Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone with experience of broken metatarsals?

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2008, 11:45 AM
STi Lou
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Anyone with experience of broken metatarsals?

I broke my middle three last tuesday and am now in plaster feeling very sorry for myself, can't drive or put any weight onto foot for at least six weeks.

Has anyone experienced this and how long did the pain swelling and other stuff take to go down a bit?

They were going to operate because my bones were slightly displaced but surgeons could not agree so I was sent home.....hope they made the right decision.

Husband just had the car mapped, new turbo and injectors and I'm desperate to drive it booohooooo!
Old 10 June 2008, 12:27 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

Not personally, no. But my girlfriend did her right fifth metatarsal last September. Lasted a week before she went to the hospital with it, and then she was told just to stay off it etc including no driving for 5 more weeks. Didn't put her in plaster, said there was no point. Went back after 5 weeks and was given the all clear - was back in the gym 30 mins later. Most of the swelling and bruising was there for about 4 weeks in total.

If they made the wrong decision, you'll find out when you go back for the next x-rays and they'll then operate - you'll then be off your foot for another 6 weeks at least. I hope they made right decision too and that you heal quickly - it's very frustrating, for your husband as well as yourself - especially when you start taking your frustration at not being able to do anything out on him when it's not his fault - unless he stood on your foot of course.
Old 10 June 2008, 12:37 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

PM David Beckham, Wayne Rooney, Xavi Alonso
Old 10 June 2008, 12:49 PM
STi Lou
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 555-Shaggy
Not personally, no. But my girlfriend did her right fifth metatarsal last September. Lasted a week before she went to the hospital with it, and then she was told just to stay off it etc including no driving for 5 more weeks. Didn't put her in plaster, said there was no point. Went back after 5 weeks and was given the all clear - was back in the gym 30 mins later. Most of the swelling and bruising was there for about 4 weeks in total.

If they made the wrong decision, you'll find out when you go back for the next x-rays and they'll then operate - you'll then be off your foot for another 6 weeks at least. I hope they made right decision too and that you heal quickly - it's very frustrating, for your husband as well as yourself - especially when you start taking your frustration at not being able to do anything out on him when it's not his fault - unless he stood on your foot of course.

More X-rays in 2 weeks so I suppose I will find out then.
Can't beleive I did three of them and such damage only tripped over on uneven patio slabs, wasn't even drunk
Feel so sorry for hubby and very frustrated with not being able to do anything.
Thanks for replies.
Old 10 June 2008, 01:14 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

LOu, just lie with your legs up for a while, Im sure hubby will forgive you

**edited to 'say'.. Tarsals No,, Carpals, Yes
frequently in my younger days

Last edited by hectic; 10 June 2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10 June 2008, 01:20 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi Lou
I broke my middle three last tuesday and am now in plaster feeling very sorry for myself, can't drive or put any weight onto foot for at least six weeks.

Has anyone experienced this and how long did the pain swelling and other stuff take to go down a bit?

They were going to operate because my bones were slightly displaced but surgeons could not agree so I was sent home.....hope they made the right decision.

Husband just had the car mapped, new turbo and injectors and I'm desperate to drive it booohooooo!
Hi Lou.
Sorry to hear about your foot. Maybe jumping from the chandelier wasn't such a good idea after all

What exactly have you had done to your car?
What power is it pushing out now?
You only did it in case you come up against me one morning, didn't you?

The only experience I've had of a broken metatarsal, is watching the unfit Beckham play for England & watching Rooney hobble off, and affectively putting us out of the World Cup.
Old 10 June 2008, 01:24 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Is it just me or does anyone else think that wimmins moan and complain about the smallest of things!!
Old 10 June 2008, 01:34 PM
STi Lou
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Hi Lou.
Sorry to hear about your foot. Maybe jumping from the chandelier wasn't such a good idea after all

What exactly have you had done to your car?
What power is it pushing out now?
You only did it in case you come up against me one morning, didn't you?

The only experience I've had of a broken metatarsal, is watching the unfit Beckham play for England & watching Rooney hobble off, and affectively putting us out of the World Cup.

You got it in one Wayne......whats this about you getting rid of scoob maybe???????Shame on you
You will have to ask sean exactly whats done to the car not too sure know its just been re-mapped by Bob Rawle and Harvey at the weekend, it's had new injectors and turbo fitted,recent miltech exhaust thingy err and suspension thingys....see I told you to ask sean!!!!

Trip out tomorrow to rolling road and we will find out how much it's pushing out I'm loving whats been done so far its feels so good and thats just being a passenger in it......

Thanks Hectic.

DCI gene hunt it doesnt hurt too much now I'm certainly not a fanny that complains about pain, no stranger to pain I recently slipped 2 discs and have three children, the thing that hurts me most is not being able to drive and watching Sean do the things I should be and want to be doing for him!

Last edited by STi Lou; 10 June 2008 at 02:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10 June 2008, 01:49 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Your welcome Hun
Old 10 June 2008, 02:07 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

More X-rays in 2 weeks so I suppose I will find out then.
Can't beleive I did three of them and such damage only tripped over on uneven patio slabs, wasn't even drunk
Feel so sorry for hubby and very frustrated with not being able to do anything.
Thanks for replies.
Good luck for two weeks time then.

I can believe it, my other half only went over on her ankle while wearing chunky shoes. Funny thing is, she did it within a few minutes of me completing the three peaks challenge so I'd been awake for hours and climbed Scafell Pike (highest peak in England) from about 10.30pm through until about 1am last September, so in pitch black darkness, she did it at lunch time in sun light
Old 10 June 2008, 02:14 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

You got it in one Wayne......whats this about you getting rid of scoob maybe???????Shame on you
Thinking about it yes. Need to save some money for the New Focus RS next year. Decided to keep it till I find out it's specs (End of July). If it's not what I want, I'll keep the Scooby. Debated whether or not to sell it for a Diesel (Golf GT or Audi S-Line). Think I've decided against that now. Alot of outlay for only a bit of fuel saving every month.

You will have to ask sean exactly whats done to the car not too sure know its just been re-mapped by Bob Rawle and Harvey at the weekend, it's had new injectors and turbo fitted,recent miltech exhaust thingy err and suspension thingys....see I told you to ask sean!!!!
Nice to see you have a grip on what's happening

Trip out tomorrow to rolling road and we will find out how much it's pushing out I'm loving whats been done so far its feels so good and thats just being a passenger in it......
Let me know the results please. Sean will have to give me a ride out in it. Just for the purpose of scientific interest
Old 10 June 2008, 02:24 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

DCI gene hunt it doesnt hurt too much now I'm certainly not a fanny that complains about pain, no stranger to pain I recently slipped 2 discs and have three children, the thing that hurts me most is not being able to drive and watching Sean do the things I should be and want to be doing for him!
You think THAT'S pain??? Try some numpty flicking yer ball bag.... now that's PAIN
Old 10 June 2008, 02:27 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

hey, whatever floats ya boat, DCi
Old 10 June 2008, 02:49 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Try some numpty flicking yer ball bag.... now that's PAIN
You think that's pain? Try a paper cut between your fingers. Now THAT is pain.

Saying that, I don't think I'd want by ***** flicked either.
Old 10 June 2008, 03:12 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by stilover
You think that's pain? Try a paper cut between your fingers. Now THAT is pain.

Saying that, I don't think I'd want by ***** flicked either.
A paper cut on your *****?
Old 10 June 2008, 03:26 PM
STi Lou
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The thoughts making me wince thanks for the mental image

How did this topic about broken feet get onto papercuts on *****?????

Wayne, will update you tomorrow about R.R outcome, we have a lovely drive through the dales to get there just hope the weather is as beautiful as it is now!

Thanks everyone!
Old 10 June 2008, 03:48 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

I broke two in my right foot about 20 months ago, in plaster for 6 weeks.
The funny thing was that i had broke them two weeks previous & just thought i had twisted my ankle It wasnt until i started to get pain in my foot when i was braking that i decided to go to the hospital.

Still get a niggling pain every now & then
Old 10 June 2008, 05:18 PM
chezb
Scooby Regular

I fractured my 2nd, 3rd and 4th metatarsals in my right foot and my 2nd in my left foot in January in a car accident.

I was in plaster and couldn't put any weight through my feet for 7 weeks. I'm still having physio now and I'm still on crutches. They're still swollen and I've had to buy a few pairs of new shoes as none of my usual ones fit any more.

I'm getting bad pain on the outside edge of my right foot, as my foot has been set wrong (it looks like a banana, lol). Physiotherapist today told me it looks like I've got to go back into hospital to have an op to set it correctly.

That means another x amount of weeks not being able to drive. Great!!!!!
Old 11 June 2008, 08:00 AM
STi Lou
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chezb
I fractured my 2nd, 3rd and 4th metatarsals in my right foot and my 2nd in my left foot in January in a car accident.

I was in plaster and couldn't put any weight through my feet for 7 weeks. I'm still having physio now and I'm still on crutches. They're still swollen and I've had to buy a few pairs of new shoes as none of my usual ones fit any more.

I'm getting bad pain on the outside edge of my right foot, as my foot has been set wrong (it looks like a banana, lol). Physiotherapist today told me it looks like I've got to go back into hospital to have an op to set it correctly.

That means another x amount of weeks not being able to drive. Great!!!!!
Oh my god that sounds awful I hope you get it sorted, I have 2nd 3rd 4th fracture too and slightly displaced.

Off for a nice drive to get the scoob on Rolling road now so thats cheering me up no ends, only way it could be better is with me driving!