Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

A month of cycling to work

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2008, 10:00 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A month of cycling to work

So, petrol prices and needing some exercise I decided to cycle to work, its been a month now doing 3 or 4 days a week on average, its just over seven miles of Cheshire countryside which is nice.

Had my first drenching today having not bothered if its p1ssing down so far but when you are work and on your bike you have no choice, wasn't so bad, nice hot bath when I got in and was treated to the missus applying fake tan in a most unselfconscious way whilst in the bath

Physically, I have lost 2 pounds, despite my legs getting a bit bigger and being hungrier, I am getting faster, I dont feel like puking after 2 miles anymore and my eyes arent bulging when I get to work, I seem to have developed what I can only describe as "Man Labia" at the interface between **** and seat, this is getting better but several years of Saab seats dont condition your **** for the bike seat, or the **** cleaver fitted to my bike, I want one of those District Nurse foot wide sprung jobs but they look just wrong on a racing bike.

Car Drivers, on my route, by and large have been very patient and courteous, the worst are van drivers followed by big 4 * 4 drivers who get to close and are impatient but basically no unnecessary c*ntiness so far, it does make you angry when you see drivers on mobile phones like the young girl in the Yaris that nearly papped herself when she went down the singletrack road I was using whilst on the phone, obviously uses it as a rather pointless cut through she shat herself when she came round the corner, looked up from her phone and saw the big Orange clad cyclist.

One thing I missed was a rear view mirror, so I bought one for my helmet, £6.95 and it wobbles and is difficult to get right but great when it does, I wouldnt make a maneuver based on its one inch square but its just another tool to use, great to get advanced warning of the quarry truck creeping up on you that you cant hear due to the wind rush.

The bike is coping, I got a new one but sent it back due to binding front brake, bent rotor and out of true wheels, also used it as an excuse to go down a size from XL to L as I felt too stretched out its replacement is due on Monday, Cannondale Bad Boy 700. Currently using a basic Claud Butler road bike which my brother in law gave me, its doing fine.

Only one minor graze so far, I do a farm track an on a downhill bit got lazy, hit a rock which sent me glancing off a tree.

A tank of petrol has lasted 4 weeks so far with just over half left.

Would love to just get something daft with a V8, pre 73 just to confound the governments ideas, it seems mad to pay £800 a year to runa powerful modern car just to do 30 miles a week, however, we will see how I get on in winter.
Old 26 June 2008, 10:02 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes that will be the proof in the pudding
Old 26 June 2008, 10:07 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
yes that will be the proof in the pudding
Eh ?
Old 26 June 2008, 10:10 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

So have you had the horrifying numb d*ck yet? You know that feeling of numb nuts that has just spread..... bane of a cyclists life (apart from the odd 38 tonner trying to kill you, ahem)

I'm doing 14 miles each way at the moment, and for the same reasons - takes a little under an hour to get to work, bit longer on the way home as I just cruise along.

The biggest thing I found was that you really are quicker if you've had a decent breakfast - the energy levels are way higher.

I was quite pleased with my progress and I was tanking down a hill into Derby this morning felling very proud of my 25mph sprint. Looked behind me and there's this 'pro' cyclist just looking at me as if to say "get the hell out of the way fatso" Ahhhhhh..... bugger.

There's some very good winter gear available now - so you'll have no problem with keeping warm and dry in the colder wetter weather. I'm going to be investing in some new kit myself soon as I fully intend to keep the cycling up (and the waistline down!)
Old 26 June 2008, 10:19 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

No, my ***** is still responsive but I am only doing half the distance, must say its a pleasure when the sun is shining and the drivers aren't trying to kill you to badly. Work is great as they have showers and bike sheds, plus they are quite positive and encouraging, despite my bosses initial skepticism about my ability to cycle 14 miles a day, so now I am making a point of telling him to get on with it and bike in seeing as he does the same distance.

Will see how I get on over the next few months, but I like they way it combines exercise with transport and saving money.
Old 26 June 2008, 10:21 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Oh, I meant to ask - have you bought your bike on the cycle to work scheme?

You can save a fortune if you do
Old 26 June 2008, 10:21 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

I've found the last few winters more enjoyable than summer

Less other 'summer fad' cyclists and if your lights are good enough, then drivers seem to give you a bit more respect (probably because they know you are a hard core nutter / a$$hole )

Great sense of satisfaction of beating the elements, good idea to get good waterproofs, good lights and just go for it regardless.......

Combination of these made a huge difference last year (bit pricey) as it was always my feet that got it

Specialized Bg Defroster Winter Boot (£99.95)

Ignore the claim that these will keep your feet dry, in heavy rain they won't, water ingress around the tongue, you need the overshoes to keep you totally dry, but they are brilliant for moderately wet / freezing

Altura Night Vision Overshoe '08 (£29.95)

PS
Set yourself a wind cut off point (check the forecast here
Wind Map - Britain is really accuratefor windspeed) and if it looks like it's going to be gusting above 35-40mph then save yourself some grief, admit defeat and take the car

If you've done it for a month, fair chance you'll get addicted.

Lots of good advice in this thread (and on the forum in general...)

Advice for New Commuters - Bike Forums

obviously american biased but still some knowledgeable commuters. The real hardcore dudes in Alaska are mental....(worth checking out)

Well done by the way for the 1st month

Last edited by SiPie; 26 June 2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 26 June 2008, 10:23 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Oh, I meant to ask - have you bought your bike on the cycle to work scheme?

You can save a fortune if you do
Yes, wouldnt spend £670 on a bike otherwise (Yet).

Would like a really light road bike though at some point.
Old 26 June 2008, 10:31 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I'm determined to keep cycling and realising the money being saved means I'm now seriously looking at decent light kits (I have a 4 mile stretch on an unlit bridle path)

Go look at these images to see how bright you can get lights now!

Solid Lights - LED Cycle and Mountain Bike Lights
Old 26 June 2008, 10:32 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Sipie, what kind of distance are you doing ?

I am hoping to do it all year round and agree about the wind, apaprt fromthe added danger its just soul destroying ploughing uphill into a headwind, but then again its character building...

I have always loved cycling but with a family its getting the opportunity, I ended up contracting with Amec, and moved offices from 18 miles away to 7 miles away which has enabled me to start, took a while to do it but its been good so far, might not bother tomorrow though as all my stuff is p1ss wet through after tonight but shall rethink in the morning. It does make you appreciate you car for the indulgent luxury/privilege it really is.

Will get some really powerful lights as I can see what you mean about cycling in darkness as when lit and reflective you are more of a contrast than when its light and the nutter/hardcore thing probably does help.
Old 26 June 2008, 10:33 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
I'm determined to keep cycling and realising the money being saved means I'm now seriously looking at decent light kits (I have a 4 mile stretch on an unlit bridle path)

Go look at these images to see how bright you can get lights now!

Solid Lights - LED Cycle and Mountain Bike Lights
Thats what I am after, my Halfords ones wont cut it in winter !
Old 26 June 2008, 10:35 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bikes, Bike Reviews, Cycling Routes, Race News | BikeRadar.com

Have a look at sdg bel air or charge spoon saddles, both are regarded as being very comfortable.

As for numb bits wear a padded lycra liner underneath naturally you go commando.

You learn fast what works best for you, have a nose at the dhb gear on wiggle, it's cheap and good quality for the price.

www.wiggle.co.uk
Old 26 June 2008, 10:38 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
A month of cycling to work
Any more than an hour each way and that is just ridiculous, surely?
Old 26 June 2008, 10:43 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Sipie, what kind of distance are you doing ?
It's a meagre 20 mile return trip (uphill all the way home....good old Scotland), only missed 3 days last year due to gale force winds in January

Record to work (9.68 miles...mostly downhill) was 23mins 50 secs
Record home was 29 mins 32 secs

Took the computer off this year as found I was getting too competetive with myself and starting to curse at red lights and taking risks etc, suddenly thought WTF, i just want to get to and from work, much more chilled now

It's just brilliant geting exercise in what was effectively 'dead commuting time', I only wished i'd started doing it years ago.

PS When thinking of buying lights, waterproofing has been the biggest issue for me, as all mine seem to start shorting after a winter, pays to spend a bit extra

Last edited by SiPie; 26 June 2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 26 June 2008, 10:49 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Been doing round trips of just under 14 miles myself lately to work (incl a big **** off hill at the end of my return journey), really really enjoying it.
When I'm in the scoob now I enjoy it more as I'm not raking up miles just driving to work and I'm at the petrol station less and less which pleases me as it's less money in the ******* governments pockets (at least for a while!)

I got rid of my now very old Claud Butler mountain bike from school and bought a new Claud Butler Urban bike (been so long since I'd really done any cycling that I didn't even know about urban bikes!).

I find challenging myself with improving my times really exciting. Got into work the other day sweating my bollox off as I'd got the red mist going trying beat my time in.
Also it's nice just to potter along at times. Last week I'd finished late in the evening and had a very relaxing ride home. I play music on the speaker on my mobile for company (also works as an early warning for people in front off me) and it's great

Need to sort out some waterproofs now

Well done Jacko.
Old 26 June 2008, 10:53 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Any more than an hour each way and that is just ridiculous, surely?
Wide load you see
Old 26 June 2008, 10:57 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
I want to know what you're doing wearing an orange on a bike ...?!!!

Dave
Hoping drivers of vehicles larger than prams can see me !

I have been wearing a free work t shirt declaring that I am a "SQL Server Superhero", its a snug large (cheap) and its fluorescent orange so I dont care if it identifies me as not being part of a hedgerow, I want to clash with the natrual colours not the cars and tractors, I also wear a bright yellow jacket bib type thing, which makes me look I am off for night out with Astraboy
Old 26 June 2008, 10:58 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Wide load you see
From 3 counties away.
Old 26 June 2008, 11:06 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

thrice weekly sojourn thro leafy cheshire suburbs sounds quite appealing
Old 26 June 2008, 11:30 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

considered this (8 mile commute mostly along A road) as we just lost half the parking spaces at work, then realised 16 miles a day is just under half a gallon, then having to carry laptop and not having a bike and no scheme at work it just wasn't worth it.

good for fitness but not a lot else
Old 27 June 2008, 12:56 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am thinking of doing this to, but you've only lost 2pounds in a month? Not enough to motivate me. Sbe more weight loss than that surely. You obviously aren't cycling hard or fast enough
Old 27 June 2008, 07:48 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The thing I find about days when I cycle in is that the day goes more quickly, I get more done and I look forward to the jpurney to/from work

It isn't just about the weight loss - that will steadily come, it's the increased fitness and you get a chance to relax

After I got onto a bridlepath yesterday on the way into work, I actually stopped just to take it in all - it was gorgeous... sunny morning, quiet, birds in the trees, flowers. I tell you it was like a picture postcard moment. You just don't get that in the car.

My 14 miles each way saves me a gallon a day. It adds up.
Old 27 June 2008, 08:26 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Not enough weight loss, not enough saving on petrol ?

Regarding the weight loss, it depends how much you have to loose along with increasing food intake a little and increased muscle mass in the biggest muscles in the body. Plus you use the car and there is no weight loss, and anway, I have only lost 2 pounds but I havent gained my normal four or five

Petrol savings aren't massive but it depends on the distance you are doing and how economical your car is, the car sits at home some it doesn't use tyres, brakes or bump it nearer the next service so its not just petrol, also if you get into buying all the cycle gear its easy to do away with any saving but as Kieran said it is nice to stop to take in the view if on a nice route and you arrive feeling more awake (you have to be) and ready for the day.

If you combine your commuting by bike with other ways to save fuel like driving more economically, walking to the shops rather than going in the car and combining journeys it can save a lot, which just puts us back where we started and lines the pockets of speculators, Arab Trillionaires and oil companies, I like not being as reliant on oil and bothered about the latest price rise mentioned on the news yesterday, I really hope usage starts to come down and alternatives are developed more quickly, in the meantime its lard powered vehicles that are the way forward...
Old 27 June 2008, 09:05 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Got to laugh at the negatives being thrown in here to justify some people's laziness

Only lose 2lb's a month .......

Do the maths, that's a stone and a half in a year and you've got to remember that you are building some heavy muscle initially, so your body is going through a real positive change even if it's only initially losing a few pounds

considered this (8 mile commute mostly along A road) as we just lost half the parking spaces at work, then realised 16 miles a day is just under half a gallon, then having to carry laptop and not having a bike and no scheme at work it just wasn't worth it.

good for fitness but not a lot else
half a gallon a day = roughly £690 a year, not to mention wear and tear on car, tyres, brakes, plus mileage saving re re-sale of car etc etc etc etc

For a start, I used to get 4500 miles (incidentally my annual commute is circa 4600 miles) from a set of goodyear Eagle F1's and around the same mileage from a set of front brake pads on the impreza. Oh look Another rough saving of £600

Plenty panniers built specifically to carry laptops

No bike to work scheme

Doesn't exactly have to be an elite racing bike, plenty of good hybrid/mtb's on ebay or gumtree 2nd hand for under £100

As for, good for fitness and not a lot else,

if living up to on average 20 years longer is the only benefit to fitness ...(well, unless you get taken out by a dutch LHD Tulip delivery lorry) Stats show this to be the case if you cycle for 30 mins each day (not including better mental health and alertness) then I guess you are correct

Just get out there and do it, you'll spend a few more quid initially on food and accessories but it starts paying for itself pretty quick

Last edited by SiPie; 27 June 2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 27 June 2008, 09:30 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Oh, and don't forget the biggest bonus of being on a bike:

You are officially allowed to take the moral high ground in ANY situation and hurl abuse at drivers
Old 27 June 2008, 09:58 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

You are officially allowed to take the moral high ground in ANY situation and hurl abuse at drivers
Absolutely

Nobody mentioned the environment yet ?
Old 27 June 2008, 10:09 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I have quite a short journey to work. Only 3 miles all downhill to work but all uphill going home. I'm doing 3-4 out of 5 but I'm not into foul weather riding.

My wife drives to my daughters school. I ride with my daughter to her school. Daughters bike gets bundled into the wifes car and she drives on to work (we park in the same car park) I cycle on down to work.

I have to pick my daughter up from creche after work so try not to look like I'm about to puke on a nipper (I know its not far but its so bloody steep). Plonk her on my saddle and I walk home trying not to look like jelly legs.

I will get up the hill without getting off. I get further and further up it every day.

Got both our bikes on cycle scheme. Mine last year and doing it again for the wifes. I actually prefer hers.

As for saving money. My 4.0L Jeep has used one segment in a week. It can use nearly 1 segment doing the same journey I bike!
Old 27 June 2008, 11:09 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie
For a start, I used to get 4500 miles (incidentally my annual commute is circa 4600 miles) from a set of goodyear Eagle F1's and around the same mileage from a set of front brake pads on the impreza.
You need to adjust your driving style - somethings not quite right.
Old 27 June 2008, 12:02 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

You need to adjust your driving style - somethings not quite right.
Driving style has calmed alot recently....

The inner and outer edges feathered really quickly on the F1's (geometry was spot on), however, could eek 7000 miles from a set of Toyo Proxes

However, an average of 16.7mpg over the 36,000 miles that I owned the car for probably tells it's own story........it was for fun after all and I did most of my driving on country back roads very late at night around the Scottish Borders ......or on track

Admittedly, the miles done commuting wouldn't exactly hurt the car to the same extent, sitting crawling in traffic zzzzZZzzz

Aaaah, those were the days

Quick Reply: A month of cycling to work