Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Backing out of a job contract

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2008, 12:01 AM
rkbycrof
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backing out of a job contract

Could do with some advice. Has anybody ever signed a job contract, and then changed their minds on wanting the job, where do you stand legally, is it possible to back out of the job. This is before you've even started or agreed a start date by the way.

Cheers for any advice!
Old 24 June 2008, 12:25 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Originally Posted by rkbycrof
Could do with some advice. Has anybody ever signed a job contract, and then changed their minds on wanting the job, where do you stand legally, is it possible to back out of the job. This is before you've even started or agreed a start date by the way.

Cheers for any advice!
Legally I am not 100% sure where you stand, but i would say the contract is legally binding as soon as you sign it, but do you have a probation period written into that contract?? It may be that your contract doesnt come into effect until the first day you start work - you will need to read it through to find out.

You need to let the company know asap that you no longer wish to start employment with them - this then gives them the courtesy of being able contacting other potential candidates to offer them the role without muddying their waters, if you know what I mean.

They may well be narked with you, after going through the interview process, and accepting the role, but they will be happier, i should think, in the long run that you leave now rather than say 3 months down the line when you have been trained etc.

we have had people leave 2 days into the job - and it's a right PIA - we would rather they had told us before starting.

Last edited by little-ginge; 24 June 2008 at 12:33 AM.
Old 24 June 2008, 12:43 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Just let them know that you don't want the job. Nothing annoyed me more than when someone simply didn't turn up. And if they didn't return the clothing I'd provided I'd be even more annoyed.
Old 24 June 2008, 12:57 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I did it myself about 6 weeks ago, I explained all my reasons for not taking the job, my employers at the time were also good about it, as they were getting me to stay, but I did actually start another job last monday with another company

There isnt anything they can do, but do what I did and advice them you no longer want the role
Old 24 June 2008, 12:57 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Sonic
Old 24 June 2008, 01:02 AM
rkbycrof
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
I did it myself about 6 weeks ago, I explained all my reasons for not taking the job, my employers at the time were also good about it, as they were getting me to stay, but I did actually start another job last monday with another company

There isnt anything they can do, but do what I did and advice them you no longer want the role
Thats kind of my situation, I accepted and signed for the job, and intended on handing my notice in this week. However, and purely coincidently, I've been offered another role with my current employer which is simply too good to walk away from.
Old 24 June 2008, 01:04 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Can I ask what the job you now don't want?

Trending Topics

Old 24 June 2008, 11:22 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by rkbycrof
Thats kind of my situation, I accepted and signed for the job, and intended on handing my notice in this week. However, and purely coincidently, I've been offered another role with my current employer which is simply too good to walk away from.
Just tell the new employer that. I'm sure they'll be able to easily find someone else, what with massive unemployment looming !
Old 24 June 2008, 11:25 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll at worst have to give notice and I'm sure a company wont bother fighting legally for someone who hasn't even started yet ..
Old 24 June 2008, 08:48 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I had actually give in my notice, then after a few things, thoughts, meetings and emails I decided to stay and rescinded my notice (the fact that the MD never even gave my notice to Payroll is irrelevant, although had I actually have left, then I wouldnt have had my final pay due to no payroll run for leaving)

3 weeks after rescinding my notice I re-resigned giving the same length of notice, and thats when the MD starting ignoring me and being off hand, (more because he found out I was going to a competitor and not the original job I was leaving for)

The company I was going to were pretty good about it, and the new company I work for now were over the moon
Old 24 June 2008, 10:01 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I actually refused to accept a withdrawal of notice last week from one of my (now ex) staff. I didn't want to keep him as he was a poor performer and he handed his notice in during a fit of pique and then 9 days before his last day realised he didn't have another job to go to so expected me to take him back (presumably whilst looking for another job).

Back on topic: do the right thing and withdraw from the role gracefully. They may be a bit pissed off, but not as pissed off if you didn't turn up or left after your first month.
Old 24 June 2008, 10:12 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by little-ginge
we have had people leave 2 days into the job - and it's a right PIA - we would rather they had told us before starting.
Our personal best was one morning in a new job...

A guy joined my team (me being Team Leader) and he went for lunch and never came back.

It took two weeks to find out what happened... then MY boss owned up

Turns out one of the desktop support engineers was chatting to this guy and said to him (real straight laced like) "There's a lot of love in this room and it's aimed at YOU" (with meaningful look in the eyes)

Then (and this was the killer) my boss says to him (while pointing at us lot) "see that lot over there? They're gay and want to do you"

30 mins later he'd gone.
Old 24 June 2008, 10:40 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Our personal best was one morning in a new job...

A guy joined my team (me being Team Leader) and he went for lunch and never came back.

It took two weeks to find out what happened... then MY boss owned up

Turns out one of the desktop support engineers was chatting to this guy and said to him (real straight laced like) "There's a lot of love in this room and it's aimed at YOU" (with meaningful look in the eyes)

Then (and this was the killer) my boss says to him (while pointing at us lot) "see that lot over there? They're gay and want to do you"

30 mins later he'd gone.

No smoke without fire eh??

Old 25 June 2008, 09:11 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put it in writting to the new company that you'll not be starting the job. End of!
At worst they could insist that you start, but why, you'd leave after a week anyway!