?
Old 21 July 2008, 04:51 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
I'm God.
Old 21 July 2008, 04:51 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Dream Weaver, please say "statistics", please!
Old 21 July 2008, 04:53 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

So if I made a documentary entitled "Hitler was a right b*stard", would I have to include a whole load of good things he'd achieved when he was younger, to balance my argument?
I think thats the point - You can't use channel four to present a personal view - However accurate or truthful it may be.

Any views expressed have to be impartial. "Just the facts ma'am" type thing.
Old 21 July 2008, 04:58 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

For a less hysterical view, I would recommend everyone to go a read 'Cool It' by Bjorn Lomberg (the original 'Skeptical Enviromentalist). He's an economist, not a politician or green fanatic. It's the most balanced view on the subject of global warming that I've read and would hope that a few of the people in power would take note of what he says (plus he loves ripping Al Gore apart ).

Chris
Old 21 July 2008, 05:04 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
For a less hysterical view, I would recommend everyone to go a read 'Cool It' by Bjorn Lomberg (the original 'Skeptical Enviromentalist). He's an economist, not a politician or green fanatic. It's the most balanced view on the subject of global warming that I've read and would hope that a few of the people in power would take note of what he says (plus he loves ripping Al Gore apart ).

Chris

If he's an economist, why should I accept his view of climatology?
Old 21 July 2008, 05:31 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Quote:
"I think the point is that the title of the programme could well be the conclusion they reached after going through a balanced and inpartial process. The problem is they would appear to of reached that conclusion before they made the show! "

Err you've lost me, it's a historical fact that Hitler was a right bstd, it's by no means a fact that GW is a 'swindle'
Old 21 July 2008, 07:05 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

There's a general assumption here that Joe Public is someone of immense common sense who will make the right decisions based on being provided the impartial facts.

This, IMHO, is nonsense. If Joe Public ran the show anyone who dropped a *** end would be at the end of a rope and paediatricians would have their houses burnt down because their neighbours thought they were paedophiles.

It has to be left to the scientists but they haven't helped their cause in recent times by getting things slightly wrong like BSE. There are also too many scientists linked to a vested interest which leads to doubts as to their independence.

It strikes me, as Mr Joe Public, that GW is happening more quickly than is healthy but that no one really knows what the man made contribution really is.

On a side note I would get out of Europe but continue to trade.

Just my 2 euros. dl
Old 21 July 2008, 07:10 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

I enjoyed it. It was great to see something so opposite the near hysterical stuff we hear all the time in the media.
Old 21 July 2008, 07:17 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Ofcom ruled "Channel 4 did not fulfil obligations to be impartial and to reflect a range of views on controversial issues."
Which means that "An Inconvenient Truth" cannot be shown on tele in the UK because that one sided load of tripe also fails to be impartial...
So, in that instance the ruling is a benefit, because it would be terrifying to think anyone could watch Al Gores pitiful attempt at a clamber back into politics as with substance... That said, he might end up as an advisor to Barack Obama, should he be elected, which is a truly terrifying thought...

"But the main portion of the film, on climate science, did not breach these rules" says the report... No **** by the way... How can the science breach posibly have breached rules, when it is science?

As for Ofcom taking a side on the science of human input to climate change, that is an absolute disgrace "Ofcom's logic is that "the link between human activity and global warming... became settled before March 2007"."
That is truly terrifying, that a regulator can be influenced to a political agenda and therefore potentially prevent factual counters to the ludicrous concept of humans contributing to climate change

This alone takes news reporting on television to a whole new level, where the only way to stay on the side of the operator is to preach lies to scare current and future generations into thinking that putting your cardboard in a different coloured bin will make everything better...

Next thing we know only the party in power will be allowed to broadcast PPB's...

Madness
Old 21 July 2008, 07:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

But the government are having "An inconvenient truth" shown in secondary schools...............as part of the curriculum
Talk about brainwashing

Alcazar
Old 21 July 2008, 09:00 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PeteBrant

The high court ruled that Al Gore's mocumentary didn't give a balanced view either, so thats 1:1 then.

BBC NEWS | Education | Gore climate film's nine 'errors'

Quick Reply: The Great Global Warming Swindle....swindle