Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mobile Phone Insurance - Lost Phone??

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2008, 10:03 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobile Phone Insurance - Lost Phone??

I have just recently took out a new contract on vodafone for the new SE C902 and instead of arguing with the salesman about how i did not want mobile phone insurance @ £9.99pm, i signed up for that too. The cover, covers lost, but surely this is open to a whole load of abuse?

What happens if i lose my phone, report the phone as lost, get sent another brand new £400+ phone and then mysteriously find my 'lost' phone?

Yep i know its illegal and is fraud, this is a hypothetical question.

I have free mobile insurance with my bank so this £9.99 package will be getting cancelled, i was just wondering how the whole lost or even stolen thing normally works.

There are thousands of brand new phones on ebay Are these all ''stolen/lost'' phones??

Do the mobile companies send out IMEI blocks on the phone rendering them useless? How do they do it if the simcard has been removed before reporting it as lost or stolen? (I assume this is how they block a phone?) And what about the chineese man at the market that unblocks phones for a fiver?

I do not plan on doing this, just interested.
Old 25 June 2008, 10:15 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mitchy260
What happens if i lose my phone, report the phone as lost, get sent another brand new £400+ phone and then mysteriously find my 'lost' phone?
Doesn't apply, as you will probably find that in the small print, that loss is only covered if the phone is only considered "lost" if it was taken from a vault in fort knox by the US president.

Never, ever, ever sign up to any form of extended warranty or extra cover, they really are not worth the paper they are written on. This includes "payment protection" on credit cards etc.

(Taking out life cover or critical illness cover on you rmortgage is well worth it though)

Last edited by PeteBrant; 25 June 2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old 25 June 2008, 10:18 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

£9.99 a month for phone insurance !!!
Sod that.

All my phones are insured, but directly with Orange. 24 hour replacement etc. I also have free mobile phone insurance with my bank too. Never used it though, so make sure you read the small print on what they offer, what sort of replacements etc.

Would never buy 3rd party though.

As above, they block the phone, so as far as they are concerned they have stopped it being used again.
Old 25 June 2008, 10:24 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Fortunately the £9.99pm is not a contract and can be cancelled at any time I will be doing so shortly before the direct debit even hits my back account.

Was just wondering where all these brand new phones on ebay are coming from? Suspicions of lost/stolen phones and fraudulent insurance claims to me?
Old 25 June 2008, 10:25 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mitchy260

Was just wondering where all these brand new phones on ebay are coming from? Suspicions of lost/stolen phones and fraudulent insurance claims to me?
Upgrades usually.
Old 25 June 2008, 10:42 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Upgrades usually.
Yup, most definatly in my case anyway lol