How far would you go?

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2008, 02:37 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How far would you go?

To protect/defend your industry?
If you believed that your company held 'debatable' data, or there was 'evidence' that would ultimately, very unfairly, provide very negative publicity that may result in very detrimental financial circumstances; Would you A) Disclose the information confident that it may be damaging but believe that the 'public' can wade through the dross and ultimately give it all a reasonable view or B) Keep it under wraps as 'the public' is not served by knowing what they may not understand and the press will misreport in any case? 'As they always do!'

Theoretical of course.

I believe 'B' is the way to go as the 'public' are, on the whole, as thick as... and need protection! IMHO of course, based on experience
Old 27 May 2008, 02:54 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Option A for me.

As a member of the public I'm fed up with being thought of as not having the capacity to understand things that ultimately I have a right to know.

I think

Old 27 May 2008, 03:03 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends if you are going to gain or lose from action or inaction on either front.

There are cases where inaction on option A could land you a custodial.
Old 27 May 2008, 03:07 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Is the data in relation to illegal activity? If yes, then option A is the only viable option. If not then it is purely down to your conscience
Old 27 May 2008, 03:10 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Depends if you are going to gain or lose from action or inaction on either front.

There are cases where inaction on option A could land you a custodial.
True, but ultimately (theoretically) you/me will not be the one to carry the can
Old 27 May 2008, 03:19 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Is the data in relation to illegal activity? If yes, then option A is the only viable option. If not then it is purely down to your conscience
No, not illegal activity but data that could be misconstrued, to the layman and his ever 'salivating' press, as terminal to your activities.
Old 27 May 2008, 03:34 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by magepaster
Option A for me.

As a member of the public I'm fed up with being thought of as not having the capacity to understand things that ultimately I have a right to know.

I think

Noted, but seeing as you responded, without resorting to swearing and in words of more than one syllable (or text speak), you are not considered 'the public' or tabloid believer
Old 27 May 2008, 03:38 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

Considering root B leads one to consider root A and raises a moral issue. If morally you consider root A then logically root B is morally wrong.
Old 27 May 2008, 03:39 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I would prefer an option C whereby all the tabloids were banned from reporting it whilst the broadsheets were allowed.

That way, those of us with a brain would know and the tabloid reading "public" could be shielded from information they don't have the capacity to understand.
Old 27 May 2008, 03:42 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Or option D: Store evidence in case the company decide to try and do a "Chocolate-o-brian" on you.
Old 27 May 2008, 03:49 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Considering root B leads one to consider root A and raises a moral issue. If morally you consider root A then logically root B is morally wrong.
Touche! But who mentioned morals The question related to your willingness to protect your company/industry from potential injustice!
Old 27 May 2008, 03:51 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome
I would prefer an option C whereby all the tabloids were banned from reporting it whilst the broadsheets were allowed.

That way, those of us with a brain would know and the tabloid reading "public" could be shielded from information they don't have the capacity to understand.
I like your logic.
Old 27 May 2008, 03:54 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome

Politically influenced reporting is politically influenced reporting. The Times and the Sun are owned by the same person. The Telegraph is a Tory paper, the Guardian is a Labour one.

Yes the red tops are far more sensationalist (and in the case of the Mail, hate ridden tripe written by underdeveloped chimpanzees) - But, underlying that is the same political bias
Old 27 May 2008, 04:04 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Politically influenced reporting is politically influenced reporting. The Times and the Sun are owned by the same person. The Telegraph is a Tory paper, the Guardian is a Labour one.

Yes the red tops are far more sensationalist (and in the case of the Mail, hate ridden tripe written by underdeveloped chimpanzees) - But, underlying that is the same political bias
Accepted, but the 'public' see only scare headlines and little else. Reasonable debate is never on the agenda so how could I/you be confident that anything issued to the outside world would be given 'fair press'.
IMO it isn't going to happen. Therefore, it will encourage you/me to be deceiptful, No?

Last edited by coolangatta; 27 May 2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 27 May 2008, 04:13 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by coolangatta
Touche! But who mentioned morals The question related to your willingness to protect your company/industry from potential injustice!
Ah, but protecting your company is done by taking option B which you can't do without considering option A. Taking option B means deliberately withholding information that just by posing the question is important enough not to be hidden. The whole situation is a moral issue.
I'm not damning anyone, just stating the way it would evolve in my mind should the situation occur in my life.
Old 27 May 2008, 04:19 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Who was it you said you worked for?
Old 27 May 2008, 04:24 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Who was it you said you worked for?
Can't say But this is all hypothetical
Old 27 May 2008, 04:46 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Ah, but protecting your company is done by taking option B which you can't do without considering option A. Taking option B means deliberately withholding information that just by posing the question is important enough not to be hidden. The whole situation is a moral issue.
I'm not damning anyone, just stating the way it would evolve in my mind should the situation occur in my life.
My reasoning is that; disclosure, albeit initially damaging, would, in an educated culture, produce a fair and conscientious opinion. However, in our 'free press' state (read moronic tabloid frenzy), as it now presents its self, I would be reluctant to disclose anything.
We constantly have a pop at China, Russia, Burma and the like for not allowing a 'free press' but it's not suprising that they are sceptical (is it?) as they can easily judge our free press for what it's worth. It's not a mystery that they are unwilling to travel the same route?