Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

United Devices Cancer Research - now looking for Anthrax instead

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2002, 02:46 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else participating in the United Devices cancer research program (similar to SETI@Home) may not have realised that, by default, their computers are now looking for a cure for Anthrax instead.

You can go onto the UD site and change back - but it would have been nice to have been told by email before the fact.
Old 04 February 2002, 02:53 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Hmmm yeah i had spotted that but didnt realise you could change back ! I think my machines will go back to cancer then !
Old 04 February 2002, 04:00 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Give me the address for that please guys. Is that one of those that you down load, process. upload?

If so I'll join in. With ADSL and two pc's that stay idle quite a lot we may be able to help.

David
Old 04 February 2002, 04:32 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

http://www.ud.com/home.htm
Old 05 February 2002, 09:55 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Question

Ian / Scud

Questions if you don't mind?

1. I thought I would download some 'stuff' log off, let my PC chew at it then upload it ?

2. All I get is the UD window with some cool grafics on the application tab - am I doing it right ? % indicator is going up slowly.

3. I would rather go to bed without my pc on line (DSL connection) and let it help - is this possible ?

4. If I snooze, will the app just start where it left off ?

I know I could prob answer these questions by looking on their web site, but you could save me some time please

Cheers

David
Old 06 February 2002, 08:40 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi all,

Maybe it's about time this project got a bit more publicity here on ScoobyNet again, I've seen lots of new members join over the last year that probably don't know about the project or the Impreza WWW owners team?

Shark (and others): here's how it works...

You download the agent from ud.com, give it some basic information about your Net connection and the amount of disc space it can use. It then downloads a chunk of data from the central server, and sits there in the background processing it. This can take many hours, or even a day or more, per molecule, so don't worry about it.

Once it's finished processing everything, it waits for the next time you connect to the Internet, then it uploads the result of its calculations, and downloads a fresh chunk of data to process. At any time you can shut down your PC, and it'll save all its work-in-progress ready to pick up next time you start up.

In short, once you've installed the agent, you can just forget about it. It's possibly one of the most unintrusive pieces of software I've ever used, it's never caused any problems that I'm aware of, and it even knows to conserve power if you're running it on a laptop with battery.

I've just checked my device profile and all my PCs are set to work on the cancer project only, so I don't think it's necessarily the case that everyone is automatically put onto the anthrax project. I'll be keeping an eye on it, though.

The Impreza WWW owners team (made up of members from Scoobynet, IWOC, I-club and the Dutch Subaru Club) has 303 current members and has donated over 115 years of CPU time to the project so far. It ranks #41 in terms of 'points' (a measure of useful work done) out of 23,777 teams in total, which is a fantastic achievement. Interesting teams that we're ahead of include 'Compaq', 'IBM', 'France', 'University of Oxford', 'Finland', ' Hewlett Packard', 'Cisco Employees', and so the list goes on.

To join the Impreza owners team, visit
http://members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=4B4667E4-95B8-4747-800F-F7E54398A3C2

Andy.
Old 06 February 2002, 09:22 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Its a shame they don't have a Unix version, as Im currently doing Seti at around 10 units a day