Gas BBQ advice please

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2008, 09:43 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas BBQ advice please

Hi

Im looking for a new Gas BBQ in the £150 ~ £300 price range, does anyone have a first hand recomendation?

Im considering either

AWT 'Master' Deluxe 3 Burner Gas

or

Outback 4 Burner Stainless Steel Gas Barbecue

Also why have they all changed to Propane? ours in Butane and they all used to be that gas. Now I have to buy new bottles
Old 06 May 2008, 01:17 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I've been looking down a similar route, but it seems if you really do want that genuine smoky BBQ taste then you either need to stick to charcoal, or get some lava rocks to put on the gas BBQ which smoke to give off a similar taste.

I've decided to build my own charcoal BBQ.
Old 06 May 2008, 08:21 AM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gas BBQ Thats cheating
Old 06 May 2008, 08:44 AM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Either buy a charcoal one or save your money and cook it under the grill, you get the same results.

Chop
Old 06 May 2008, 09:32 AM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Don't listen to the gas haters. Gas BBQs rock. The fact that they are chargrilled adds the key taste, you don't see chefs cooking your fat steak over charcoal brickets(sp?) do you? Most Australians (Australia arguably being the home of the BBQ) use gas so what makes you pommes any different.

My advice would be to get a 3 burner cheap job from B&Q, Homebase etc as if you use it quite a lot (as I do) then the constant heating and cooling will cause some of the key components to fatigue. My BBQs only last about 3 seasons so it makes sense to buy cheapish.
Old 06 May 2008, 09:41 AM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Varboy
Most Australians (Australia arguably being the home of the BBQ) use gas so what makes you pommes any different
because the aussies are lazy cvnts.

chop
Old 06 May 2008, 09:44 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I bought a £200 gas one from Homebase, 3 burner with a cast iron griddle plate. Hated it, it just isn't the same; you may as well cook in the oven IMO. Sold it a year later for next to nothing.
Old 06 May 2008, 09:53 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

We use a gas job because, as chop would put it.........

But we use it a lot and it's so quick and easy and I canh't be arsed with the palava of charcoal and a 2 day wait for it to be "just right" to start cooking

We have a cheap 2-burner Canadian one called a Broil King. Get one with a decent closing lid as I just get mine really hot and bake the food first so I know it's cooked and then you can use it normally to baste etc.

Next time I'll get one with a mains powered spit. Get a good cover for it; I use some pond liner which is much better than the £30 shop jobs although it does look an eyesore. dl
Old 06 May 2008, 11:26 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

To those that claim gas BBQ is the same as using an oven you are very wrong!

We BBQ a lot during the summer and the instant cooking ability of gas cant be beat

The Aussies have it right in my opinion
Old 06 May 2008, 11:33 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
To those that claim gas BBQ is the same as using an oven you are very wrong!

We BBQ a lot during the summer and the instant cooking ability of gas cant be beat

The Aussies have it right in my opinion

Quite right

Plus I can hide a bottle of red behind the b-b-q and have a ciggie without being moaned at. Can't do that in the kitchen

(and meme sahib doesn't like flames over the worktop) dl
Old 06 May 2008, 12:12 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

You need to get one of these beauties. I saw this on sale in Nashville, Tennessee when I was over there last.

Old 06 May 2008, 12:14 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Worlds best BBQ's are Weber.
Old 06 May 2008, 12:41 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I got a Gas BBQ 3 years ago and I must admit I do at times miss the primeval feel to building a pile of coals, soaking with firelighter and setting ablaze and I would probably agree it can more often create better tasting food.

However I dont get what the fuss is about Gas being so so bad. Most incarnations use lava rock. The majority of flavour from bbq'ing comes from fat dripping on hot coals (or rocks) thus creating smoke which rises towards the food.

I would say the first few times was a bit plain but once you get some fat on those rocks they aint half bad and a hell of a lot easier to start, keep a constant heat, keep going for prolonged periods of time (24hr Le Mans BBQ our friends have every year being a good example) and generally just less mess with ash, black fingerprints etc.

If you really want extra flavour then add some wood chips. I have some nice maple ones that give a great flavour and colour to ribs.

I would also suggest buying more lava rocks as I didnt get that many with mine. Bought a spare pack to fill in all the gaps.

Simon

P.S. Mine was an Outback Omega 300 I think - with a sidehob - wicked for doing fried onions etc. Was £150 when I got it but saw it for £80 in Robert Dyas last year.
Old 06 May 2008, 12:45 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Varboy
You need to get one of these beauties. I saw this on sale in Nashville, Tennessee when I was over there last.

How about this?

The Ultimate BBQ for outdoor entertainment Direct 2 home

Last time I was in the States I saw a massive one in Walmart complete with outdoor sink and small fridge

Simon
Old 06 May 2008, 08:50 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
I got a Gas BBQ 3 years ago and I must admit I do at times miss the primeval feel to building a pile of coals, soaking with firelighter and setting ablaze and I would probably agree it can more often create better tasting food.

However I dont get what the fuss is about Gas being so so bad. Most incarnations use lava rock. The majority of flavour from bbq'ing comes from fat dripping on hot coals (or rocks) thus creating smoke which rises towards the food.

I would say the first few times was a bit plain but once you get some fat on those rocks they aint half bad and a hell of a lot easier to start, keep a constant heat, keep going for prolonged periods of time (24hr Le Mans BBQ our friends have every year being a good example) and generally just less mess with ash, black fingerprints etc.

If you really want extra flavour then add some wood chips. I have some nice maple ones that give a great flavour and colour to ribs.

I would also suggest buying more lava rocks as I didnt get that many with mine. Bought a spare pack to fill in all the gaps.

Simon

P.S. Mine was an Outback Omega 300 I think - with a sidehob - wicked for doing fried onions etc. Was £150 when I got it but saw it for £80 in Robert Dyas last year.
Well put, thats exactly where the flavor comes from
Old 06 May 2008, 08:56 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by ScoobLou
Gas BBQ Thats cheating
Absolutely right and as such should be forbidden

I am a real man and as such own a "proper" barbarqueue
Old 06 May 2008, 09:01 PM
solaman
Scooby Regular

hi m8
regards to diff gas if you already have a gas bbq with a blue regulator and new one will have an orange one just swop them over and continue using current gas bottle till it runs out then swop them back over when u buy new gas bottle this is what i did and no problems all that needs to be done is undo jubilee clip and remove it to swop and job done.

damian.
Old 06 May 2008, 11:59 PM
Richiehash
Scooby Regular

bbq-only one way

gives this

richie

Last edited by Richiehash; 07 May 2008 at 12:01 AM. Reason: forgot pic of real mans fire
Old 07 May 2008, 06:04 AM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
Absolutely right and as such should be forbidden

I am a real man and as such own a "proper" barbarqueue
Too right
Old 07 May 2008, 06:16 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

I use a weber, but I think gas may be the way to go.
I find by the time I've cooked everyone elses burgers, sausages etc, that the BBQ is no longer hot enough to cook my expensive steak rare without broiling it.
I'm still working on it though. With a coal BBQ you learn something new every time!
Old 07 May 2008, 10:10 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I got an out back 2 burner; had it for 6 years now; used every weekend during the summer (weather prevailing) and left outside during winter (albeit under a cover).

Its been solid; wood needs teak oiling every year and that about it.

Its on it last legs now, as I had to weld a patch in on the steel that holds the burners in place. The drip tray is starting to go, and the steel on the lava-rock basket is wafer thin. Still, six years from £120 isn't bad IMO. Will probably buy the bigger version of the same next time; as they use the same burners and griddles.
Old 07 May 2008, 11:19 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
I canh't be arsed with the palava of charcoal and a 2 day wait for it to be "just right" to start cooking
That's because you're using a crap bbq

We have an Outback charcoal one and it's brilliant. The big difference is that the fire is in a suspended basket, so there's room for air to circulate under it. It's consistent, predictable, and ready to cook on in about 20 minutes.

We use it mostly for smoking and spit roasting pork joints, chickens and (best of all) ducks; with a little practise they come out perfect every time.

Besides, playing with fire is fun
Old 07 May 2008, 06:18 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

you might as well drag the cooker outside imo gas bbqs are cheating a mans need to make fire and provide

a good old brick bbq and an old shopping trolley bottom is the way to do it with some good old charcoal and matches

am i not correct in this matter ???
Old 07 May 2008, 07:25 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Not really: 'cos you can't "flame grill" burgers under the grill or in a frying pan...gas BBQ you can (providing its a good one with lava rock saturated in lots of lovely fatty juices).

Its the only way I cook my entrcote/ribeye...get the fat on fire...sear on the outside, and keep it slightly bloody in the middle. Melts in your mouth - delicious. Tried doing in the kitchen. Just can't be done well, not unless I drag the BBQ in there - grill doesn't get hot enough and a pan/hot plate just broils it.

How ever for the occasions; will do it the old fashioned way with the charcaol, but I'll be damned if I'm doing that every weekend

Now on Propane. Wish I did it sooner...Butane is crap - starts freezing before the bottle gets less than half empty so the output on teh BBQ is pathetic
Old 07 May 2008, 08:37 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

still love preparing a bbq though . gives me a sence of pleasure lol
Old 07 May 2008, 09:42 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Forgot to add: Research indicates that cooking with charcoal adds carcinogens to the food which eaten regularly enough can lead to a higher risk of colorectal cancer.....

Gas all the way.
Old 08 May 2008, 08:59 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

With respect, that's a very vague statement, and certainly not complete enough on which to base any kind of decision. Obvious questions which spring to mind are:

What research? By whom?
On how many people, over what period of time?
Are the alleged carcinogens produced by the charcoal, or by the burning meat juices when they hit the fire? In which case, does the fuel make any difference at all?
What is the alleged increase in risk? Is it statistically significant?
How much bbq food would I have to eat to give a measurable increase in risk?
How does that risk compare with the risk I take driving to work every day?

Even if it is true, I'm sure most of us are already well over the fact that some things in life that are fun and worth doing have risks associated with them. You only get one life, don't risk having a boring one!

Weather looks good for the weekend... smoky bbq ribs here we come
Old 08 May 2008, 10:29 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I been meaning to buy a deceny BBQ for ages, so this thread is perfect. Nice one.

PS im going gas too lol
Old 08 May 2008, 10:39 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

With all this talk of barbecues we should get a thread started of decent recipes and tips for barbecuing Summer sticky lol

Simon
Old 08 May 2008, 05:50 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
With respect, that's a very vague statement, and certainly not complete enough on which to base any kind of decision. Obvious questions which spring to mind are:

What research? By whom?
On how many people, over what period of time?
Are the alleged carcinogens produced by the charcoal, or by the burning meat juices when they hit the fire? In which case, does the fuel make any difference at all?
What is the alleged increase in risk? Is it statistically significant?
How much bbq food would I have to eat to give a measurable increase in risk?
How does that risk compare with the risk I take driving to work every day?

Even if it is true, I'm sure most of us are already well over the fact that some things in life that are fun and worth doing have risks associated with them. You only get one life, don't risk having a boring one!

Weather looks good for the weekend... smoky bbq ribs here we come
It was deliberately vague as to be perfectly honest I couldn't be arsed to trawl the internet for hours looking for papers to substantiate what was an off the cuff remark to prompt thought.

I would suggest that if you are interested, that you seek to dissprove what I said, I honestly ambivolent to whether I am proved incorrect or not.

Quick Reply: Gas BBQ advice please