Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Chemotherapy's effects on the brain

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2008, 11:05 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chemotherapy's effects on the brain

Just seen these news articles on recent findings of Chemotherapy's effects on the Brain and potential damage

Chemotherapy's Effects On The Brain

BBC NEWS | Health | Brain damage link to cancer drug

Chemotherapy 'may harm brains of patients' - Mirror.co.uk

Now I also read this in the Manchester Evening News on Saturday too, and today I have been to visit my Dad in hospital who has started his Chemo & Radiotherapy for his recently diagnosed bowel cancer

It was my Dad who showed me the article in the Manchester Evening News, but up until today he didnt know what Chemo he was having

Whilst seeing him tonight, he told me that he is indeed having the Chemo that is mentioned in the above articles, and he pointed it out to the Doctors and Nurses (but told them he didnt want them to stop his treatment, and that wasnt why he was telling them) but they all said they havent heard of it, which he found a bit surprising

So tommorrow I am printing out the above articles and am going to take them with me tomorrow night to give them to the nurses

I know its only a recent finding, but you would think they would have been made aware of it by now

I have had Chemo myself many years ago after battling with Cancer twice, however mine was a different Chemo more aggressive than my Dad's treatment and my brain has been ok (at least non of the potential effects that are mentioned in those articles)

Will be interesting to see what the Docs & Nurses make of the article, he is in Clatterbridge which is quite a reputable place by all accounts
Old 28 April 2008, 11:16 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Yeah read some articles about this recently, but its not the stuff mum is on.
Saying that it does seem she has lost the plot a bit at the mo.
Old 28 April 2008, 11:22 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Yeah read some articles about this recently, but its not the stuff mum is on.
Saying that it does seem she has lost the plot a bit at the mo.
Chemo does that to you anyway Snazy, at least in my experience it does, although not quite the losing marbles sense, more a case that is f*cks your brain up a bit
Old 29 April 2008, 12:17 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Hmmm Cancer and a horrible death or go a bit doo lally and out with the faeries...

I know which option I'd choose
Old 29 April 2008, 08:43 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Yup....our pal Helen needs to keep a diary for the simplest thing at the moment and we have nick-named her Dory (finding Nemo) as the Chemo forgetfullness is just comical ......

One of the bravest buggers I've ever seen though
Old 29 April 2008, 10:29 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well like Sonic I have been through the Chemo bit as well. I was on Capecitamine tablets. or Xeloda. Not the same as 3-FU I hope. It is true that it does take you out a bit Snazy while you are on it.

I also had a quad bypass about 4 years ago and that can cause a bit of brain damage as well by little bits of plaque from the arteries during the op blocking the blood vessels in the brain. I did notice a bit of forgetfullness after that op and still have it now at times.

As Fuzz says-I know which I would prefer out of the choices.

Les
Old 29 April 2008, 10:47 AM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

5FU has been kicking around for years, it's a standard 1st line treatment for colo-rectal cancer and has probably been taken by millions of people. Of course there are side effects, but I've not heard of any overwhelming physiological effect on the brain.

I would say with everything else in consideration, that you shouldn't be concerned with the results of one animal study v the overall health and prognosis of your father. By all means discuss it with the Oncologists, hopefully they will reinforce that there is nothing to get concerned about.

Hope your Dad does OK btw