Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Life after people.... C4 (also on History Channel)

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2008, 11:03 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Life after people.... C4 (also on History Channel)

fascinating programme, albeit somewhat apocalyptic!!
However, it does go to show that even with the amount of damage we as humans are meant to be doing to the planet (in comparison to what we've already done - chernobyll...), nature WILL prevail, and sort it all out.

Still, kinda wierd to see no human populous.....

Dan

ps still on C4 +1......
Old 26 May 2008, 11:11 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

very good program. very interesting and I thought it was kinda amusing that the pyramids will still be here after everything "we" the modern society has built has crumbled and turned to rust or dust!
Old 26 May 2008, 11:19 PM
AshMurc
Scooby Regular

damn, just catching the last 15min -- looks interesting. Something eerily fascianting about imagining a world without humans... like seeing pics of chernoybll ghost town and stuff. No doubt i'll be able to catch it another 20 times on More 4 at some point!
Old 26 May 2008, 11:50 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

The weird thing was, the longer the programme went on, the better the idea of earth without humans became.

The thought of oceans teeming with fish seemed so much more healthy than the state they are in now.

What I couldn't get my head round though was any scenario whereby humans die all at exactly the same time, but no animals do. I know that wasn't the point of the program, but if it couldn't happen that way, is there any point in speculating on it?
Old 27 May 2008, 09:04 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mykp
very good program. very interesting and I thought it was kinda amusing that the pyramids will still be here after everything "we" the modern society has built has crumbled and turned to rust or dust!
Apart from the Hoover Dam of course

Remember, the programme is about what "probably" will happen rather than what definitely will happen. I imagine that it'd be pretty close to the mark although I'd like to know how the zoo animals would escape...
Old 27 May 2008, 01:05 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Good program and fascinating, but I couldn't help wondering where we all went, instantly. Day 1 - pet dogs raid fridges and cupboards More like, pet dogs eat their owners rotting corpse. No bodies, no abandoned cars or crashed planes. I realise it was theoretical (or hypothetical ) but it diluted the concept by having our absence unrealistic.
Old 27 May 2008, 01:14 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
The weird thing was, the longer the programme went on, the better the idea of earth without humans became.

The thought of oceans teeming with fish seemed so much more healthy than the state they are in now.

What I couldn't get my head round though was any scenario whereby humans die all at exactly the same time, but no animals do. I know that wasn't the point of the program, but if it couldn't happen that way, is there any point in speculating on it?
Aliens could beam all the humans in to outer space. It could happen ...

Trending Topics

Old 27 May 2008, 02:47 PM
shamrock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mykp
I only caught snippets of this program but wouldn't the Quarries, Mines and Landfill Sites still be evident in the future?
Old 27 May 2008, 03:19 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shamrock
I only caught snippets of this program but wouldn't the Quarries, Mines and Landfill Sites still be evident in the future?
Not in the same state as they are now, that was what the program says.

The quarries would be full of water or covered in plants the mines would have collapsed or be full of water and the landfills would revert to jungle or similair after 10,000 years.

for those that want to watch it, its here:

Life After People | Channel4.com
Old 27 May 2008, 03:30 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
Viral pandemic.
Old 27 May 2008, 03:48 PM
bigvern
Scooby Regular

I thought the reclaiming of nature was a bit too quick to start off with espcially when they showed Chernobyl (sp) and after 20 odd years is didn't seem as advanced as they were initially intimating. However baised on my neighbour's garden you'd have thought humans has gone a long while ago...
Old 27 May 2008, 04:23 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting programme. Looking at what would be left around by way of legacy after so many years they didn't mention space and what might happen to the hundreds of satelites in the vacum of space?

But cats evolving into a feline equivalent of flying squirels... I think that chap had been sniffing the lab ether