Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New build flats -ouch!!

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2008, 09:35 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New build flats -ouch!!

Flat in Docklands built by St James (high end quality builder) sold in 2005 for £460k. Sold last week at auction for £360K

Now that is a proper butt spanking if ever I saw one
Old 18 July 2008, 09:37 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

You ain't seen nothing yet
Old 18 July 2008, 09:38 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

To quote Dylan - the times they are a changing
Old 18 July 2008, 09:39 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

this could turn into a song title thread hahahaha
Old 18 July 2008, 09:40 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

10% interest rates are slowly creeping up on the UK economy.
Old 18 July 2008, 10:03 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

House 2 doors down from me was up for sale at £365k....they have now dropped the price to £299k to try and sell.

Still no takers. Bit of a nuisance as we are trying to sell as well, we just can't afford to knock £66k off the price of our house !!

Shaun
Old 18 July 2008, 10:13 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

If that's the going rate then you're gonna have to.

or not sell.

check this out to find out what properties near you REALLY sell for, not what you saw them advertised at!
Free UK Sold House Prices - Nethouseprices.com
Old 18 July 2008, 10:17 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
10% interest rates are slowly creeping up on the UK economy.
i've not heard that one.... whos it by ??

sounds like Billy Bragg

Old 18 July 2008, 10:24 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
House 2 doors down from me was up for sale at £365k....they have now dropped the price to £299k to try and sell.

Still no takers. Bit of a nuisance as we are trying to sell as well, we just can't afford to knock £66k off the price of our house !!

Shaun
That's an indication that your house was way overpriced to begin with surely, that £66k or so was never really real.

If you are moving up the ladder, then buying when there is a crash is more beneficial for you.

Just as an example.....

£300k loses 20% = £60k, new price £240k
£400k loses 20% = £80k, new price £320k

Without the crash, you will have needed to fork out £100k for your next house, even though you've ''lost'' say £60k, you've just ''gained'' £20k as the £100k price difference is now only £80k.

Crashes are not bad, everyone should be wanting property to plummet as we will all gain from it moving up the ladder, higher end properties fall more than lower end properties

It's all a mental thing, my house is worth £xxx amount that people cant get away from.

Last edited by Mitchy260; 18 July 2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 18 July 2008, 10:29 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

At the risk of sounding like a gloating "I told you so" nobber, I have no sympathy for those that bought houses at over inflated prices and are now have to pay the penalty.
Old 18 July 2008, 10:30 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Much worse then that around. For example the idiots that bought new build apartments in Leeds as 'buy to let investments' two years ago for 'discounted' £180K. Can't let them - can't afford the repayments.

Tried to sell at auction but failed to even reach the reserve of £80K

Now that's a spanking.
Old 18 July 2008, 10:42 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mitchy

They (the neighbours) have knocked off so much money as they are very keen to sell as they have retired to Spain / Florida and want rid of their property. Even at the knockdown price it's having no takers.

I'm not moving up the ladder I just want a similar house nearer to my lad's school to stop him having to travel so much. The problem is that property prices nearer to his school are staying static or in some cases rising !!

Shaun
Old 18 July 2008, 10:51 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Much worse then that around. For example the idiots that bought new build apartments in Leeds as 'buy to let investments' two years ago for 'discounted' £180K. Can't let them - can't afford the repayments.

Tried to sell at auction but failed to even reach the reserve of £80K

Now that's a spanking.

Are you trying to compare the size of your spanking?

Seriously though, the difference is that the flat I quoted is in a 'desirable' part of London (not to me though) with excellent transport links and loads of jobs on the door step.

The ones in Leeds probably don't have these attributes.

Just shows how over priced the new builds were, I could never figure out why you would pay half a million £ for a 2 bed flat in a place thats right next to one of the poorest, most deprived areas in the UK ie Tower Hamlets. High crime, schools where 80% don't have english as their first language

I can see the City boys taking it right up the Gary Glitter ie jobs gone or bonuses wiped out and their Docklands flats losing 100s of £k
Old 18 July 2008, 11:05 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

If you think thats bad you want to see some business properties, they are getting dire now - I saw a place recently reduced from over a million to 400k. And its still not selling!!
Old 18 July 2008, 11:10 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

The best news of all though is that the large city house that Blair and his horrible wife bought (boasting in her book that they had a mortgage 'the size of Krakatoa') is plummeting in value.

They paid £3.6 million for it a couple of years ago. Another house in the same terrace recent sold for just £2.1 million leaving them with potential negative equity of around £1.5 million to go with their huge mortgage.

There's a silver lining to every cloud.
Old 18 July 2008, 12:10 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

The best news of all though is that the large city house that Blair and his horrible wife bought (boasting in her book that they had a mortgage 'the size of Krakatoa') is plummeting in value.

They paid £3.6 million for it a couple of years ago. Another house in the same terrace recent sold for just £2.1 million leaving them with potential negative equity of around £1.5 million to go with their huge mortgage.

Since he was part architect of this 'crash' you would have thought he would have seen it coming and stayed in cash and then picked up the bargains. Shows just how bad Labour are with money
Old 18 July 2008, 12:14 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

With you on that one mate, i HATE the blairs, they deserve everything they get!
Old 18 July 2008, 12:17 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Love it
Im sure TB will just ask for a pay rise or claim it back somehow lol

Now all I wanna hear is the cowboy developers near me are losing hand over fist and I will be real happy
Old 18 July 2008, 12:21 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

to be honest, the whole house price economy compleatly baffles me, but i was very nearly suckered into the SN massifs "if you dont buy now the prices will never come down" bull**** from last year, i nearly jumped on the bandwagon and bought the place next door to me, but held off.

soooooooooooooo glad i did, word of advice, what ever the "SN Massif" says, do the opposite and you will probably be ok
Old 18 July 2008, 01:00 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome
At the risk of sounding like a gloating "I told you so" nobber, I have no sympathy for those that bought houses at over inflated prices and are now have to pay the penalty.
We moved house last year.Put down a £50k deposit.

Reckon we have lost that £50k but we never really had it in the first place....if you know what I mean (nice when you can smile about things like that)

Suppose as to the thread,interesting that the mythical land of £350,000 ex council houses (London) is having a kick in the nuts.

(Scots will be along soon to say 'its skyrocketing still where we are though')
Old 18 July 2008, 01:24 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
to be honest, the whole house price economy compleatly baffles me, but i was very nearly suckered into the SN massifs "if you dont buy now the prices will never come down" bull**** from last year, i nearly jumped on the bandwagon and bought the place next door to me, but held off.

soooooooooooooo glad i did, word of advice, what ever the "SN Massif" says, do the opposite and you will probably be ok
I was always a property doomsayer. I predicted it would reach saturation point a good number of years ago, saying it would happen in x number of years....

I'm just going to have a quick search to see how many years I stated in my predictions, just so that I can be extra smug if I got the number of years in my forcasts right

Old 18 July 2008, 01:38 PM
al4x1
Scooby Regular

auction prices at the moment aren't anything to go by, there simply aren't buyers out there willing or able to commit to buying hence some very low headline prices. Its hard if you have to sell as the vultures are circling but the sensible people are sitting tight. First positive move was the nationwide dropping rates the banks depend on new mortgage business, so when they want to lend which it appears the Nationwide is showing signs of then we may see a kick start. I'd love to be buying now and may buy another if it keeps going a little longer and I can get the current renovation a bit closer to being finished.

One thing confuses me though, no one is buying and allegedly no one is renting as buy to lets are sitting empty so why do we need the 100's of thousands of new build houses the government are trying to build
Old 18 July 2008, 02:02 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by al4x1
One thing confuses me though, no one is buying and allegedly no one is renting as buy to lets are sitting empty so why do we need the 100's of thousands of new build houses the government are trying to build
Lots of people (esp <30yrs) are sharing with friends/family/parents etc.
Old 18 July 2008, 02:03 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
If that's the going rate then you're gonna have to.

or not sell.

check this out to find out what properties near you REALLY sell for, not what you saw them advertised at!
don;t believe all you read on there...
Old 18 July 2008, 02:07 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billythekid
If you think thats bad you want to see some business properties, they are getting dire now - I saw a place recently reduced from over a million to 400k. And its still not selling!!
any chance you c ould let me know where that is by pm please billythekid? obviously money will change hands if i benefit from that knowledge
Old 18 July 2008, 02:17 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro

Well the last two properties i've bought and sold, the prices on that site are bob on
Old 18 July 2008, 02:21 PM
al4x1
Scooby Regular

same here, its taken from the actual sold figures so is the only accurate source.

All the rest are estate agent figures plucked from somewhere that appears to be fresh air, the sold prices always have tended to be pretty different depending how optimistic the agent was

Quick Reply: New build flats -ouch!!