Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Wearing my ROLEX

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2008, 07:48 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wearing my ROLEX

Picked up a Milgauss anniversary today, approx 3.5K, but I think it's an utter bargain as I'll probably sell it 12 months down the line for an easy 5. Most likely I'll let my wife wear it mostly.
It's good to share

YouTube - Hot Chip - Wearing My Rolex *OFFICIAL**STUDIO QUALITY*
Old 25 May 2008, 07:54 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quite tasteful, not bad for 3.5 kwid
Old 25 May 2008, 07:58 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

You have been ripped off, thats deffo a £5 fake.
Old 25 May 2008, 08:03 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
You have been ripped off, thats deffo a £5 fake.
No I am sure its the real NACRO, I can smell the wealth and taste in every post.
Old 25 May 2008, 08:06 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The second hand on that watch is horrid
Old 25 May 2008, 08:10 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea looks aweful, really garish, 3.5K ????
Old 25 May 2008, 08:10 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Originally Posted by J4CKO
No I am sure its the real NACRO, I can smell the wealth and taste in every post.
"Smell the Glove"

YouTube - spinal tap black album

Never mind the width.

Been after a Milgauss since they came out and couldn't believe it when I saw one sat in my local AD. Particularly as I spent hours 'trolling' around the numerous Rolex dealerships in Vegas last week and found nothing worth buying.

Next stop another steel Daytona if my luck holds out.
Old 25 May 2008, 08:13 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Originally Posted by bioforger
Yea looks aweful, really garish, 3.5K ????
It's a homage to a vintage Rolex from the 50's and other than bloating a bit hasn't changed much.

One of those pieces that only appeals to people with a sense of history and style I guess.

Each to their own as ever..........

Price was a bargain BTW as Rolex AD's can't charge a premium. 2 yr waiting list for the normal watch means I made an instant 800 quid profit on purchase..........
Old 25 May 2008, 08:16 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

According to Wiki the watch was created for use by workers in the power industry where magnetic forces can render an ordinary watch useless, which explains the second hand a bit
Old 25 May 2008, 08:18 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Originally Posted by corradoboy
According to Wiki the watch was created for use by workers in the power industry where magnetic forces can render an ordinary watch useless, which explains the second hand a bit
Mil-gauss

Mille Gauss

ie 1000 Gauss.

Mind you if anyone exposed to high magnetic fields was to risk a watch worth this much they'd be insane.
I'll stick to my Mudman if such an occasion calls..........

Precision Timepieces: Rolex Milgauss 116400 GV
Old 25 May 2008, 08:27 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

NACRO needs it as its constantly exposed to his magnetic personality.
Old 25 May 2008, 08:44 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NACRO
Picked up a Milgauss anniversary today, approx 3.5K, but I think it's an utter bargain as I'll probably sell it 12 months down the line for an easy 5. Most likely I'll let my wife wear it mostly.
It's good to share

YouTube - Hot Chip - Wearing My Rolex *OFFICIAL**STUDIO QUALITY*
I like the clean look of the Milgauss (apart from the sweep hand), but I dont really get its purpose now (unless youre Magneto, or something). I dont really get the Daytona either, although I appreciate that it is desirable to many.
Old 25 May 2008, 08:48 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

NACRO needs it as its constantly exposed to his magnetic personality.
Old 25 May 2008, 09:04 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

It's horrible. Sell it quick. Not even the date shown

Rolex make nice watches, but their marketing is even better. They are relatively crap at telling the time

Richard.

PS My family has two Rolexes. Spent a fortune on service over the years. Omega are no better. Titanium quartz Breitling Aerospace for me. All the functions you can wish for, and unblievebale accuracy. Shame it's not clockwork though, but that's technology
Old 25 May 2008, 09:07 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

"Wearing my ROLEX"

Good tune that
Old 25 May 2008, 09:15 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Originally Posted by Hoppy
It's horrible. Sell it quick. Not even the date shown

Rolex make nice watches, but their marketing is even better. They are relatively crap at telling the time

Richard.

PS My family has two Rolexes. Spent a fortune on service over the years. Omega are no better. Titanium quartz Breitling Aerospace for me. All the functions you can wish for, and unblievebale accuracy. Shame it's not clockwork though, but that's technology
This is the most recent amongst several Rolexes and none of them tell the time as well as my crappy radio controlled Casio. That isn't the point and neither is knowing what the date is.
Breitling's don't do anything for me in terms of collectability, resale value (they lose most of their value the second you buy one) or design.

As for the tune, I love Hot Chip's version, in fact I even like the original in a cheesy, ironic kinda way.
Old 25 May 2008, 09:16 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Have premium watches had their day ?, Top Gear magazine did a really scathing piece about the drivers of BMW M power cars and mentioned in a fake film credit style piece that the watches were "By Brietling" ? I know TG is not the arbiter of taste for the whole country but it is a barometer, I dont want to be lumped in with IT business consultants even though I am kind of one of them.

I personally cant afford anything better than my 7 quid ebay Accurist due to other commitments but one day I do fancy a nice vinatage Seamaster or something.
Old 25 May 2008, 09:21 PM
NACRO
BANNED

A vintage Seamaster 300 is a great watch and if you'd bought one when the itch first scratched you'd have a watch that is worth nearly 10 times it's value a decade ago........

As far as the 'IT business consultant' side of such pieces is concerned it's good for a quick profit (a la LV Sub which I hated but bought and sold on for a quick 500 quid into a Daytona).

Buying these pieces is like trading as far as I can see. I pick some keepers but I'm forever trading the best pieces and always to my advantage.

My favourite time keeper is a 5 quid casio BTW.

Old 25 May 2008, 09:25 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I suppose its one of those things where you have to have good knowledge before venturing into it, I would end up paying 2 grand for a snide copy !

Nice if you can combine a hobby with making money.
Old 25 May 2008, 09:26 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That is one of the least vulgar Rolex's I have seen . Personally I have a Nokia 6021 which keeps pretty good time too.
Old 25 May 2008, 09:28 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I prefer old Seamasters. There are plenty of places from which to learn, if youre interested in collecting.
Old 25 May 2008, 09:29 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Telling the time on a Rolex?

Whatever next, commuting in your Bentley?
Old 25 May 2008, 09:30 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Originally Posted by GC8
I prefer old Seamasters. There are plenty of places from which to learn, if youre interested in collecting.
Old Seamasters (the dress style watches rather than sports like ploprof and the divers 300,200 and such) are really nice but I like to wear my watches and they're just too small on man-size wrists like mine.
Nice for my wife though.........
Old 25 May 2008, 09:32 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

With regards to vulgarity the simple Perpetual and Date models are quite understated and the Submariner / Submariner Date & (old)Seadweller are workmanlike (with black bials ans bezel insets, at least). Unfotunately the new Seadweller looks like a dogs dinner.
Old 25 May 2008, 09:36 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Old Seamasters (the dress style watches rather than sports like ploprof and the divers 300,200 and such) are really nice but I like to wear my watches and they're just too small on man-size wrists like mine.
My wrists aren't that developed.....
Old 25 May 2008, 09:38 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Harsh.

The 135. and 136. cased models are small by todays expanding standards, its true. The early professional dives are petite compared to contemporary >40mm models too. I quite like the anonymous quality: I have more ostentatious watches if I wanted to show off, but that isnt what its about for me.

Simon
Old 25 May 2008, 09:39 PM
NACRO
BANNED

My wrists aren't that developed.....
Onanism cam work wonders, more practice needed perhaps?
Old 25 May 2008, 09:42 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

The old testament and wanking all in one: brilliant!
Old 25 May 2008, 09:42 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Originally Posted by GC8
Harsh.

The 135. and 136. cased models are small by todays expanding standards, its true. The early professional dives are petite compared to contemporary >40mm models too. I quite like the anonymous quality: I have more ostentatious watches if I wanted to show off, but that isnt what its about for me.

Simon
Not that harsh, they're really classy, underrated and undervalued watches IMO. Problem is I really have massive wrists being a fairly large bloke with a gym habit, my 45mm Planet Ocean is in good proportion, my new Rolex looks better on my wife.
Old 25 May 2008, 09:50 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Im not disagreeing; quite the opposite. My old Seamasters arent worth a great deal, despite their condition and bieng complete (original boxes, genuine straps and buckles and desirable bracelets), because theyre only 34mm wide (similar to a Date, which also looks tiny on my wrist) and extremely unfashionable.

Quick Reply: Wearing my ROLEX