Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scared to go near kids

How true is this? Doesnt bode well for the future does it

BBC NEWS | UK | Adults 'scared to go near kids'
Old 26 June 2008, 09:40 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I have to say it hasn't affected me in the slightest. I've always been good with kids, anybodies kids and when I interact with them I don't think "ooh people might think I am a paedophile"

It's the media that are to blame, with thier "Sarahs Law" and lynch mob mentality.

And irony of ironies they are now reporting that adults are too scared to interact with children because of a situation they created.
Old 26 June 2008, 10:54 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Sign of the times I'm afraid.
If I came across a young child in distress I'm sorry to say but I think I'd walk away. Sound horrible but ...........

All it takes is for the parents or just a passer by to see you approach the child even though your intension are good and you're looking out for the welfare of the child, to be labeled a Pedophile. What happens then? Dad comes running over fists flying. Why risk being attacked, beaten or worse for being a good citizen? Not me.

There was a thread on here months ago regarding the McCann disappearance when some pillock on here admitted grabbing a woman by the throat for touching his daughter, and openly said that even if he lost his daughter and someone went to aid his missing child, that he would attack first, ask questions later.

Says it all really.
Old 26 June 2008, 11:01 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Sign of the times I'm afraid.
If I came across a young child in distress I'm sorry to say but I think I'd walk away. Sound horrible but ...........

All it takes is for the parents or just a passer by to see you approach the child even though your intension are good and you're looking out for the welfare of the child, to be labeled a Pedophile. What happens then? Dad comes running over fists flying. Why risk being attacked, beaten or worse for being a good citizen? Not me.

There was a thread on here months ago regarding the McCann disappearance when some pillock on here admitted grabbing a woman by the throat for touching his daughter, and openly said that even if he lost his daughter and someone went to aid his missing child, that he would attack first, ask questions later.

Says it all really.
It doesn't say it all though does it. It's one negative example. I think from reading some of your other posts your anti kids, sorry if I got that wrong, but thats the position I'd expect someone with that attitude to take.

As a parent, if one of my kids went missing, I would hope she would be found by one of the vast majority of people who would do the right thing. That person would have my life long gratitude, not a hand round the throat. People like that are as rare as the adults who'd do a child harm.
Old 26 June 2008, 11:13 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
It doesn't say it all though does it. It's one negative example. I think from reading some of your other posts your anti kids, sorry if I got that wrong, but thats the position I'd expect someone with that attitude to take.
Well yes you are right, I don't particually like kids, but that is not why I wouldn't help.

As a parent, if one of my kids went missing, I would hope she would be found by one of the vast majority of people who would do the right thing. That person would have my life long gratitude, not a hand round the throat. People like that are as rare as the adults who'd do a child harm.
You say that, but imagine you're at a shopping centre. You lose your child and are franticly looking for them. You spot your child walking away hand in hand with a grown man. What goes through your mind now?

A) Thank god that gentleman has found my child in distress and is obviously taking her to a help desk or a security guard.

B) WTF is that man doing with my child. ******* Pedophile is trying to kidnap my daughter. I'll sort that ****** out.

In the moment I'm sure you'd lean more towards `B`. That man could easily be either `A` or `B`. Alot of people today would assume `B` and act accordingly.
Old 26 June 2008, 11:17 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Well yes you are right, I don't particually like kids, but that is not why I wouldn't help.

You say that, but imagine you're at a shopping centre. You lose your child and are franticly looking for them. You spot your child walking away hand in hand with a grown man. What goes through your mind now?

A) Thank god that gentleman has found my child in distress and is obviously taking her to a help desk or a security guard.

B) WTF is that man doing with my child. ******* Pedophile is trying to kidnap my daughter. I'll sort that ****** out.

In the moment I'm sure you'd lean more towards `B`. That man could easily be either `A` or `B`. Alot of people today would assume `B` and act accordingly.
You can be as sure as you want, but you're wrong. At that precise moment my thoughts are " Thank God I've found my daughter ". Anything and everything is secondary to that.

As you don't have kids, I dont expect you to understand.
Old 26 June 2008, 11:18 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Only if you abandon common sense.

The statistical likelyhood would be overwhelmingly be "A", and that what I would assume.
Old 26 June 2008, 11:27 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I can't stand the little snot blowers ... but if I ever found one in distress I'd hold it's hand and either rope in a passing stranger or walk straight up to the first female I saw (preferably a shop assistant) and hand it over to them.....
Old 26 June 2008, 11:39 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is not surprising that this sort of attitude is becoming prevalent with the way things are going at the moment. It is a great shame in my opinion and is yet another example of the way this country is going down the tubes!

I have to say though that if i saw a child in trouble I don't think I could leave it like that and would at least do the same as DCI to protect the child from further problems which could even become quite dangerous. I would be prepared to take the risk and would hope that what I did to help would be taken in a good light.

Les
Old 26 June 2008, 11:42 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Big to both DCI and Leslie.
Old 26 June 2008, 11:44 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
and hand it over to them.....
I nearly got lynched for refering to a friends bundle of joy as IT

Mother "It? It? That's my daughter your refering to as it"

Me "I don't care what it is, get it away from me."

I'd be a great Dad me

Last edited by stilover; 26 June 2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 26 June 2008, 12:00 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
I can't stand the little snot blowers ... but if I ever found one in distress I'd hold it's hand and either rope in a passing stranger or walk straight up to the first female I saw (preferably a shop assistant) and hand it over to them.....

Don't hand it over to me, for God's sake!
Old 26 June 2008, 12:07 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

A few years ago we were at Donnington Park watching the BTCC, my daughter and I had gone to look at the stalls and the food stands, we found a little boy, about 2 1/2 to 3 wandering around crying for his Dad. So I picked him up and quitened him down a bit managed to just get his name out of him. I sent my daughter to fetch a policeman, they came and took him to the police hut they have there. But I must say I was worried what his Dad might have said if he had come back and found me holding his nipper. I dont know if I would do it now ............ probably ask some local female to help.
Old 26 June 2008, 12:07 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Did anyone else see the guy on GMTV discussing this topic this morning.

Apparently his 4 year old daughter brings her friend home, who then strips off and cover their 'bits' with the sliced cucumber he gives them.

Did he not strike anyone else as odd, or is that what kids do these days?
If so thank god i'm not a parent, as i'd class that behaviour as not right at all!!!
Old 26 June 2008, 12:17 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
as i'd class that behaviour as not right at all!!!
I think the same of people who willingly watch GMTV.
Old 26 June 2008, 12:19 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the same of people who willingly watch GMTV.
Lol, i was waiting for the weather to come on.....honest!
Old 26 June 2008, 12:30 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Only recently I found a child wandering and grizzling in the town and couldn't let him wander any further so I spoke to him. It turns out he was lost and so I then asked a lady close by who looked like she wanted to help but like most today didn't actually make a move until I spoke to her.

We then both moved towards where he had come from and waited for a while. Suddenly this loud and uncouth female appeared asking where the **** he'd been, grabbed him and led him away. No thanks, no kiss my ****, no nothing. Still, the little lad was now safe'ish.

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Did anyone else see the guy on GMTV discussing this topic this morning.

Apparently his 4 year old daughter brings her friend home, who then strips off and cover their 'bits' with the sliced cucumber he gives them.

Did he not strike anyone else as odd, or is that what kids do these days?
If so thank god i'm not a parent, as i'd class that behaviour as not right at all!!!
It sounds strange behaviour for children but my wife and 2 of her friends are out on the lawn now in similar attire.
Old 26 June 2008, 12:56 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
It sounds strange behaviour for children but my wife and 2 of her friends are out on the lawn now in similar attire.
Pics?
Old 26 June 2008, 01:09 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I nearly got lynched for refering to a friends bundle of joy as IT

Mother "It? It? That's my daughter your refering to as it"

Me "I don't care what it is, get it away from me."

I'd be a great Dad me

Les
Old 26 June 2008, 01:30 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

well.i came home from work, and found my lad and his mate naked in the front room except for a pair of shorts, (his mate borrowed some shorts off my lad), they were doing wwe wrestling, it was on the telly and my lad was ray misterio or something.,
Old 26 June 2008, 01:35 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
well.i came home from work, and found my lad and his mate naked in the front room except for a pair of shorts, (his mate borrowed some shorts off my lad), they were doing wwe wrestling, it was on the telly and my lad was ray misterio or something.,

WWE wrestling? And you believed that?

Old 26 June 2008, 01:37 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Wink

WWE wrestling? And you believed that?

His lad is 21 years old
Old 26 June 2008, 01:39 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
His lad is 21 years old
And his "mate" is called Juan
Old 26 June 2008, 01:50 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

My take

I always engage with other children if i have my kids with me.

I am more wary if on my own and try to make sure any parent (with the child) is part of the interaction or is aware it is going on and also engage the adult/parent.

Great guide, however (for example) is a child smiles at me whilst queuing at Tescos then i am likely to retuirn the smile rather than look away or ignore.

I would never, ever leave or ignore a child in distress, lost, etc.

I would never touch or man-handle the child unless it was for saftey or such reasons.
Old 26 June 2008, 01:54 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I had to double take there.

Edited
Well I did until 1 post was deleted.

Last edited by stilover; 26 June 2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old 26 June 2008, 02:22 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Old 26 June 2008, 04:18 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
His lad is 21 years old
So? How old is Peter Mandleson?

Sorry Jackos mate, just having a laugh.
Old 26 June 2008, 06:40 PM
New_scooby_04

chances.jpg (image)

Old 26 June 2008, 07:23 PM
MickWrx
Scooby Regular

Location: Wset Yroksrhie posts: 82,555 - total _____ Avg monthly

I too could not pass a child alone in distress, nor would I stand by while a male youth beat a girl in the street, equally I would stop for a body laid at the roadside.

talk is cheap but I have done all the above, quite recently too, funny thing is I did not feel special or scared just right, actually thought how could so many people drive,walk past sleep at night.

The young man I stopped for had suffered an epileptic fit outside a petrol station, and the girl (separate incident) was getting beaten on by a drunken boyfriend, all well that ends well I guess.

Daft,Angelic, exposing myself to danger or prosecution ?

I would just kinda hope I am normal human being with a conscience, I would pray someone would stop to pick my daughter up off the floor or god forbid stop her being beaten on.
Old 26 June 2008, 07:36 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Yep you cant bollock kids anymore, you have to go round and slap the parents instead...

The world has gone mad.

Quick Reply: Scared to go near kids