Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Top Gear, wrecking cars

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2008, 08:55 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top Gear, wrecking cars

Ok, its only a few old bangers but it seems a shame to wreck Alfa Spiders to me, never mind the other ones, that black 75 was nice before as well, as was last weeks Fiat Coupe.

I mean nobody will really miss them but its not like they are destroying old Mondeos or Nissan Bluebirds !
Old 06 July 2008, 08:58 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spiders are horible looking cars . the 75 even though it is square its mean looking
Old 06 July 2008, 09:06 PM
shawn r
Scooby Regular

how bad was it that may just buggered off and left them both.
Old 06 July 2008, 09:16 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Once upon a time I'd have killed for a 75 Veloce
Old 06 July 2008, 09:26 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

When is this going to be on the iPlayer?!
Old 06 July 2008, 09:28 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

people get too precious about a bunch of tin..

that's why I hate show and shine (mirrors under cars - ****) & concours plebs

drive the car, enjoy it, have fun and then scrap it when it's no longer worth running!
Old 06 July 2008, 09:45 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

never watched it,hardly do anymore,but dont tell me, they spent 20 mins on a skletch smashing up cars to provesome crap that made some more crap and made the show even more boring

topgear is only watched because people like watchin cars get wrecked/they can drive cars like we dream without the worry of being done by plod
Old 06 July 2008, 09:51 PM
Volks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shawn r
I`d have done the same to be honest, once was funny, twice not so funny, the third time Hammond (true to form) was just plain annoying.
Old 06 July 2008, 09:52 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

I thought it was hilarious!! The Alfa's getting wrecked - I mean, come on, Alfa's are ***te when they leave the factory!!

The Bentley being abused was NOT funny however, and then when it blew a rear tyre because Clarkson was driving it like a ****!! Mad!!

Overall, though .... very enjoyable
Old 06 July 2008, 09:53 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

Hated the show tonight! That is a first form me with Top Gear. As soon as Hammond drove up and opened his door onto May's car I shouted "Oh f*** off". I am fed up with seeing hammond do the same routine every time one of these "Buy a car for a grand" pieces is on the show. There is no pretence at trying to seem competative or genuinly trying to find the car their brief requires. Funny the first couple of times but not EVERY time
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
people get too precious about a bunch of tin..

that's why I hate show and shine (mirrors under cars - ****) & concours plebs

drive the car, enjoy it, have fun and then scrap it when it's no longer worth running!
Yes, I dont like concourse either, those annoying gimps in Performance Ford that get a Sierra Cosworth and chrome the underside, WTF !

But, they wrecked three cars I would quite like to own, that still looked half decent before they started, plus it wasn't even very good.
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by shawn r
You do realise that this is just TV and not real?

Last edited by what would scooby do; 06 July 2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06 July 2008, 10:00 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

Wink

it was a great episode as usual. I chose to watch top gear last week too, instead of a bunch of actors minching around playing football.

never quite got concours- ditto people on here spending all day polishing their cars- its only a car !!!!!!!!!!

I remember going to vw shows years ago- with people having detailed the inside of brake drums and showing them with the drum off etc to show painted shoes !!!

have these people never held a woman in their lives, or found anything normal adult people do- grow up !!!!!!!!!
Old 06 July 2008, 10:05 PM
Kuohu
Scooby Regular

Certainly a shame that The Stig didn't get a go in the Bentley. And the thing with the Alfas took up far too much of the show.
Old 06 July 2008, 10:05 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

have these people never held a woman in their lives, or found anything normal adult people do- grow up !!!!!!!!!
Ironic coming from a guy who didn't watch the final of one of the best European Championships in years

Priceless
Old 06 July 2008, 10:21 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

I thought last week’s show wasn't too bad (actually done more reviewing car type stuff, or driving cars rather than dick'n about the whole time).

This week got a bit pathetic IMO. When James started coming out with "we were each given £1000 to ...... bla bla" I thought oh here we go and as already mentioned when the hamster wacked his door on may's car and kept bumping into him, I mean FFS!! When he was trying to do his own "arty" camera work and drove through the camera I didn't see that coming!!!

They need to pick it up otherwise it will go downhill fast, if it's not already.
Old 06 July 2008, 10:52 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
But, they wrecked three cars I would quite like to own, that still looked half decent before they started, plus it wasn't even very good.
You sure about the Spider?, nothing worked it was horrendous inside.

And i'm pretty sure they would have put the Bentley round the track, i would imagine Bentley put a stop to that. Would have liked to have seen if the blow out damaged the body work, possibly a cause for no quick lap.
Old 06 July 2008, 11:16 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

That was the worst episode of Top Gear i've seen in a long time. The guests were boring, the Bentley "test" was pointless and the £1k car thing was cringeworthy.

I think Top Gear has had it's day in it's current format and needs some new creative talent to freshen it up.
Old 07 July 2008, 01:20 AM
dave247
Scooby Regular

Its been going downhill for a good few seasons IMO, the last good season was the one with the toyota hilux. Its getting to the point where i would rather watch Fifth Gear
Old 07 July 2008, 07:43 AM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy
That was the worst episode of Top Gear i've seen in a long time. The guests were boring, the Bentley "test" was pointless and the £1k car thing was cringeworthy.

I think Top Gear has had it's day in it's current format and needs some new creative talent to freshen it up.
I've got to agree, used to really look forward to and enjoy TG but not any more.
Old 07 July 2008, 09:25 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy

I didn't mind the Bentley test. Nice car. Big, but very nice.
If I was that rich, I'd have one of them over a Rolls every time.

Didn't see the guest part. Always go for a p1ss, make a cup of tea, av a w*nk. Anything other than watch the quest plug his/her latest book/tv show etc.

£1000 Alfa thing? I don't know. I quite enjoyed it. Agree with above comments though. Hammond was just plain annoying with the driving into the back of May all the time. Think May was genually annoyed.
Old 07 July 2008, 09:33 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I like Top Gear and look forward to it on Sunday. Probably one of the first televission programs that I make an effort to see either at the right time or soon after.

The guests this week were slightly better than the others in this series: They appear to be going for 'duos' and there are not many that I would want to see. Olsen twins perhaps

The only thing I would say in that something that was a niche feature has started to take over the show a little too much. I enjoyed the Alfa thing, but felt it could have been shorter.

Steve
Old 07 July 2008, 09:56 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Ah well, I liked it. Made me chuckle.

It's the sort of thing I can imagine most people on here would love to do if they had the opportunity.

Thrash around in some supercars and have a laugh wrecking some old cars that someone else paid for.

Fair enough if it doesn't entertain you, turn over, plenty of other channels available to watch.......I bet at least 95% of you tune in next week though!
Old 07 July 2008, 10:00 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I rather enjoyed last nights episode. I actually found it very funny that Hammond kept rear ending May.

As for wrecking the Alfas, a £1k Alfa is not for from the scrap heap anyway.

I suspect whatever TG does, there will always be detractors. Still, there seems to be plenty of people who enjoy it. Personally I've never seen a single episode that I didn't enjoy. It's the only thing on telly that I make a point of watching.
Old 07 July 2008, 10:18 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome
I rather enjoyed last nights episode. I actually found it very funny that Hammond kept rear ending May.

As for wrecking the Alfas, a £1k Alfa is not for from the scrap heap anyway.

I suspect whatever TG does, there will always be detractors. Still, there seems to be plenty of people who enjoy it. Personally I've never seen a single episode that I didn't enjoy. It's the only thing on telly that I make a point of watching.
I'm definitely with you on that, it made me laugh out loud on and off for an hour and not many programmes can do that. It's a bunch of blokes larking about and being silly, which I enjoy. Oh and there are cars in it too which is a bonus

Don't any of you detractors remember the boring and serious car programmes of yesteryear?
Old 07 July 2008, 10:32 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Why do people watch things they don't like and then moan about it afterwards? Bizarre...

Last edited by unclebuck; 07 July 2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07 July 2008, 10:53 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

TG has morphed into something that Graham Norton type fans like to watch. I haven't watched a TG show for more than 2 years now. I bet the same old things happen in each show. Hammond/May racing the latest expensive car exotica against a human down a course with contrived and staged photo ops in between, a has-been celeb with something to plug on the couch after racing a **** car around a course, JC swanning about in a car costing at least £300,000k. Then all three wallies trashing a grands worth of car after driving it for 30 miles beforehand with yet more contrived and staged unfunny slapstick.

Might be good entertainment for Eastenders fans and provide extra revenue from worldwide rites, count me out I'd rather watch paint dry.

They've taken an informative car programme for the enthusiast and turned it into an hour long comic book for 13 year olds.
Old 07 July 2008, 10:56 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Have to agree with those that thought it was funny. I cringed a bit when they started hitting each other at Rockingham though with that amount of expensive metal following close behind just waiting for a bit of debris to hit them.

When the old boy was talking to May at the concours entrance and Clarkson hit him was great. The old boy stepped back thinking WTF

The whole show still (bar the guest slot this series) is just entertainment. Sure they will find it very hard to find new material but lets hope they do.

Oh and they drove past the end of my lane just after May abandoned them too which I didn't know until I watched it.

Quick Reply: Top Gear, wrecking cars