Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Kickboxing

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2008, 02:57 PM
scooby_will
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kickboxing

Hey all im going to be taking up kick boxing soon i hope and was wondering if any fellow members do this or any other type of martial arts, im quite strong and am 5ft 8 so am good and agile, just wanted a bit of info on it, am going to be joining a local club so should be fun.
Old 26 May 2008, 03:00 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Ive done Muay Thai for 5 yrs mate and had a few fights, what you want to know?

what to expect?

How fit you have to be etc?

Its a great sport, great way to get fit, whilst learning something, id go with Muay Thai over kickboxing personally, knees and elbows are permitted and its less belt orientated than Kickboxing, just my 2 penneth though
Old 26 May 2008, 03:12 PM
scooby_will
Scooby Regular

yeh mauy thai is kickboxing though isnt it but more fighting, i do like the aspect of the fighting, i am quite fit already but i know i will need more, i am 12stone 4 and am pritty well built ok i have a bit of a stomach but you can feel the muscle underneath is tence, my aim is to lose a little more weight so that i have toneing and then i will build apon that, there is 2 centres where i live so i will be visiting both to see what they offer kickboxing wise, i am also looking at karate but it is very restricted and i want a little bit of fun lol, i am a very plasid person as well so keeping my temper away isnt a problem, i think in my 21 years on earth i've only lost it 6 times and the people i lost it at wont be pushing me anymore lol, what sort of events do you go to as i want to do a few events. I know all of this will come in good time and if im good enough which i truely hope i am.
Old 26 May 2008, 03:14 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Ill PM you mate
Old 26 May 2008, 03:23 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

There's a couple of people at my work who do it and they are forever injured, bad knees, broken nose, broken fingers, bad back, you name it, they are always in agony!
Old 26 May 2008, 03:26 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
There's a couple of people at my work who do it and they are forever injured, bad knees, broken nose, broken fingers, bad back, you name it, they are always in agony!
I bet they love it really.....lmao
Old 26 May 2008, 03:34 PM
scooby_will
Scooby Regular

yeh but if your good enough at it you wont get hurt, unless you hit the instructor and then u may as well call it a day hahaha
Old 26 May 2008, 03:41 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

That's the weird thing, they absolutely love it, one of them is pretty good apparently, but he's still always injured.
Old 26 May 2008, 03:45 PM
scooby_will
Scooby Regular

lol, in any sport you can get injured, just martial arts is a bit more contact focused, i cant wait to start its gonna be brilliant.
Old 26 May 2008, 03:53 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

I've been doing Krav Maga for the few years and it takes its elbows and kicks from Thai Boxing - You'll really enjoy the classes mate it's great fun and the best excercise you can get!
Old 26 May 2008, 03:58 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive done jujitsu,karate and kickboxing..have to say i liked the kickboxing more than the other two.gave the kickboxing up about three yrs ago,because the instructor kept moving from place to place..I do kind of miss it and was thinking about taking it up again.It will certainly get you fit,and you will most likely get the odd knock now and then..All i can say is look for a tutor that as been in the same place for a while,one that dont move around every few months.and be carefull when they tell you it's semi contact,because it never really is..i found that out when i walked out with a bruised eye.i was sparring partners with some guy who had been doing it for 12 yrs,and i came worse off.got to hand to the tutor though,he put the lad back in his place .Id say go for it m8..ive still got all my wraps,uniform and boxing gloves in the attic,and my punch bag..think this tread has inspired me to take it back up...
Old 26 May 2008, 04:01 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Im suprised SN's resident cage-fighters havent been along offering advice

Simon
Old 26 May 2008, 04:07 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Best thing to do is appraoch the classes humbly, idiots or cage fighter wannabe's get weeded out very quickly, at my place, everyone is equal, we have a national cage fighting champion and a very good up and coming Muay Thai fighter to name a few, and all of them will help out with advice if you ask them.

Its brilliant for fitness or losing weight, and is so much fun, I love sparring and the challenge of it.

You'll be able to tell after one session if your going to like it at the chosen place.

If its self defence your after then Muay Thai with a smattering of ju-jitsu is best, next time soem fvcker tries breakign a glass over your head, just choke the tw@t out :-)
Old 26 May 2008, 04:11 PM
scooby_will
Scooby Regular

there are soo many different variatys of martial arts it amazes me, i just love the contact aspect of kickboxing, im no street fighter but love to give somone a few bruises in a controlled enviorment, will defo be fun.
Old 26 May 2008, 05:53 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

depends what is important to you - the fitness, self defense, history, discipline or anything else. Once you know that then we can offer better opinions
Old 26 May 2008, 06:23 PM
scooby_will
Scooby Regular

well i am interested in the fitness, disipline and self defence, i also like the competion aspect of it.
Old 26 May 2008, 09:08 PM
Rex93
Scooby Regular

My two girls, 9 and 11 both been doing muay thai for a couple of years now, they love it, not allowed to call it kickboxing from day one, brilliant all round sport, neither wants to compete but put everything into it and are coming on very nicely.(and no, dad doesnt force them, I have always said they can stop anytime)

finding a good class is the first hurdle, the thing that I like for the girls is that they are fully aware of what happens in a 'fight situation' and are prepared to take a hit as well a giving out plenty, they both went to a karate class after school with some friends and both came home saying it was boring!
Old 26 May 2008, 09:18 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

I think it says it all when you consider most fighters that do well in organisations like Pride, Strikforce and the now defunt Pride were exponents of brazilian ju-jitsu, wrestling and Muay Thai...

IMHO Muya Thai is superior to Kickboxing, its the ultimate standup fighting style, main difference is that we don't use our instep to strike with, you use the shin, and you don't bounce like boxing, you are kinda flat footed, thats how it should be done, plus the knee and elbow strikes can be devastating, there again, im biased
Old 26 May 2008, 09:37 PM
scooby_will
Scooby Regular

well the problem i have is finding a place that does the muay thai close to me, we have two people who do kick boxing but i dont know if its just kickboxing or if they use the muay thai, the blackwell place does karate, kickboxing and ju jitsu and i know the other does alot more so will see what they say, may pop up there tommorow as its only round the corner from where i live.
Old 26 May 2008, 09:53 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Prokick Kickboxing School of Excellence also teaches Thai-Boxing, fitness and stages Martial Arts Events great advice here and remember advice is free,also my old club aswell.I realy loved my time there(5 years).
Old 26 May 2008, 09:56 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

main reason why i took up jujitsu and kickboxing is.If you look at any street fight,say your out with your mates for example.you happen to be in the unfortunate position that some stupid guy decides to pick a fight with you.most fights are close combat,punching and grabbing,rolling around on the floor stuff..ive learnt things how to hit someone on a certain area of the body that can really do some damage,no matter if there skinny or got big muscles..there was a guy at kickboxing,was out in town walking along the street at night..three guys started on him,and he took them all out..only to find himself in court,and the judge saying to him,he was taught in martial arts and knew what he was doing..he got a fine just for defending himself from three yobs,obviously it is a long story cut short.so it is great for fitness,self confidence,and self control.But there is a serious side to it too.
Old 26 May 2008, 09:59 PM
scooby_will
Scooby Regular

yes this is what i want, as said before i think i said that i have alot of strength and agility which is going to waste at the moment and alot of energy to put into it, i want to learn how to channel my strength and have the disipline to, i want to learn a new sport as well as keep fit and as said if good enough go into competions.