Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Driving Without Road Tax

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2008, 09:22 AM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving Without Road Tax

Just realised that the road tax on company car I drive has expired (end April). Car is only 1 year old so the MOT is still valid and the insurance is through work so that's covered.

The tax disk usually gets sent through automatically by Lex (they sort it, not me).

Whats the consequence of me getting caught without valid tax (I know it does not need to be on the road for this to happen)? I'm assuming there would be a fine (paid by lex) but no licence points implication?
Old 05 May 2008, 09:28 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

I would think they apply directly to DVLA for it, and it will possibly get sent directly through the post ?

I retaxed my car just before the weekend, but am still using my car without the new tax disc displayed, any police officer will be able to find out straight away that my tax is all paid for(or at least I hope they can ).
Old 05 May 2008, 09:35 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CupraT
Just realised that the road tax on company car I drive has expired (end April). Car is only 1 year old so the MOT is still valid and the insurance is through work so that's covered.

The tax disk usually gets sent through automatically by Lex (they sort it, not me).

Whats the consequence of me getting caught without valid tax (I know it does not need to be on the road for this to happen)? I'm assuming there would be a fine (paid by lex) but no licence points implication?
The vehicle is your responsibility. If you drive it untaxed (assuming it is and the disk is just not in your posession) then it is your fault, you have a choice to drive it or not. In the same way Insurance, mot, tyres etc are your responsibility. When you take to the road the car is your responsibility to check it is lgeal and roadworthy condition.
Old 05 May 2008, 09:47 AM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
The vehicle is your responsibility. If you drive it untaxed (assuming it is and the disk is just not in your posession) then it is your fault, you have a choice to drive it or not. In the same way Insurance, mot, tyres etc are your responsibility. When you take to the road the car is your responsibility to check it is lgeal and roadworthy condition.
Cheers - but I can't even store in my drive under the same rules, so how do I get round that? Whats the penalty for getting caught?

PS Not an excuse but didn't realise the tax was due as it's been in the garage getting fixed for the last week!
Old 05 May 2008, 10:17 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

DVLA Vehicle Licensing Online | Vehicle Enquiry

Click on vehicle enquiry add the number and the model and it will show you if the car is currenty taxed.
At least if the car is taxed you wont get stopped by and ANPR fitted police car.
Old 05 May 2008, 10:36 AM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

cheers Wish....

Probably being thick but is the date of liability when the tax is due? Mine shows as 01/05/09 so assume that it has been taxed and just not sent to me?
Old 05 May 2008, 10:38 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Yes... Its been taxed !!
Old 05 May 2008, 10:45 AM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

The problem here is the offence is 'Failure to DISPLAY a valid tax disc' not failure to have paid the tax.

If you get a really **** copper you could be done for it. Tell you r fleet manager you won't be in work as the tax hasn't turned up so can't drive the vehicle, lets see how quickly it arrives...
Old 05 May 2008, 11:26 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Not realising it was not taxed is no excuse under the law I'm afraid. It is too easy to do of course, and I have also done that in the past. If you are caught I think that you will be liable as will your firm.

Les