Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

recommend me a cordless impact wrench

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2008, 10:19 PM
subevo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recommend me a cordless impact wrench

anyone use a cordless impact wrench for general wheel removal etc.had a cheapo plug into cigarette job but it fell to bits.must be strong enough to remove wheel nuts tightened by a garage air wrench.and not cost £500.
Old 05 June 2008, 10:41 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I think you'll struggle to get a cordless that will match a workshop gun tbh. I have a Sealey cordless, 18.4v jobbie. It cracks most stuff but I do have to get a bar out sometimes.
Old 06 June 2008, 07:47 AM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Im not one of these blinkered folks that believe snap-on tools are the best thing since sunshine, but the best cordless wrench I have found seems to be the snap-on ctu4850.
I havent bought one yet, as Im allergic to paying snap-on uk`s prices, but they are sold fairly regularly on american ebay for $300-$400, which given the poor dollar, is under £200. Obviously there is shipping on top of that, and depending on the customs lottery, possibly import duty to pay as well, but it should still come in well under the price of a UK one.
The charger is 110v, so will need an adaptor, but these are cheap enough too.

If anyone has a suggestion for another make that gives the same torque, Id be very interested to hear it.
Old 06 June 2008, 10:25 AM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Knew I had read a review on these somewhere................ good old autoexpress.

Link to test

Impact wrenches - Cordless | Products | Auto Express

Good luck

GB
Old 06 June 2008, 10:50 AM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

hmmm, claimed max torque figures seem to vary wildly in their accuracy, but the snap-on one ive been looking at has a claimed max of 620 lb/ft, which is miles more than those in the auto express review. I wonder how accurate their claim is.

website here,...
The Mother of All Cordless Impact Wrenches

Id hate to spend out on something that struggles to undo wheel nuts. Ideally, Id like something that crack hub nuts and pulleys etc, and if the snap-on claims are to be believed, it should be powerfull enough to do this. Not sure about the others though. The highest claimed torque figure there is still under 300 lb/ft and according to the review, still struggled to undo their test nuts at a much lower tightness.