Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water-fuel car unveiled in Japan

Water-fuel car unveiled in Japan | Video | Reuters.com
Old 13 June 2008, 04:54 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

It's not April 1st, is it?

Seriously, that's either a hoax, or some science being misunderstood, or we can all sit back and watch the economy of the Middle East crumble over the next few years while we burn our obsolete thermodynamics textbooks for warmth...
Old 13 June 2008, 04:57 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Explained here:

Genepax unveils water energy fuel cell system - Fuel Cell Today
Old 13 June 2008, 05:17 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gordon Brown has just slapped 75% duty on water, United Utilities shareholders all become Billionaires overnight.
Old 13 June 2008, 05:23 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

ƒRƒbƒv1”t‚Ì…‚ª’n‹…‚ðŽx‚¦‚éƒGƒlƒ‹ƒM[‚ÉB - Š”Ž®‰ïŽÐƒWƒFƒlƒpƒbƒNƒX
Old 13 June 2008, 06:00 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

That explains why petrol stations have been charging well over a quid a bottle for water for the past few years. They knew about this all along.

Add "fuel" duty to it, and Evian is about to top Champagne for price per litre ! lol
Old 13 June 2008, 06:13 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I read a book by Ben Elton whilst on holiday a couple of years ago which I found in the cupboard of my parent's house in France. It was written in the late 80s and was about a guy who'd discovered how to design an engine which would run on water. Basically, the oil companies hunted him down and killed him and everyone who knew about its existence.

If this new discovery is correct, I would welcome it. However, seeing as we can 'survive' without petrol to live, water is another story. I have been thinking alot how we're going to get out of the oil problem and this would seem one solution. Hope it works out and we can release the dependence on oil.

I do worry that water will become the realms of the rich and we'll see the world in a shortage of drinking water!

Trending Topics

Old 13 June 2008, 06:31 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

yes these have been around for years but like said above oil companies and governments didnt want it released as they couldnt make money on it like they can on oil.
but how it all changes when they think the world is doomed with all this climate change (load of nonsense) and just another way of controlling us and giving us new stealth taxes like getting charged for bin collections when we pay council tax
Old 13 June 2008, 06:36 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Gordon Brown has just slapped 75% duty on water, United Utilities shareholders all become Billionaires overnight.

and adding a red dye to all streams/rivers and seas
Old 13 June 2008, 06:41 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

"Genepax unveiled a fuel cell stack with a rated output of 120W and a fuel cell system with a rated output of 300W."

It's the 300W system that's in the car, so not exactly going to be breaking any records for 0-60 or the 1/4 mile just yet... but I still don't get it from a scientific perspective. Splitting water molecules to release hydrogen requires energy - the same amount of energy as you get back when you allow that hydrogen to recombine with oxygen to form water.

If the vehicle's fuel cell produces useful energy that can be used to do work, then surely:

a) It directly violates the 1st law of thermodynamics (conservation of energy), or

b) the temperature of something within the car decreases, which might obey the 1st law but would then be in violation of the 2nd law, or

c) the car converts the water 'fuel' it's supplied with into a form which has lower stored energy, like a conventional engine - in which case it would be interesting to know exactly what that form actually is, or

d) we're not being told the full story!
Old 13 June 2008, 06:42 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

obsolete thermodynamics textbooks for warmth
If it's in our text books it must be true Just over a 100 years ago the worlds greatest scientists knew that human flight was impossible too. My 10 year old nephew "knows "global warming is real as well as its taught in our schools, and al gores propoganda video shown as scientific fact
Old 13 June 2008, 06:47 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

The H2O-powered Corgi H2GO RC Car

Corgi are selling toys that do a similar thing
Old 13 June 2008, 06:54 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

The toy car uses solar power to produce hydrogen - that's where the energy input to the system comes from. It doesn't 'run on water' at all, it just uses water as a source of hydrogen atoms. The Genepax car is claimed to use water directly.
Old 13 June 2008, 07:21 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

There presumably has to be a 'normal' energy source in there (a battery) but it produces more energy than it uses. I have no idea how that works!

I would say if you are a crack-pot inventor and have even the inkling of a good idea now is a great time to get VC money ...

Steve
Old 13 June 2008, 11:12 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
I read a book by Ben Elton whilst on holiday a couple of years ago which I found in the cupboard of my parent's house in France. It was written in the late 80s and was about a guy who'd discovered how to design an engine which would run on water. Basically, the oil companies hunted him down and killed him and everyone who knew about its existence.

If this new discovery is correct, I would welcome it. However, seeing as we can 'survive' without petrol to live, water is another story. I have been thinking alot how we're going to get out of the oil problem and this would seem one solution. Hope it works out and we can release the dependence on oil.

I do worry that water will become the realms of the rich and we'll see the world in a shortage of drinking water!
Water has always been the dividing factor between rich an poor ...!

- and its only going to get worse
Old 14 June 2008, 10:46 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

I agree with AndyC_772, you can't have a system where you start with water and end with water and yet liberate enough energy to do useful work. It just doesn't compute.

Just take a look at their website, it looks like a standard fuel cell except somehow they've splitting water into hydrogen& oxygen too.

gWESh‚Ì”*“d‚ÌŽd‘g‚Ý - Š”Ž®‰ïŽÐƒWƒFƒlƒpƒbƒNƒX

Last edited by Brit_in_Japan; 14 June 2008 at 10:48 AM.