Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Am I the ONLY one ....

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2008, 03:50 PM
PetesDad
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Am I the ONLY one ....

......... who realises that the present economic troubles have NOTHING whatsoever to do with Government incompetence?

I do understand that everyone looks around for someone to blame - but the world is in a pickle at the moment - we are not alone.
Old 19 June 2008, 03:55 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Why on Earth do you post this b0llocks?????????????????

I dont think I have ever read a more pointless thread.... in fact give me back the 2 seconds of my life I wasted on it!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 19 June 2008, 04:00 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

NOTHING?

haha - do you live on Planet New Labour or something?
Old 19 June 2008, 04:01 PM
PetesDad
BANNED

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
Why on Earth do you post this b0llocks?????????????????

I dont think I have ever read a more pointless thread.... in fact give me back the 2 seconds of my life I wasted on it!!!!!!!!!!!
2 seconds?

I reckon it took 100 times that to actually post a reply to a thread you consider pointless
Old 19 June 2008, 04:02 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Trying to get another account banned Pete?
Old 19 June 2008, 04:03 PM
PetesDad
BANNED

It appears I AM the only one
Old 19 June 2008, 04:13 PM
mal_howarth
Scooby Regular

Incompetence counts for nothing these days
Old 19 June 2008, 04:15 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PetesDad
It appears I AM the only one
Indeed, even the government accept it.
Old 19 June 2008, 04:16 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

......... who realises that the present economic troubles have NOTHING whatsoever to do with Government incompetence?

I do understand that everyone looks around for someone to blame - but the world is in a pickle at the moment - we are not alone.
Its a combination of global conditions, media sensationalism AND Labour government incompetence. The labour party's handling of and reaction to the elements over which they have no control has also been incompetent.

It would appear that you are the only one who cannot see that.
Old 19 June 2008, 04:26 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I don't think that it is entirely the government's fault: The oil and food price are out of their control.

However, they appear to be incompetent (10% tax, terrorist issues, car tax, immigration) and as such they are being blamed for everything including the soaring cost of living.

Steve
Old 19 June 2008, 04:27 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

once again Pete I refer you to Amazon.co.uk: The Bumper Book of Government Waste 2008: Brown's Squandered Billions: Matthew Elliott, Lee Rotherham: Books

but dont let the facts get in the way of your trolling eh?
Old 19 June 2008, 04:32 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
I don't think that it is entirely the government's fault: The oil and food price are out of their control.
Agreed.Only these two they could not have forseen.

The other million things they have done badly on the home front hasn't helped much.All blatentlt obviously bound to create the mess they are now sitting in
Old 19 June 2008, 04:38 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Trying to get another account banned Pete?
Seems that way
Old 19 June 2008, 04:41 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Wonder what user name he'll pop up with next

You set 'em up Pete and we'll knock 'em down

The webmaster will not save you now as you can't post in policy with your boo-hoo I'm being victimised posts
Old 19 June 2008, 05:33 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Regarding the oil, a lot of is is supposedly down to speculators fukking around with the market to push prices up just so they can make money.... the current price is no way a reflection of supply v demand model.
Old 19 June 2008, 07:35 PM
firesorter
Scooby Regular

Old 19 June 2008, 10:17 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

Old 21 June 2008, 12:26 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Can't let that one go by Pete, even thought it does not deserve an infraction since it in no way contravenes SN rules. About time the management started looking at whether infractions are fair or not and applying stated SN rules to unfair infractors. The same thing happened to Nacro too. There is no way an infraction can be justified just because a person's opinion is different to that of the infractor's.

Of course our present economic troubles are largely down to this load of prats in charge. They did nothing to guard against the downturn that has always followed a period of eceonomic benificence in the world. They have thrown our money in all directions, very little of which has actually done any good for this country. We have the most wasteful bureaucracy ever known, quangos up the ying yang, and the GDP is failing. Flash spent the whole time overborrowing to make things look good and people were encouraged to get into deep debt on cheap loans. Nothing was put aside for the inevitable recession which has arrived. We are now having to buy back the gas at vastly inflated prices which was flogged off earlier just as an example!

Why did he flog off half our gold reserves at a world breaking bottom price Pete? You never have answered that!

With the other recent financial fiascos, we now have only a time of heavy borrowing and high taxation to look forward to with enormous cost rises and still the MP's want a £23K pay rise.

Lets hear a bit of justification for all that from you Pete!

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 21 June 2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 23 June 2008, 11:26 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Can't let that one go by Pete, even thought it does not deserve an infraction since it in no way contravenes SN rules. About time the management started looking at whether infractions are fair or not and applying stated SN rules to unfair infractors.
But you seem to forget Leslie that he got permanent ban and should therefore not be posting at all. On that basis perhaps every single post from any of his new accounts deserves an infraction. He is not wanted here and that is evident.

So infract away as there is nothing he can do about it
Old 23 June 2008, 11:38 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Its still abuse of infraction system....if teh infraction given doesn't correlate to the post's content. People who infract basedf on a user's name, should also recieve an infraction themselves for abusing the system. Or removal of infraction rights.

As they cannot know who that user really is; Only admin can.

The correct course of action is to notify admin via PM or use the RTM (!) button.

Abusing the system just undermines its whole intention.
Old 23 June 2008, 12:11 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Its still abuse of infraction system....if teh infraction given doesn't correlate to the post's content. People who infract basedf on a user's name, should also recieve an infraction themselves for abusing the system. Or removal of infraction rights.

As they cannot know who that user really is; Only admin can.

The correct course of action is to notify admin via PM or use the RTM (!) button.

Abusing the system just undermines its whole intention.
Absolutely right Shark man. If the habit of infracting unfairly is allowed to continue then the whole system will fall into disrepute and SN will be seriously damaged as well.

You would soon get fed up Coffin Dodger if someone took a dislike to you and kept on infracting you just because of that. Would not be very good being banned when you had said nothing outside SN rules would it?

If you read my post again you will see that I included the mention of an infraction for Nacro which was also totally unfair and has been allowed to stand. I am talking about a principle here, nothing to do with the particular person involved, however some may feel about his posts.

If we must have an infraction system, then at least it should be fully regulated according to the stated SN rules.

Les
Old 23 June 2008, 12:52 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

The infraction system is constantly abused - It does not work well, despite assertions that it does.

It is used, 99% of the time as a way of disgareeing with a point of view. rather than any genuine complaint of an abuse of the rules.

We have moderators - It is they that should "moderate", not the users, where an unpopular point of view can be infracted, or a particular person can be set upon , regardless of content.
Old 23 June 2008, 12:56 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

What out Pete...

With the way things are currently going, anyone with the name "Pete" in their user name is at risk.
Old 23 June 2008, 12:58 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
The infraction system is constantly abused - It does not work well, despite assertions that it does.

It is used, 99% of the time as a way of disgareeing with a point of view. rather than any genuine complaint of an abuse of the rules.

We have moderators - It is they that should "moderate", not the users, where an unpopular point of view can be infracted, or a particular person can be set upon , regardless of content.
Old 23 June 2008, 01:03 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
You would soon get fed up Coffin Dodger if someone took a dislike to you and kept on infracting you just because of that. Would not be very good being banned when you had said nothing outside SN rules would it?
To be honest I really wouldn't care, it's only a Internet forum after all, I have more important things to worry about and a normal life to lead (unlike some ). No one knows me personally so if I were banned for that reason I'd either take it as a hint and stop posting or if I felt I was being victimised just start a new account and change my posting style a bit so as not to upset people.

Pete is a special case, many people on here dislike him and for sound reasons, to that end the webmaster saw fit to ban him permanently. Unfortunately he is unable to take a hint and go away mostly because his entire life revolves around this forum, without it he is a nobody. Very sad
Old 23 June 2008, 01:13 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by lozgti
Agreed. Only these two they could not have been foreseen.
Although you could not predict accurately that oil prices would rise sharply in a particular year, it is not rocket science to realise that cheap North Sea gas would eventually run out and that alternative energy sources would be required.

In the early 1990's when Sizewell B was being planned there was supposed to be a fleet of half a dozen new Nuclear Power Stations. However, because gas produced electricity was relatively cheap, all the suppliers jumped on that bandwagon, and the Nuclear plants were cancelled.

It is government short-termism (which to be fair afflicts every government) which means we are now short of alternative energy sources and much more affected by the oil price than we should have been.

Had the government of the day (conservative) made a commitment to long term diversity of supply then oil would not be so critical, and the speculators would have less of a hold on the market.

So IMHO government incompetence has a lot to do with our current predicament (but not necessarily just the current one).
Old 23 June 2008, 01:42 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
What out Pete...

With the way things are currently going, anyone with the name "Pete" in their user name is at risk.
To be fair, I am usually at risk for being argumentative confrontational tosser anyway
Old 23 June 2008, 01:53 PM
New_scooby_04

To be fair, I am usually at risk for being argumentative confrontational tosser anyway
*Looks for the insta-ban the lentil eating leftie button *

You're fine Pete, I'd suggest those who make a name for themeselves by being antagonistic are simply suffering the fallout! (and it's not me that infracts them, FWIW). If you don't want people to interpret your posts in a context of trolling, don't establish a precendent as being someone who likes to troll, simple as!

You make a bed on Sn, you lie in it!

Pete, taken in the right way, is actually rather amusing - I had a bit of a soft spot for that ID but he knows the score and, unfortunately for him, many on here don't share our tolerant view: the community as a whole has expressed a view, he has been warned and warned by the peeps who own this place: their website, their rules!

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 23 June 2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old 23 June 2008, 06:18 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

In the end of the day breaking the rules to infract someone breaking the rules isn't exactly setting a good example of this flawless "unabusable" system - of which we are often reminded of that fact.

Old 23 June 2008, 07:05 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I *like* argumentative confrontational types (what you do in your own time is ENTIRELY up to you...if you involve me, wear rubber gloves!)

Argumentative and confrontational when educated and ready to accept anothers opinions, or at least respect it, is great!

People always get the wrong idea of what an argument IS - and if you want the BEST definition, go watch the Monty Python sketch. It brilliantly demonstrates the difference between an argument (a connected series of statements designed elicite a proposition) as opposed to contradiction (the automatic gainsaying of whatever is said before)

Pete (Lewis)s chronic problem is that he trolls - and makes controversial statements with no factual or clear backup. If he states that in HIS opinion the present economic woes are not the Govts fault, BECAUSE.... yada yada. He would not get infracted.

Unfortunately his social skills are about as good as his ability to give birth...

Quick Reply: Am I the ONLY one ....