Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2008, 09:10 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Positive discriminsation

BBC NEWS | Business | Law 'will ban age discrimination'
Originally Posted by BBC
Under plans to make workplaces more diverse, Ms Harman wants to allow employers to appoint people specifically because of their race or gender.

The proposals would only apply when choosing between candidates equally qualified for the job.

But it means, for example, women or people from minorities could be hired ahead of others in order to create a more balanced workforce.
Now you all know me as a looney lefty, but I cannot for the life of me see what the government hope to acheive with this meaure other than resentment.

You either have equality, or you don't - Positive discriminsation, is still discrimination. It is choosing one person over another because of thier gender, race or sexuality and it is wrong.

There should be one criteria when choosing between candidtates for employment - Who is best for the job.
Old 26 June 2008, 09:14 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Im pretty sure this is in fact based on an EU directive, but would have to check that
Old 26 June 2008, 09:20 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Outrageous

But hardly comes as a surprise from this government.
Old 26 June 2008, 09:29 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

No such word ..!
Old 26 June 2008, 09:37 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
Im pretty sure this is in fact based on an EU directive, but would have to check that
The EU has an anti Age/Race discrimination directive, which is right, it should have one, but I think the Positive discriminsation part is all us.
Old 26 June 2008, 09:46 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

So, people will no longer be promoted on the basis of ability, but rather their sex or ethnic origin.

Will this not make it even more difficult for women and ethnic minorities to get a job in the first place?

Many bosses will be (even more?) reluctant to hire any women or ethnic minorities - unless they are exceptionally good - for fear of having to promote them, even if they are rubbish.
Old 26 June 2008, 09:52 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Can you just put the word "positive" in front of anything and make it alright?

Positive racism.
Positive ageism.
Positive murder.
Positive rape.
Positive nazism.

and so on.
Old 26 June 2008, 09:54 AM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

I for one, will not hire any ethnic minorities and never have done. No Gingers either

I had an old boss that said never hire a woman!
Old 26 June 2008, 09:56 AM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant

Now you all know me as a looney lefty, but I cannot for the life of me see what the government hope to acheive with this meaure other than resentment.

You either have equality, or you don't - Positive discriminsation, is still discrimination. It is choosing one person over another because of thier gender, race or sexuality and it is wrong.

There should be one criteria when choosing between candidtates for employment - Who is best for the job.

That hasn't been the case for years, and positive discrimination for race is readily apparent in any institution with ties to or influence from this government (the Police is a prime example of this).

The age angle has its merits, as it is unfortunate that many people over 50, with valuable experience and a good work ethic, find themselves virtually unemployable. Particularly as nowadays employees switch jobs far more frequently than in the good ol' days when the job for life mentality was a reality, so there are no guarantees that whoever you employ will be around longterm anyway.

The race angle is just more insidious political correctness. Who doesn't believe that by saying employers can differentiate between equally competent employees on the basis of race during the recruitment process that what this Government is really doing is applying pressure on employers to recruit more 'ethnic' applicants. Either way, it will certainly keep the legal eagles busy with a predictable increase in the number of cases where employees or new applicants will claim to have failed to get a promotion or be recruited because of their colour.

You might think this Government should have plenty to keep them busy at the moment. Nero and Rome, anyone?
Kevin
Old 26 June 2008, 09:57 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Hang on, everyone is different, so how can any 2 people be 'equally qualified' for the job. One will always be better suited for the role by experience, personality, and other factors that can't be 'qualified'.

I assume this is public sector only?
Old 26 June 2008, 10:10 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A

No, its universal.

I.e.e it will be legal for anybody to hire on the basis of Race or gender or Age. (so long as that Race or gender or age is a minority in that workplace).

Originally Posted by c_maguire
That hasn't been the case for years, and positive discrimination for race is readily apparent in any institution with ties to or influence from this government (the Police is a prime example of this).

The age angle has its merits, as it is unfortunate that many people over 50, with valuable experience and a good work ethic, find themselves virtually unemployable. Particularly as nowadays employees switch jobs far more frequently than in the good ol' days when the job for life mentality was a reality, so there are no guarantees that whoever you employ will be around longterm anyway.

The race angle is just more insidious political correctness
You could argue that the police should have a more representative mix of the racial mix at large.

I don't think you can say that positive age discrimination is "ok" but positive race discriminsation isn't.

Like I say , discrimination is discrimination.
Old 26 June 2008, 10:37 AM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

No, its universal.

I.e.e it will be legal for anybody to hire on the basis of Race or gender or Age. (so long as that Race or gender or age is a minority in that workplace).

You could argue that the police should have a more representative mix of the racial mix at large.

Indeed you can, but if you actively encourage unsuitable applicants on the basis of colour as is demonstrated by the fast-tracking of ethnic minorities in certain areas of the country with large ethnic communities, often leap-frogging more competent white colleagues with more time served etc, then this is flawed logic (and dangerous to boot)

I don't think you can say that positive age discrimination is "ok" but positive race discriminsation isn't.

I am not saying positive age discrimination is OK, what I am saying is older people should have a fair crack of the whip where appropriate (I wouldn't hire a 50 year old on a building site, but in an office why not?).

Like I say , discrimination is discrimination.
And so we agree, give the most appropriate applicant the job. Shame that principle is less often applied nowadays, particularly in the public sector.

Kevin
Old 26 June 2008, 10:39 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

More attempts by Nu Labor to socially engineer society.

When are they going to get the message that we are fed up with the equality and diversity message being rammed down our throats at every given opportunity.

Not until they are drummed finally and humiliatingly from office I suspect.
Old 26 June 2008, 10:49 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

Gender discrimination in favour of women has been here a while.

My eldest lad, three other lads and one girl, got jobs at a local supermarket, let's call them "Wafesay". The jobs were for Christmas.

After Christmas, they were told one could be kept on.

Now my lad had missed ZERO shifts, changed ZERO shifts and worked when told to. he could put out 5 trolley loads of goods per shift.

The girl was constantly changing shifts so as not to have to work Friday or Saturday evenings, had defaulted at least four times, and could put out 2-3 trolley loads per shift.

Have a guess who got the job?

When I was working full-time, a job came up which was promotion for one year. I applied, as did a woman. She was given the job, despite telling the boss she was pregnant and then having 7 months of the job time off with her pregnancy/maternity leave.

And before anyone says it, no I wasn't rubbish!

Alcazar
Old 26 June 2008, 10:54 AM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

WANTED

Old, Black, Female, disabled, lesbian to work in busy planning office with local authority
Old 26 June 2008, 11:03 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mamoon2
I for one, will not hire any ethnic minorities and never have done. No Gingers either

I had an old boss that said never hire a woman!
Our company never hire any minorities either. Too risky. They don't get a promotion, overtime, big enough bonus etc...... It's because I'm *******.

Potential hassel is not worth it. We're a small company so any unrest can easily affect the whole company.

He also won't hire any female of child baring age.
Old 26 June 2008, 11:11 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Social engineering pure and simple.

Life is a competition. There are winners and losers. Get over it.
Old 26 June 2008, 11:32 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
More attempts by Nu Labor to socially engineer society.

When are they going to get the message that we are fed up with the equality and diversity message being rammed down our throats at every given opportunity.

Not until they are drummed finally and humiliatingly from office I suspect.
I am sure however that you have got the message that by now because of their huge majority, they feel that they are more important than anyone else, that they can bring in any controversial law that they want, because it makes them feel more powerful, and that they don't give a stuff for what the country wants or what we think of them anyway.

I agree with every word of Pete Brant's first post of course. It will create nothing but resentment but that is all part of their agenda anyway.

Les
Old 26 June 2008, 11:33 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Just read the thread title, what exactly is discriminSation?
Old 26 June 2008, 11:58 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
Just read the thread title, what exactly is discriminSation?
It's how you spell Discrimination when you have a bacon buttie in one hand
Old 26 June 2008, 12:52 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Now you've made me even more hungry
Old 26 June 2008, 01:14 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Employing ethnic minorities is a bad idea!

They want twice as many "religious" holidays and if something doesnt go their way, like a pay increase or promotion, they play the race card, "its cos im not white, isnt it!"

Take that tw@ of a copper under that tw@ of a copper ian blair, he is asian. THere were 16 other coppers of the same rank on his "patch". Only 6 got a bonus last year, he was one that didnt, so the first thing he does is play the race card "i wasnt given a bonus cos im asian", So hes given a bonus on the sly to shut him up! Then everyone else finds out and refuse to mix with him at all, in or out of work (quite rightly as well), so he sues the police force for racial discrimination and gets 70 grand!

Next year there is a promotion available to said ranking officers, only one opportunity mind you!

Asian bloke didnt get it, so what does he do, play the ******* race card!
There has to be an enquiry, cos of "human rights", and the outcome is a post was created for him "incase" he sues again!

This causes outrage, and his collegues openly take the pi55 out of him all day, every day! Guess what, he sues the police force and gets compo!

What will he sue for next year, his office not facing mecca!

He is not there to do a job, he is there to get as much out of the police force as possible, using the race card to help him!

This is why i will NEVER employ an "ethnic minority" person!

I say get rid of "rascism" all together, and treat everyomne equal!

If i call you a paki, dont run off crying for compensation for the "hate crime" i comitted, call me a honky and be done with it!
Old 26 June 2008, 01:25 PM
New_scooby_04

Pete, you're just not "on message" with that perfectly logical and well argued post! Nu Labia will send the spin docs around shortly: one Peter Lewis!
Old 26 June 2008, 01:26 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Will insurers no longer be able to charge a bigger premium to young drivers because it's 'ageist'?

A lot of the examples on the news last night were old folks unable to get travel insurance. I suppose that the actuaries say that the risk is higher for older people and a claim more likely. So surely their premiums will increase and there is no real benefit
Old 26 June 2008, 01:30 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
Hang on, everyone is different, so how can any 2 people be 'equally qualified' for the job. One will always be better suited for the role by experience, personality, and other factors that can't be 'qualified'.

Now you have to employ hot women, it's the law!!
Old 26 June 2008, 01:35 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I always employed good-looking, young women for my pubs. **** sell beer as far as I'm concerned.
Old 26 June 2008, 01:39 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=PeteBrant;7965396
Now you all know me as a looney lefty...[/QUOTE]

No, nothing could be further from the truth

Is is plain crazy - best person irrespective of race, sex, colour or religion, no exceptions.

All this will mean is that
a) The person will not know if they where best candidate
b) Nor will the people who work with said person

More PC madness!

Quick Reply: Positive discriminsation