Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

ADVICE REQ'D ON KOI CARP FISH..

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2008, 09:14 AM
L33_WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ADVICE REQ'D ON KOI CARP FISH..

I have recently aquired a number of Koi from my brothers pond (he moved and had no where for them to go - bargain!) and I currently have them in an approx 150 litre tank in my shed while I build a pond for them. I've done some research and understand the pond will need to be atleast 4'6" depth etc but would like to know...

While I have the fish in the temp water tank in my shed do I need to add a pump/filter to it?

Also if anyone has any more info / advice or pics of there ponds I would appreciate it if you could post it up.

Cheers
Old 29 May 2008, 09:56 AM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Try here Tropical Fish Forums -> Coldwater Fish and Ponds
Old 29 May 2008, 10:46 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I would take the tank out of the shed and site in a shady area out of direct sunlight. I had to "store" all my fish when I moved.

I think you can get away without a pump/filter etc but you will need to do 25% water changes by hand fairly frequently and use some anti-chlorine stuff when you top up with the hose.

I would also buy a couple of airstones to keep the oxygen level up. You can also get a Nitrite testing kit to check on the water quality (Nitrite is bad news).

You need to tell us more like how many fish and what sort of size. What do you have in mind for a pond. I am sure lots of SN peeps will give you ideas but have a look through a pond construction book or two and see what you like. Simplest is probably one of those preformed thingies. You could probably get away with it being less than 4' 6" deep although that depth would ideal.

Ask away if there is anything else.

PS. Be very careful if/when buying any new fish as there is the Koi Virus to worry about which can wipe out 80% of you stock.

dl

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...uet/POND-1.jpg
Old 29 May 2008, 12:35 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Due to bed-rock (!) mine's barely 2'6" deep, but have a BIG pump running uv+filter and a waterfall. Pond is 6' by 10' and a bit drab ( rectangular ), it also has way too many fish in as the little buggers keep breeding.... so they must be reasonably happy LOL

HTH

DunxC
Old 29 May 2008, 06:53 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Due to bed-rock (!) mine's barely 2'6" deep, but have a BIG pump running uv+filter and a waterfall. Pond is 6' by 10' and a bit drab ( rectangular ), it also has way too many fish in as the little buggers keep breeding.... so they must be reasonably happy LOL

HTH

DunxC
i had a similar problem dunx but i raised mine up 18 inches with a wall and the excavated soil was used to pack inside the walled area
Old 29 May 2008, 09:28 PM
decepticon
Scooby Regular

certainly do need a filter but the bacteria needed to filter the water will need some time to establish but there are some products to kick start the filter off.
deeper and bigger always better as far as koi are concerned but it all depends how big and how many fish you want and quality of koi you want.
Defo go for a bottom drain and 1st stage of filter system should be a 'drain to waste' vortex followed by a biological filter with suitable medium. pump should pumphalf the volume of your pond every hour.
dont hold out too much hope for koi in a bin in the shed with no filter so if they do die dont be surprised, do some proper research and built a decent pond.
feel free to ask anymore questions
cheers